Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 01:55 PM   #1415

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butte64 View Post

Jacks are hydraulic. Hydraulic system and fluid reservoir, which should be checked regularly, in upper left corner of generator compartment.
There are many threads on the slide problems with the large full wall slides. I've had Thor factory fix mine. They got mine working good. I'd say if you have a 2013 and maybe some 2014's and haven't had problems you are for sure an exception. I love my coach but I feel that I will always be having issues with the big slide. They are just trying to move too much weight with too small of hardware.

I do everything right every time just like they explained at the factory. It to me just sound weak and will make popping noises. But right now go in & out just fine. I think it was March that they fixed mine. I think the big thing is keep as much electrical power to it as you can. Run generator or plug into shore power before working that slide. The small slide don't matter.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2013, 02:51 PM   #1416

Greetings Fellow Palazzo Owners:

it has been a while since I last posted but I have a question begging to be answered. On the 33.2 we purchased in March, there is a 4-wire connecter (pink, white, orange, red wires) in the front left compartment, top, center, that is not connected to it's matching half. I will try to attach a photo for your viewing.

My question: What does the connector serve and is it connected in your coach? I am reluctant to connect the two until I know more about the wiring. Your thoughts and comments would be appreciated.

On more routine matters, we, like many of you 33.2 and 36.1 owners, have had problems with the big slide back in March. We tried local Thor repair service facilities with no success and returned to Elkhart late April for factory attention. They replaced the entire mechanisms on both ends and the gears started chewing up the new racks after 5-6 cycles. Schwintek was contacted and we left the coach with Thor for almost a month while they and Schwinteck redesigned the repair. I believe our rig was the first to receive the new steel drive shafts, gears and rollers. My wife and I were appreciative of the way Thor handled the problem and treated us while they resolved what was obviously developing into a major redesign of the slide mechanism. We looked at other Thor and competitors units and there were none we really cared for. We were glad we had the patience to allow the factory and slide manufacturer techs to develop the best repair. It has been three months since that repair and the slide has functioned flawlessly. It is smooth and moves in unison front and back. We are happy campers.

This week, our 8.1 hour Onan did not start and, like many of you, had the fuel pump replaced at J&D Power in Deerfield, NH. Excellent folks who ordered the part and put it in (under warranty of course) in just over an hour. After the generator failed to start, the three blink service light came on the start button. If you rock the start button toward the stop position, it would blink once and then seven times indicating a "17" error code. A call to the Onan rep confirmed the fuel pump failure.

Despite the major and minor glitches, we continue to be satisfied Thor Palazzo customers and are happy with our dealer, Total Value RV in Elkhart, our salesman Dave Olsen and the service reps at Thor who have assisted us with the various problem resolutions.

Hope to see you guys on the road sometime.

Frank and Bonnie Schaub 33.2 ( Palazzo is our only home for the next year)
4,900 miles
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1358.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	234.7 KB
ID:	45060  
Old 08-30-2013, 03:05 PM   #1417

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Sorry, I can't help as I have no loose connectors in my 33.1
Old 08-30-2013, 03:07 PM   #1418

Mine is hooked up. I tried to send a pic??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3192066357.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	440.4 KB
ID:	45061  
Old 08-30-2013, 03:11 PM   #1419

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChallengerRN View Post
Mine is hooked up. I tried to send a pic??
The pic I sent is on a 2013. 33.2
Old 08-30-2013, 06:34 PM   #1420

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Someone said they could find only 2 moisture ejection lanyards on their Palazzo and I don't recall if that was answered. So tonight I put front tires up on blocks and took a close look. On the passenger side I looked behind the wheel as suggested and saw a lanyard up front. So I went in front of the wheel and was able to reach it and pull. Then I saw another lanyard behind the wheel close to the wall of the storage bay. So I went back behind the wheel and with a small garden took I was able to pull the lanyard.

On the driver side I looked from in front of the wheel while dodging the generator exhaust. Again using the garden tool I was able to pull it. Don't know if it might have been easier from behind the wheel.

Since I am in a humid climate I was expecting to see a spray or mist but saw nothing, just heard the sound of air being released. So I suppose the automatic system is working.

Keep safety first when you do this
Old 08-30-2013, 07:27 PM   #1421

Thanks,

The title said 2013.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:11 PM   #1422

Hi Gingerella,

On our last Class C trip, I realized that it was fatiguing to drive and I should be able to hear the radio at 60 mph. DW found a gas unit with a rear bath, that led us to the 36.1.
I like the machine, love the drive train, love the fuel mileage. I competed with Cummins for 45 years in the engine business and have to say that ISB 6.7 is an excellent engine and the drive train is perfectly matched to the coach.

