Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-05-2018, 04:14 AM   #1

Talking New Owner of 2018 33.3 (well almost owner)

HELLO! Thought I'd give a quick intro to our family since I'm spending a lot of time lurking in these forums! DH and I are buying our first ever RV! We have put a down payment on a 2018 used Palazzo 33.3 coach at Camping World in Northern CA. They're doing all the dealer prep stuff and we are scheduled to pick it up on June 23rd. (this is our desired date).

In early July, we're leaving for 17-21 day trip with our two kids (11 & 9) and two cats to travel a Northern Route across the US to land us in our new hometown in NC. Confession ~ we've never RVd before and have never even camped. It feels a little crazy to have just jumped in with all 16 of our feet and purchased 34 more to make our way. But I know we're going to have the most grand adventure! How often does an average family travel 1 way across the US!

Of course, I'll be looking through the forums, but if you have any insight or advice you'd like to give this newbie family, I'm all ears! This week, these are the things on my mind. 1) Insurance for the coach - who & what's needed and what's not. 2) What sort of condition should I expect the coach to be in when we arrive for our walk through? What should I have on my list to inspect? 3)Extended Warranty- evidently the coach doesn't come with a thor warranty - so where to we purchase one? 4) Camping organizations - what are these?

Excited to be joining you all!
Susan
mom2my2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2018, 05:26 AM   #2

Congrats on your new coach. Thereís are many active Thor Palazzo owners on this forum who will give you great advice.

Since you have never camped before, and especially because this rig is new, Iíd suggest you practice camp at a local campground close to home. That way you can familiarize yourself with your new rig and figure out what isnít working properly while close to your home and dealer before you take off on a long road trip far away from home base.

Have fun!
ualdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 07:25 AM   #3

So fun! So just to give you some background, we are a family of 6 total, with the 4 kids ranging from 13 to 6. We bought our 33.3 new last year after about 4 days of thinking we might like a small trailer, no a small class C, oh what about small A, oh man look at this DP! We had never been camping as a family, and had never owned an RV or trailer of any type. I equate the first time driving it as the first time I brought a kid home from the hospital. I had no clue what I was doing, or how I was even going to drive it home! I basically watched YouTube videos on how to drive, how to back into spots, how to operate things, and how the systems worked. Since then I have done tons of things too upgrade our unit and just really enjoy it.

Really any issues we have had were from stupid things like, "Why won't the slides move?!" And it always turns out to be something like the fact the engine ignition is turned on.

I also suggest finding a local place to camp out, next to a Target or Walmart. You will realize all the stuff you are missing pretty quickly trying to stay a couple of nights. There are things you forget to put on a list like can openers or oven mitts that are such a pain when you are somewhere very remote.

Feel free to ask tons of questions and I will list some of the upgrades we did in case you have any questions about one in particular.

Upgraded invertor to full sine hybrid - MSH3012
Also upgraded ARC panel and web monitoring
Added in motion satellite
Multi WAN internet setup
SafeT-Plus steering stabilizer
Water softener and filtering system
The pressure monitoring
Found the stupid trailer break cable they hid (personal victory, haha)
Added progressive surge suppressor
Added an alarm system
Made a grill attachment for propane
Changed out that bathroom door handle so that it actually has a lock!
Dashcamera and GPS were added
drivintin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 08:22 AM   #4

Congrats !!! We have put 22000 miles on our 33.3. ( 2 cross country trips) We have had everything from a pop up to a large gas rv, but that was years ago so This Palazzo was like starting over for us so to speak, except for the rv basics..... On line videos are most helpful as well as this great forum !!!!
As you roll along you will find a few things you will want to modify to make it your own. Don't over whelm your self with all that at this point.
Two things I would focus on and research right away.
1 Good Surge protector
2 water pressure regulator ( I purchased these on Line before I picked up the coach)
Also Familiarize your self with the Freightliner, cummins, allison transmission portion. (maintenance, operation etc.....Great videos online)
Pay attention to your over head clearances - Trees, Awnings etc. as well as the clearances below, these rigs sit pretty low so transitions from parking lots to streets can be very tricky.
We joined Good Sams, Koa and purchased a National Park Pass, All of which have paid for them selves especially since we travel long distances.

I think there are a few threads on here about pre delivery check lists and extended warranties that are very helpful.
Enjoy and ask Questions !!!!!
Robf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 02:06 PM   #5

I agree with all that has been said. I have been RVing with my family of 5 kids (now none---but now 4 grandkids) since 1993. It is a fabulous way to spend a lot of money on the quality family time we all need.

Realize that the dealer is in all likelihood not going to divulge all problems or instruct you well enough on all systems to operate them at first. Come to this awesome forum for answers.

You will have many little problems you discover with the RV. That is normal for all brands. Enjoy, don't get stressed and just make some minor repairs.

My number one piece of advice is GO CAMP in two different scenarios at least 3 or 4 nights, and drive in various conditions before the big trip. I advise the following scenarios the more small trips the better:
1. Boondocking somewhere with no hookups to see how things work, how batteries last, test all systems for a couple of nights.

2. Go somewhere with full hookups and test those systems and get accustomed to hooking up, draining tanks, backing into spots near hookups, etc.

If you don't test everything, you might not find a real problem until the big trip, in the middle of nowhere.

You will love the Palazzo! Best deal in a DP on the market.

Have fun, practice, and ask us for help!
Old 06-05-2018, 09:58 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvuk View Post
You will love the Palazzo! Best deal in a DP on the market.
I agree with this comment 1000%! Congrats on your soon-to-be new-to-you coach, a great choice! And BRAVO for going big and bold and taking your planned adventure.

Be sure to do the Pre Delivery Inspection (PDI) BEFORE signing if possible. I have an extensive PDI spreadsheet for the Palazzo, PM me your email and I'll send it out to you.

Best wishes, and as Ed says, ask all the questions you have and get out and use the new toy!
JBDALHB is offline   Reply With Quote