Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 04:50 PM   #1877

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcopeland View Post
Now I know what he's saying.
Didn't know the compressor was behind the generator. Thought it was on the engine.
Tom,

The compressor is on the engine and the air manifold where he would connect an air hose, is in the generator compartment. The air manifold gets its air from the storage tanks.

Thanks!
Jack
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2013, 04:59 PM   #1878

Any one know what male air connector fits that female quick connect for air.
Old 09-28-2013, 05:13 PM   #1879

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcopeland View Post
Now I know what he's saying.
Didn't know the compressor was behind the generator. Thought it was on the engine.
It is not behind generator or on the engine.

Open the generator compartment. While looking into the compartment look in the upper area to the left of center. On the far left is the jack hydraulic tank. To the right of that assembly is the air manifold. It sticks straight out which makes it easy to connect but a little hard to see. I carry a spare air line with me and it proved very useful when we had a tire on the toad start to go flat.

Somewhere on another forum is a detailed explanation of how to hook up a gauge and shutoff valve to be able to use the manifold for airing up the coach tires at over 100 PSI.
Old 09-28-2013, 05:32 PM   #1880

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridinbear View Post
My understanding is there are two standards for the air quick- disconnects - industrial and automotive. The one on the Palazzo is the industrial style. You can get a collection of the right type at Harbor Freight for less than $5.00

Norb

2005 Honda Pilot toad
Old 09-28-2013, 05:33 PM   #1881

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArnolds View Post
Tom, The compressor is on the engine and the air manifold where he would connect an air hose, is in the generator compartment. The air manifold gets its air from the storage tanks. Thanks! Jack
Thanks
Good to know.
Old 09-28-2013, 05:36 PM   #1882

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridinbear View Post
I picked up a standard air kit from Lowes. Hose and quick disconnect fitting. Hose is long enough to reach rear tires.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:49 PM   #1883

Thanks guys a bunch!
Old 09-29-2013, 05:52 AM   #1884

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batten54 View Post
All hail the mighty diesel! All hail Palazzo

We picked up our 36.1 June 28...and love it! Went from Tulsa to Joplin MO the following day for "first night" out. Running down I44 I had to look at the tach. to see if the engine was running. My wife and I actually had a conversation at a normal voice! There was a good side wind that would not have been fun in our old gasser (06 Georgetown 315DS) but the Palazzo just cruised along. We will NEVER go back to a gas rig!

About ten days later we went to Lawrence KS for a granddaughter's birthday and stayed a week. We have two daughters and their families in Lawrence and one daughter with family in KC so there were five grandkids and six adults in and out of it. We never thought we would use the drop down bed in the front...but three or four grandkids stayed several nights and it was great to have.

Two weeks after we got home we started on our trip out west to see close friends in Medford OR. He is a diabetic and has had a lot of health problems lately. Thought it would be a good test of the new Palazzo and see them before things got worse.

We covered a little over 4,400 miles and were out about a month. We enjoyed the ride a lot and also not trying to "make time" as we did not have a tight schedule. Other than the normal few odds and ends we had TWO MAJOR ITEMS.

The first being the dash...it went out! The first time was for a min. or two. And when it came back on the "average speed" showed 81mph.
The second time it was out most of the day. From about 30 miles north of Lodi CA to about 40 miles south of Redding CA. That time when it came back on the "average speed" showed 271mph!!! lol What a ride!

I have to stop here to tell you that we stayed an extra night in Las Vegas (the crap tables were good to me) to go to Vegas Freightliner first thing Monday morning...big mistake. When we told them about the short dash outage and that we were on vacation they were not only uncaring but one guy behind the desk was down right sarcastic. Spouting of that they MIGHT look at it in a couple of days. He also said we could not have a coach with that low mileage, and that the Freightliner chassis was made in Mexico and driven up. He also said it would cost over $5000 for our first service! BS! Being a "born and bread Okie" I "sometimes" get a little redneck. So I took the opportunity to leave while he was still in one piece and I was still not in handcuffs.
On the flipside my wife goggled Freightliner Service on her cell while going through Sacramento and called the Redding location. They were GREAT! told us how to get there and how long it should take. When we arrived they took excellent care of us by looking at it within 30 min. The manager wanted a tech on the morning crew to look at it (and they needed Freightliner to tell them why the VINs were different computer vs chassis) so they told us how to get to a very nice RV park about 2miles away and several good places to eat. They found a bad module of some kind in the dash and had one sent overnight. Next day they popped it in and we were on our way. Great service with nice people! Wish they were closer to Tulsa.

