Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 05:55 PM   #1807

Tom,
Supposedly, if you use a light, short tug on the bottom of the shade and let go - it will retract.

The company that supplied the shades is United Shade of Elkhart, IN. Their phone # is 574-262-0954. Cheryl Reed can email you instructions and a PDF file on the operation of the blinds. There are adjustment knobs (black and clear knobs) which control speed and height settings. Try the light, short tug at the bottom and let go -- maybe that will do the trick.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2013, 05:07 AM   #1808

Water Leak

Thor Customer Service found and fixed my water leak. In fact there were two, one was a split hose behind the panel that has the valves for switching from city water to normal, etc. there was enough hose to allow them to cut out the bad part and clamp the hose back place.

The second one was the water pump and they change it for a new one that I had purchased some time ago. Thanks to this forum and others reporting that they had a pump body crack I had a spare pump. The new pump is of better quality then the stock pump provided by Thor.

We will be headed out for points south this morning.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:17 AM   #1809

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redridge View Post
That happened to me, I had to play with the wheels on the side to give it some tension.

Here are some info.

Many thanks for the info and link. I have wondered about adjustments. The ability to get to the adjustment wheels is limited but knowing what they are should help.
Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
Old 09-24-2013, 07:41 AM   #1810

In a a couple of months I will winterize my Palazzo for the first time and I have not figured out how to deal with the switch in the wet bay. I like to first blow air through all of the lines and then fill them with antifreeze. There must be a sequence of switch position to cycle through all of the lines but I have not figured it out yet. Part of my problem is the routing in each switch setting is hard to determine. Is there a drain for the fresh water tank. How do you winterize the ice maker. My previous Thor MH was an Ultrasport DP and it was nice and simple. It will take a lot more to understand the Palazzo plumbing. I expect that Thor has a good written procedure but I have some doubts about that. A couple of posts about cracked water pumps tells me that some of the winterization has not been complete enough.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:48 AM   #1811

there was a recommendation of cutting a garden hose and attaching it to the water inlet. Pour antifreeze into the garden hose. Elevate the garden hose and flip the selector switch in all position to let antifreeze drain into the switch and passed it.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:56 AM   #1812

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LT View Post
Tom, Supposedly, if you use a light, short tug on the bottom of the shade and let go - it will retract. The company that supplied the shades is United Shade of Elkhart, IN. Their phone # is 574-262-0954. Cheryl Reed can email you instructions and a PDF file on the operation of the blinds. There are adjustment knobs (black and clear knobs) which control speed and height settings. Try the light, short tug at the bottom and let go -- maybe that will do the trick.
Thanks! Got it
Love this site.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:06 AM   #1813

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Walker View Post
In a a couple of months I will winterize my Palazzo for the first time and I have not figured out how to deal with the switch in the wet bay. I like to first blow air through all of the lines and then fill them with antifreeze. There must be a sequence of switch position to cycle through all of the lines but I have not figured it out yet. Part of my problem is the routing in each switch setting is hard to determine. Is there a drain for the fresh water tank. How do you winterize the ice maker. My previous Thor MH was an Ultrasport DP and it was nice and simple. It will take a lot more to understand the Palazzo plumbing. I expect that Thor has a good written procedure but I have some doubts about that. A couple of posts about cracked water pumps tells me that some of the winterization has not been complete enough.
I, too, was wondering the same thing. I have no idea how to winterize the ice maker either, much less how to correctly winterize everything else. Is there a 'Total DP Newbie' explanation of this process that someone is willing to share? I need the detailed version, or more like the 'Keep It Simple Stupid' version.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:17 AM   #1814

Thor Owners Club
I am wondering if any of you have stink bugs in your neck of the woods. Here in Maryland, we have been inundated with them for the past few years. Not only are do they stink, but they are quite invasive. They are also very resistant to pesticides. As luck would have it, we store our unit at an outdoor RV storage facility that is surrounded by farmland. We found several in our couch after it had been parked for only two days. This weekend when we went to wash our unit, we found them everywhere on the outside and a few inside again.

I climbed on the roof of the unit and took a look at the five roof vents. I opened one up and noticed that there is a half inch gap around the black rubber tube, a welcome entry for these bugs. These things get into any crevice they can find to seek warmth. Oh, and they lay 400 eggs a day!

