Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-17-2022, 02:46 PM   #1

New Tires Project Report

My experience using motorhometires.com.
After much research I decided to use MotorHomeTires.com They weren't the least expensive option but it certainly was the easiest method and it turned out very successfully! I went with Toyo tires. They are a popular choice on this forum and were certainly among my top 3 options. I ordered a six tire set with an all-inclusive deal (FET, shipping, bead balancing, tire valves and mobile installation). They also guarantee D.O.M.'s within the past 6-7 months. All of my new tires have DOM's within the past 6 months. The tires arrived at the local installers shop literally the next day. The beads and valve stems shipped separately and arrived in 4 days. I also took this opportunity to replace four of my steel wheels with Alcoa aluminum wheels. I ordered these from buytruckwheels,com and received them the next day as well. In both cases, tires and wheels, they shipped from locations in Texas and we live in central Texas. I don't often get that lucky.

Installation:
Here is where the extra cost of using MHT.com was worth it to me. The work was done at my shop, at my home. I was able to "supervise", I mean observe, the whole job. I didn't have to empty out the coach and drive it somewhere and leave it with anyone. Very, very convenient and for me it is critical that I either do the work or be able to observe it being done. The installer (from a local tire shop) was very competent and did an excellent job. He took special care working with the new aluminum wheels. I wanted to see the wheels on the coach before I ordered any center hub covers and those got ordered today. Very happy customer! Very happy to have the tire replacement project behind me. Very happy to finally get the aluminum wheels I've always wanted. I've had a good day!

Name:   IMG_2017 Small.jpeg
Views: 26
Size:  28.1 KB

Name:   IMG_2016 Small.jpeg
Views: 27
Size:  26.5 KB
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2022, 03:03 PM   #2

We'd like to see the wheels after the center caps are installed. Looking good so far.
Old 05-19-2022, 05:41 AM   #3

I was also thinking about replacing all 6 tires and wheels. If you get a chance can you post a list of part numbers/ tire sizes etc. and include center caps info.
Old 05-19-2022, 07:53 AM   #4

Here are the specific parts I used for this tire replacement project:
From motorhometires.com - Six Toyo M122 255/70R 22.5 tires, valve stems, balancing beads, FET, shipping and mobile install included. $3,948

From buytruckwheels.com - four Alcoa 22.5 x 8.25 (diameter x width)
10 x 285mm (number of wheel studs x diameter of wheel stud circle)
Pilot hub centered wheels Part # ULT397. Alcoa part # is ULT39X the digit in the X place designates the type of finish. Mine are un-coated, high polish, both sides. $ 1,208

From buytruckwheels.com - one, two axle set (2 front hubs and 2rear hubs) center hub covers. Brand is Trux. Part # - 11003. This particular set uses a center hub cover retained by 10 screw-on lug nut covers. I went this route as I might have to modify the rear covers to fit over the one lug that retains my Cross Fire Tire Pressure Equalizers. I can modify one lug position and still have 9 others to retain the hub cover. You have to have a minimum of 4 threads showing to use these and that is exactly what I have on the rears with the aluminum wheels. $270

Several places where I found a better price on the tires did not have any in stock. In fact motorhometires.com had six Uniroyals that I initially wanted but they were gone when I went to order. Also, prices have gone up since I ordered mine. Not a good time for this costly project but it's only going to get worse IMHO.
Old 05-28-2022, 08:04 AM   #5

Here is the final product with the center hub covers. The rear hubs were successfully modified to fit over the Crossfire equalizer brackets and still accept a threaded lug nut cover. Very pleased with the results!

Name:   IMG_2027 Small.jpeg
Views: 24
Size:  27.8 KB

Name:   IMG_2031 Small.jpeg
Views: 20
Size:  29.6 KB
Old 06-05-2022, 09:29 AM   #6

Just returned from a 750 mile round trip to Amarillo on the new wheels and tires. The ride was very smooth and the balancing beads must be working as advertised. This is my first use of BB's and I must say I was skeptical at first. Monitoring with my Eez TPMS the pressures rose about 10 psi as the tires heated up. The pressures and the temperatures remained stable and aligned with ambient conditions throughout the trip. It was unseasonably cool in Amarillo while we were there. Tire pressures were low when we started the return trip (as you would suspect at 50F) but came up to +10 over "my normal" pressure as they heated up. My normal pressure for my rig weight is 95psi front and rears. Very pleased with the Toyos so far. If the aluminum wheels added anything to the ride it would be hard to discern, but, DAMN they look good! Highest diesel price we paid was $5.09 in Amarillo. $4.99 back at home and saw a $4.79 just a few miles from home but stupidly passed it up. I find I will pay a little more for "easy in and out" and for truck islands that have pay-at-the-pump and higher flow rates. It was funny that the high flow rate truck pump cut off at an odd amount then I figured it out. The credit card wanted to cut off at $200 but with the high flow and high price it couldn't nail $200 exactly so it cut off at $197.39. When I released the trigger then tried again it trickled a few more cents then stopped altogether. Price is so high the computer can't flow a small enough amount to stop on a dime so to speak. $Happy$ Travels Everyone!
Old 06-08-2022, 11:08 AM   #7

Looks awesome! I'll be buying tires in a couple years and was wondering if anyone looked into a larger sidewall like a 265 x 75 x 22.5. I saw a MH with that upgraded size and it looked great and was told the ride was a little better, Just concerned with fitment.
Old 06-10-2022, 08:17 AM   #8

Gearhead77 - I agree a "taller" tire might benefit the Palazzo but I am also concerned about wheel well clearance. The current tire (255/70) doesn't leave much room as it is. I've decided to "leave well enough alone" on tire size. I too would like to hear if anyone has successfully done this.
Old 06-16-2022, 05:47 PM   #9

Also, see the classified section. I have the original stainless steel wheel simulators listed there.

Tags
tire, tires