From my early experiences and reading this forum, Thor apparently has no quality control whatsoever. I do not know if this QA/QC problem is unique to Thor or standard to this industry.

The worst issue we had was that the shower door did not fit well. Upon inspection, the wall between the shower and the BR was 5/8" out of plumb, top to bottom, causing the door not to fit. The plastic, fake tile panels in the shower were loose and the shower fixture was loose on the wall. I didn't like the patch job CW attempted at time of delivery, so I went ahead and fixed it. My gripe is that the shower was poorly "patched" at the factory, prior to shipment, all was to compensate for the wall being out of plumb.

All the other issues were minor, fit and finish items, except for the generator fuel pump failure at 6 hours, the day after delivery. It would be too much to expect anyone to repair before failure an item that everyone knew was bad.
You have to ask yourself what type of help they have that cannot tell 40C from 40F. I would not have known about the fan thermostat problem without this forum. The Thor tech rep was no help on this.

Please understand, I am reasonably satisfied but having purchasing something that costs as much as a house with concealed defects that the manufacturer could have caught is very disappointing. I'm holding my breath over the slide motor problem.

I would recommend that you pre delivery your unit for at least 4 hours. Most recommend that you use it over night. Run the slides in and out multiple times, try every door, drawer and switch. In fairness to Thor, an RV is like a boat. 35 or more bought out vendor items, integrated together in one box. Some problems and issues are to be expected.

Good luck with your new purchase. Hold the dealer's feet to the fire on any and all service issues, the Palazzo is worth it.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:34 PM   #1423

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigman_sr View Post
Greetings Fellow Palazzo Owners:

"My question: What does the connector serve and is it connected in your coach? I am reluctant to connect the two until I know more about the wiring. Your thoughts and comments would be appreciated."
Mine are also plugged together on my 2014 33.2. Makes me wonder what is not working on your unit.

Happy Trails
Old 08-30-2013, 09:33 PM   #1424

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianjim View Post
Thanks,

The title said 2013.
Now I would be calling Thor
Old 08-31-2013, 05:27 AM   #1425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianjim View Post
Thanks,

The title said 2013.
The title is for the chassis and you very likely have a 2013 Freightliner chassis. If you have flush mounted windows it is a 2014 Palazzo model...these were not introduced until the 2014 model year.
Old 08-31-2013, 05:39 AM   #1426

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
According to the brochures, the 36.1 was first available as a 2013 model. It is shown in the 10/2012 brochure as 2013 model. Even the 12/2012 brochure shows the 36.1 as a 2013 model.

http://thormotorcoach.com/media/docu...hers-Flyer.pdf

http://thormotorcoach.com/media/docu...ch-12-2012.pdf

I'm with Jack. Check to see when the chassis and the body was manufactured. It could be a 2013 chassis but built as a 2014 depending on the date the body was assembled.
Old 08-31-2013, 02:21 PM   #1427

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcopeland View Post
You are not the first with this issue with the large slide. The fix appears the same for everyone.
If I had a 33.2/3 I would call Thor and get the parts just to wait for the shoe to drop.
We do not seem to have the issue with 33.1 short slide.
I have had a slide issue on my 33.1 from day one. Took possession in October 2012. Went back to the dealer but that was a wasted trip. Was at Thor Service in July to have it taken care of. Just returned from an 1100 hundred mile trip and the popping and cracking noises are back. Also the bedroom slide has started doing the same thing. In the process of sending a letter to Thor explaining the situation. Will wait and see what they say. It's an 1800 mile round trip to the factory. I'm a little disappointed to say the least that it wasn't done right.
Old 08-31-2013, 03:04 PM   #1428

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramps2578 View Post
I have had a slide issue on my 33.1 from day one. Took possession in October 2012. Went back to the dealer but that was a wasted trip. Was at Thor Service in July to have it taken care of. Just returned from an 1100 hundred mile trip and the popping and cracking noises are back. Also the bedroom slide has started doing the same thing. In the process of sending a letter to Thor explaining the situation. Will wait and see what they say. It's an 1800 mile round trip to the factory. I'm a little disappointed to say the least that it wasn't done right.
Is the noise you describe when the slide is going out and in or when traveling?

Do you use the travel bar?

I have heard and read recommendations from not using the travel bar to installing two of them.

Is there any indication of a problem other than the noise?
Closed Thread