I went to HD and bought some screen replacement fabric and draped a piece over each of the vent openings, secured it with a plastic zip tie, then replaced the cap. I'm not sure how effective that will be, but it's gotta be better than nothing.

I'm sure there are many other openings in the undercarriage and other areas, but I'm not sure how to tackle that. We've put two dozen Irish Spring bars throughout the compartments both inside and out. I'm sure anyone driving past us will be able to smell the Irish Spring fragrance as we roll on down the road.

I'm not sure what else we can do to keep pests and rodents out, particularly stink bugs, but I'd love to hear any suggestions and advice you may have.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:31 AM   #1815

Thor Owners Club
I'd never driven a DP or diesel anything until two and a half weeks ago. Last week, we drove our new Palazzo from MD to Gaffney, SC. One thing I noticed was just how often folks would cut me off in the right lane, especially if I wasn't driving 80mph like the majority (on roads where the speed limit was 70mph). I found myself having to use my horn on one occasion. Boy, was I surprised when I heard how dinky sounding the horn is!

I few days ago, I stumbled upon this youtube video by accident and couldn't help but laugh out loud. If you've ever had to honk your Palazzo horn when you've been nearly slaughtered by some careless driver, I'm sure you can relate and laugh along with me when you watch this.

Nathan Train Horns in a RV - YouTube
Old 09-24-2013, 09:33 AM   #1816

I followed up my own question by calling Thor and talked to Tom Overton who is one of the more knowledgeable tech support people. I got a sketchy answer which was really to take the MH to a dealer and let them winterize it. That is totally unacceptable to me. I pushed Tom for a way for me to do the winterizing at home and save the $50 in fuel and probably $100 in dealer cost to have it done, not to mention the day it would take for me to go there. I have one of the better dealers but I don't fully trust them. Tom offered that it takes an external pump like the one inside the MH to pump antifreeze into the city water inlet. Also, about half a gallon of antifreeze should be put into the freshwater tank using the Fill setting on the valve. Then pump antifreeze through the internal pump to draw it into those lines. I asked about the ice maker and Tom said to just drain it to just open the low point drain. I find that unsatisfactory because a small diameter tube won't drain unless air can enter the tube outlet at the ice maker. It looks like we need a better procedure than Thor provides.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:54 AM   #1817

The easiest way to winterize is to move the Florida!!
Old 09-24-2013, 10:06 AM   #1818

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Quote:
I followed up my own question by calling Thor and talked to Tom Overton who is one of the more knowledgeable tech support people. I got a sketchy answer which was really to take the MH to a dealer and let them winterize it. That is totally unacceptable to me. I pushed Tom for a way for me to do the winterizing at home and save the $50 in fuel and probably $100 in dealer cost to have it done, not to mention the day it would take for me to go there. I have one of the better dealers but I don't fully trust them. Tom offered that it takes an external pump like the one inside the MH to pump antifreeze into the city water inlet. Also, about half a gallon of antifreeze should be put into the freshwater tank using the Fill setting on the valve. Then pump antifreeze through the internal pump to draw it into those lines. I asked about the ice maker and Tom said to just drain it to just open the low point drain. I find that unsatisfactory because a small diameter tube won't drain unless air can enter the tube outlet at the ice maker. It looks like we need a better procedure than Thor provides.
I use air to blow out the lines after opening the low point drains. Also open the pressure valve on the water heater (lets the hot water lines drain). Pull the plug on the hot water heater. For the ice maker I turn off, let drain then turn the valve under the stove to the off position. Pour a little antifreeze in the shower, toilet bowel, & sinks.
It does not get that cold here but if we have a really cold spell, I put a heater in the MH pointed under the sink to keep those lines warm.
Has worked so far.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:34 AM   #1819

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Here is what I did last fall when I winterized:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/pala...ml#post1372210
Old 09-24-2013, 12:33 PM   #1820

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmadams View Post
Here is what I did last fall when I winterized:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/pala...ml#post1372210
The referenced procedure looks nearly complete. I learned today that in order to run antifreeze into the ice maker you can take the cover off of the ice maker and jumper 120V onto the valve to open it. Also, I don't think that the Winterizing valve setting reaches quite all of the water lines. For example the fill line for the fresh water tank. The valve settings for Normal and City Water might have some lines that need anti freeze.
Closed Thread