The second being the FULL WALL SLIDE.
We arrived in Medford OR late afternoon and there were not any 50amp spots open till the next day...so we got a 30amp for the night and headed off to see our friends. The next day they told us which 50amp spot we could have and we started to move. When we hit the switch for the full wall slide the bottom moved in and the top didn't. I tried to back it out and it never moved again...and with my luck it was Saturday. So Monday morning I was on the phone with Thor at 5 AM (OR time) and they told me how to disengage the slide motors and...push it in! With the help of a mobile RV service guy this monumental task was completed. A local Thor approved RV dealer was able to get us in a few days later. After a lot of looking and back and forth with Thor I was told the slide parts needed would take 3 weeks or more to get there as they had to come from slide mechanism manuf.
It was at this point we decided to cut off the second half of the trip and head for home. We stayed another week with our friends (half of our plans) then hit the road taking about a week on the road. We lived in the motorhome for 15 days with the full wall slide locked in the travel position! Not fun!!

We got home on a Saturday, got the food out and cleaned it up, and took it to the dealer Tuesday morning. The service manager said he had heard of two more like ours in the time we were headed home. He and Thor had a fix worked out and it is awaiting parts now.

Part of the problem (as I was told) is that the rod from the top gear by the slide motor to the bottom gear is aluminum and I guess they will put in a steel one. There are also a couple of small rollers that came apart.

We'll see how it all comes out, but so far everyone has been doing all they can to correct it. I may start a new thread about this slide problem as it may affect a lot of others...hope the moderators don't shut it down.
So this is a 2014 model that still has the same issues as the older models. I wrote an email to Thor asking them if they had in fact fixed the problems with the long slide and the warranty support told me the new fix had included a set of larger drive motors and tighter tolerances on the system and openings as well and tighter room assembly inspection procedures to insure a smooth running room at completion. Looks like they still don't have it right. Maybe I will consider another brand of coach. I am retiring in 3 years and my wife and I are looking for road worthy DP coach. Palazzo won't make the cut!
Old 09-29-2013, 06:04 AM   #1885

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcorbs View Post
So this is a 2014 model that still has the same issues as the older models. I wrote an email to Thor asking them if they had in fact fixed the problems with the long slide and the warranty support told me the new fix had included a set of larger drive motors and tighter tolerances on the system and openings as well and tighter room assembly inspection procedures to insure a smooth running room at completion. Looks like they still don't have it right. Maybe I will consider another brand of coach. I am retiring in 3 years and my wife and I are looking for road worthy DP coach. Palazzo won't make the cut!
I understand your concerns. If money is no object there are many other options. If budget is a significant consideration you will have to look for a used DP to get the same capability and features as the Palazzo.
Old 09-29-2013, 06:15 AM   #1886

Newmar Owners Club
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcorbs View Post

They did more than that, if you contacted a more knowledgeable rep they changed the rollers that it slides on motors and I think the shafts and a couple of other items.

Understand they built over a 1,000 on target for about 750 a year so to read here about problems on several is a small percentage.
The bottom line is they are fixing the older designs.

If you can find a manufacturer that has NOT had slide issues then report back or I can save you the time there aren't any at any price.
Old 09-29-2013, 06:21 AM   #1887

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArnolds View Post
Tom,

The compressor is on the engine and the air manifold where he would connect an air hose, is in the generator compartment.

I learned that it's up front for towing, the unit can't be towed with deflated airbags.
Old 09-29-2013, 07:10 AM   #1888

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2013 View Post

I learned that it's up front for towing, the unit can't be towed with deflated airbags.
The air quick-disconnect is there for towing and not to inflate the suspension - if you don't supply air pressure, the parking brake cannot be released.

2005 Honda Pilot toad
Old 09-29-2013, 10:48 AM   #1889

Newmar Owners Club
if you don't inflate the suspension how can you get ground clearance to tow?
Old 09-29-2013, 11:06 AM   #1890

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2013 View Post
if you don't inflate the suspension how can you get ground clearance to tow?
Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy1313 View Post
The air quick-disconnect is there for towing and not to inflate the suspension - if you don't supply air pressure, the parking brake cannot be released.
I think that both of you are correct. You need the air to both inflate the bags and release the parking brake.
Closed Thread