Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:44 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Palazzo mods | upgrades

Thought we could use a thread showing off any mods and/or upgrades that we do to our Palazzos.
gmadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2013, 09:47 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am currently at Magna Shade being set up for front and side sun screens. Roger is a great guy to deal with. Once we get them installed I will post some pics.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:08 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Look forward to seeing the results.
Has anyone installed outside window awnings?
tcopeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:57 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcopeland View Post
Look forward to seeing the results.
Has anyone installed outside window awnings?
I haven't considered window awnings and probably won't get them.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:34 PM   #5

this should be a good thread... good idea!

I know some have put the curtains (behind the driver/passenger chairs) to keep the HVAC more efficient.... I like that mod.
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:37 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Here is the windshield shade installed and Roger is working on the passenger side

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130221_213644.png
Views:	1247
Size:	552.8 KB
ID:	33884
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ForumRunner_20130221_213729.png
Views:	742
Size:	555.6 KB
ID:	33885  
Old 02-21-2013, 08:51 PM   #7

I want " PALAZZO" embroidered across mine. Ha
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:34 PM   #8

Air Horns!

I found a nice set of dual air horns with a built in air solenoid valve for $38 on Ebay. I am going to mount them under the hood up front to keep it simple. This should be as simple as running an air line from the distribution block under the hood to the horn solenoid, then running 2 wires from the solenoid to the current horn. That way they will honk with the steering wheel just like stock but give you that big rig sound

Weather permitting I'll do the install this weekend and post up a few pictures.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:52 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChallengerRN View Post
I want " PALAZZO" embroidered across mine. Ha
I am sure that they can do that. They do a lot of different design shades so one with PALAZZO imprinted on the screen would not be a problem.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:15 PM   #10

Air Horn Install

This is a super easy mod and makes your horn MUCH LOUDER so it is a safety engancement too. Not too mention it just sounds great

The dual horns I bought on Ebay are from Gearhead World Item# 230921049716. They were $39.00.

For mounting I chose to mount them facing down for ease of install and to keep them from collecting dirt or moisture. There is a nice flat metal plate on the left side of the compartment if you are facing the rig with the generator access hatch open. Just drill a couple of 1/4" holes and they bolt up nice and tight.

On the right side of the compartment down towards the bottom you will see your stock electric horn. All you need is a couple of crimp taps, put one on each horn wire and attach about a 4' wire extension from each over to the air horn solenoid. Attach the wires to the solenoid (it doesnt matter which wire goes to which side).

You can use a slip on 3/16" air hose with clamps but I used 2 air shocks type fittings that accept 1/4" plastic air lines. 1 screws into the horns to replace the slip on fitting provided, the other goes to the air manifold. You can get those at any parts store for a few bucks. I also chose to use a quick disconnect fitting and plug the horns into the air manifold just like a hose you would use to air up your tires (vs permanently screwing them in). That way, in the unlikely event the air solenoid on the horns were to break, you can just unplug them from the manifold. This way you dont end up stranded with your brakes locked up. Very easy to unplug the air to the horns, plug in your hose to air up your tires, then plug the horn back in.

Make sure you have air pressure built up and push your horn button on the steering wheel. You will be quite pleased with the improvement. Nice things is you still have the stock electric horn (though it isnt very loud) as a back up. Its always a good idea to spray some soapy water around all of the air connections you made to confirm you have no leaks. Be sure and tie wrap up any loose air lines or wiring.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	horns.jpg
Views:	794
Size:	194.5 KB
ID:	33945   Click image for larger version

Name:	tubing.jpg
Views:	738
Size:	211.3 KB
ID:	33946  

Old 02-24-2013, 06:02 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmadams View Post
Here is the windshield shade installed and Roger is working on the passenger side
Gary,

It is my understanding that these shades are designed to keep the coach cooler in the summer? Was there a reason you selected black?

Thanks!
Jack
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:12 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVRandy View Post
This is a super easy mod and makes your horn MUCH LOUDER so it is a safety engancement too. Not too mention it just sounds great

The dual horns I bought on Ebay are from Gearhead World Item# 230921049716. They were $39.00.

For mounting I chose to mount them facing down for ease of install and to keep them from collecting dirt or moisture. There is a nice flat metal plate on the left side of the compartment if you are facing the rig with the generator access hatch open. Just drill a couple of 1/4" holes and they bolt up nice and tight.

On the right side of the compartment down towards the bottom you will see your stock electric horn. All you need is a couple of crimp taps, put one on each horn wire and attach about a 4' wire extension from each over to the air horn solenoid. Attach the wires to the solenoid (it doesnt matter which wire goes to which side).

You can use a slip on 3/16" air hose with clamps but I used 2 air shocks type fittings that accept 1/4" plastic air lines. 1 screws into the horns to replace the slip on fitting provided, the other goes to the air manifold. You can get those at any parts store for a few bucks. I also chose to use a quick disconnect fitting and plug the horns into the air manifold just like a hose you would use to air up your tires (vs permanently screwing them in). That way, in the unlikely event the air solenoid on the horns were to break, you can just unplug them from the manifold. This way you dont end up stranded with your brakes locked up. Very easy to unplug the air to the horns, plug in your hose to air up your tires, then plug the horn back in.

Make sure you have air pressure built up and push your horn button on the steering wheel. You will be quite pleased with the improvement. Nice things is you still have the stock electric horn (though it isnt very loud) as a back up. Its always a good idea to spray some soapy water around all of the air connections you made to confirm you have no leaks. Be sure and tie wrap up any loose air lines or wiring.
Nice installation! Now I need to talk the DW into this add-on...all I hear is why do we need on of those noisy things? It may take some time but I know I can wear her down :-)
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:16 AM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArnolds View Post
Gary,

It is my understanding that these shades are designed to keep the coach cooler in the summer? Was there a reason you selected black?

Thanks!
Jack
Jack,

Yes they are supposed to keep the coach cooler in the summer. What I like is that we are able to see out during the day and if you are outside looking in you can't see inside the coach. At night if you are outside looking in one can see inside the coach if the interior lights are on.

The reason that I chose black is with our paint scheme I thought that it would look better than any other color. Magna Shade is only located about an hour away from me and I had it done on my way down to Gaffney.

Gary
Old 02-24-2013, 06:20 AM   #14

Boy I missed that one!! I thought for sure you were a Purdue fan like me and staying with the great Black & Gold. Lol
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote