RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 08:01 AM   #2633

Thor Owners Club
Newbies unite

We are also new to the RV life. We got our first RV (Palazzo 33.2) in April 13. We love our unit and now have over 4k miles. We made the pilgrimage to Thor for our warranty repairs and everything went very well. They replaced slide mechanics as a preventive fix. The only problem, we came back with a rattle in the slide that we hadn't had before the fix. Working on pinpointing that problem.

We've found half the fun with owning the unit is learning how to best use it, fix it, what are it's quirks and blessings, and where can we go next. We have camped with just us two and with as many as six in the unit. Works well either way.

Must say the fridge lock is one of my nemesis. Lost a half gallon of milk going uphill. What fun chasing milk under the bed at 50 MPH. I think I would cry and then laugh over a fresh made chocolate pie.

Hope to see more of us Palazzos as we cross this great country in the coming years.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2014, 08:02 AM   #2634

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdelano View Post
First time member. We had problems with our wall slide at first but the dealer seems to have fixed the problem. It seems this is a common issue after purchase. Any ideas why and should I be concerned that the problem will return?

Welcome to the site. What kind of MH and model do you have?
Old 01-01-2014, 08:03 AM   #2635

Thor Owners Club
Be sure to wrap up microwave turntable before driving. No one told us and it broke in half on our last trip.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:59 AM   #2636

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdelano View Post
First time member. We had problems with our wall slide at first but the dealer seems to have fixed the problem. It seems this is a common issue after purchase. Any ideas why and should I be concerned that the problem will return?
We had what seems to be good advice from technician when we picked up our Palazzo.

1. Make absolutely sure you are level before you extend or retract the slide.
2. Hold the button down until slide is all the way out (or in). Do not release button momentarily and then restart it, or do a partial open (You'll be tempted to open it partially to get to bathroom, etc)
3. Make sure you have adequate DC voltage to power the slide in/out. (Good idea to either be plugged into shore power, or start generator)
4. You can use a silicone based spray to lubricate the rubber gaskets (they'll squeak), but do NOT get any of this on the track.

Thor modified the slide system sometime during the past year, and one dealer told us Thor sent factory technicians to help modify units made prior to that change. Reading the forums, it seems the complaints are from those who purchased units made prior to that change, and I've not seen complaints from recent purchasers. They have apparently solved the problem, but above advice is still good. We picked up our new Palazzo Christmas Eve, and have had the slide in and out numerous times, and have followed the above advice, and the slide has worked flawlessly (knock on wood).
Old 01-01-2014, 09:23 AM   #2637

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldAero View Post
We are also new to the RV life. We got our first RV (Palazzo 33.2) in April 13. We love our unit and now have over 4k miles. We made the pilgrimage to Thor for our warranty repairs and everything went very well. They replaced slide mechanics as a preventive fix. The only problem, we came back with a rattle in the slide that we hadn't had before the fix. Working on pinpointing that problem.

We've found half the fun with owning the unit is learning how to best use it, fix it, what are it's quirks and blessings, and where can we go next. We have camped with just us two and with as many as six in the unit. Works well either way.

Must say the fridge lock is one of my nemesis. Lost a half gallon of milk going uphill. What fun chasing milk under the bed at 50 MPH. I think I would cry and then laugh over a fresh made chocolate pie.

Hope to see more of us Palazzos as we cross this great country in the coming years.
How many owners have had to "take" their Palazzo's back to the factory to get the slide out issues fixed?
Old 01-01-2014, 10:40 AM   #2638

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palazzoblues View Post
How many owners have had to "take" their Palazzo's back to the factory to get the slide out issues fixed?
Did you ever get your coach back from the hospital ??

Russell
Old 01-01-2014, 01:12 PM   #2639

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldAero View Post
Be sure to wrap up microwave turntable before driving. No one told us and it broke in half on our last trip.
That is an interesting suggestion. Never thought about it and fortunately have not had a problem. Will add it to checklist.
Old 01-01-2014, 01:16 PM   #2640

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChallengerRN View Post

All the above being said I have 20,000 miles and almost zero issues with the drivetrain part. Handles perfect on the level road and the hills. Don't keep good fuel records but 10+ mpg my guess. Some other small issues on the coach part all corrected.

Russell
Russell,
Wow, I'm impressed with your miles! You have set the bar high and given us hope of achieving that milestone without major issues. Of course that is why we bought a DP!
Old 01-01-2014, 01:29 PM   #2641

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butte64 View Post
Russell, Wow, I'm impressed with your miles! You have set the bar high and given us hope of achieving that milestone without major issues. Of course that is why we bought a DP!
And I haven't had it out since September. Head out again soon. Finally got our work & repairs done.

Russell
Old 01-01-2014, 02:46 PM   #2642

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butte64 View Post
Russell, Wow, I'm impressed with your miles! You have set the bar high and given us hope of achieving that milestone without major issues. Of course that is why we bought a DP!
I for sure have no issues with the drive train part of the Palazzo. Any issues I have would be with the large slide & Thor's fit & finish. Different ones say that all RV are that way. Well my last one wasn't. I bought it new and had it 3.5 year. It was never back to dealer for anything other than regular service. I might say that I paid 1/2 for it as I paid for this Palazzo.

Back just 5 or 6 year ago car & trucks were the same way. They have learned that buyers are not going to put up with having to go back to dealers several times. I just picked up a new Ford F-350 Dec 23. 2013. I can find nothing wrong with it. That's the way it should be. The 2011 I traded in had 90,000 miles without being back to dealer for any repairs.

RV manufactured will have to do better ---people will force that. Just my two cents. Probably only worth a penny or less. Ha

Russell
Old 01-01-2014, 07:06 PM   #2643

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvrkds View Post
Hi Clara,
Really enjoyed meeting and speaking with you in the Target parking lot a short time ago. After reading your initial post (above), you sure have gained a lot of since then. Congrats !!!!!!! Continued having fun with your Palazzo.

Bill & Dot

2013, 33.2
Hi Bill! It was such a pleasure to meet you and your wife in such an unexpected way. So glad I was in my Palazzo in the right place at the right time. As you noticed, I am the RV fanatic, not my husband. I'm truly addicted and loving every minute of it. Ken and I are slowly but surely learning as we go along, one hiccup after another.

I hope we can see each other again soon. Please keep me posted as to your future trips. I'm hoping to attend the TDC rally but I don't know as of yet if I can pull that off. I'd have to travel alone and I'm not sure I can handle going that far by my lonesome. We'll see.

Best wishes to you and Dot
Old 01-01-2014, 07:47 PM   #2644

Thor Owners Club
Long time no visit here!

My family and I just returned from a two week vacation in our Palazzo. We just passed the 3000K mark. We learned a great deal this time as this is the longest we've ever spent in it at one time. We drove from Frederick, MD to Knoxville, then to Pigeon Forge, Myrtle Beach and then back to MD. I've listed the good, the bad and the ugly for those of you like us who are inexperienced and just starting out in a motorhome like we are. Most of these things were due to our inexperience and not necessarily the builder's fault. I'll post it in several sections so it's not too long of a post.

The bad and ugly first:

Just as we were ready to head out on our trip, we discovered that both inner duals had leaked down to 55 PSI. I suspect the tire extenders are bad. To make matters worse, our TST (Tire Pressure Monitoring System) stopped working several days into our trip. The manufacturer said it is likely defective and to send back. Drove home worried sick.

Had the second of two clamp fittings under the kitchen sink break, causing water leaks everywhere. Replaced it with a SeaTech fitting that I drove 30 miles to find. First time it broke was on Christmas Eve and everything was closed. We had to turn out water off until the next day when a guy an isle over gave me a part he had on his truck that did the trick, but only temporarily. The following morning, that part gave out, too, and water once again was free flowing everywhere. Six weeks ago, the other line had started leaking and that was the first one I had to repair.

As if the sink leaking wasn't enough, the washing machine (first time using it) leaked as well and wet the entire coach inside. I tightened some loose hose fittings behind the machine that I found behind a panel in the wardrobe. Even the walls in the unit were wet on the backside, and the moisture was seeping through them. I opened all the doors and kept them open round the clock. Ran heaters and the furnace, too, and got some Damp Rid.

When we arrived at Myrtle Beach after days of rain, we discovered that water had entered all of our compartments. All of my 8yo's Christmas presents were soaking wet. I was so upset! The water was pooled at the front by the doors. There was no water towards the back, just the front, from left to right.

Also, the double compartment doors under the full wall slide do not open fully when the slide is out. Only one side will open. Once the slide is in, both sides open. The double door compartment doors are also misaligned.

When we put it in storage today, we noticed that the windshield wiper arm on the driver side is hanging by a thread. The cap that snaps on to the bottom of the arm is missing and the entire wiper arm is just dangling where it should fit tightly. No idea how or when that happened, but I am thankful it hung in there during the five straight days of rain we encountered during our trip.

The refrigerator door keeps opening while the RV is in motion no matter how much we tighten the screw. It has a dent in it from where it has hit the edge of the dinette each time this happens. Haven't found anything anywhere to replace the screw. Hate seeing the dent in the refrigerator door that is there through no fault of my own.

While we were relatively well insulated, the bedroom slide is very drafty. There is a window on each side of the slide, but the air wasn't coming in from there. It was coming in from the side seals. We propped pillows up around us to block the airflow.

We are trying to figure out where to get some custom work done in the bedroom. Going from a king bed at home to a queen bed in the Palazzo is hard! I would like to remove those cubbies to the right and left of the bed so my arm doesn't keep hitting them during the night! If Thor had offered a bath and a half with a king bed, I would have paid $20K more for it!

More in another post...
Old 01-01-2014, 08:13 PM   #2645

Thor Owners Club
Now for the good...

After the first night on this trip, I told my husband I could no longer sleep on the mattress that came with our Palazzo. We stopped at a Camping World somewhere in NC and bought a Sleep Number Premiere bed. Haven't sleep that well in years. Don't get me wrong. This is a glorified air mattress with materials worth less than $50 and whoever designed it is laughing all the way to the bank each time a sucker like me plunks down $1400 for one. But it does what it advertises and sucker that I may be, I loved it! I plan on taking it out of my unit this weekend and bringing that baby home! Need to get my $$ worth.

The Palazzo was very comfortable during our two week vacation. It was as roomy as an RV can be, I suppose. While I wished I had a hair more counterspace in the kitchen, the space was practical and provided all the creature comforts I've never had in a hotel room.

The furnace worked well, as did the washer and dryer. My only concern with the washing machine was that it shook the entire unit to the point where I was worried it might be too much. I don't know that I'd use it at it's top spin speed. It's kind of scary, especially since it sits in the middle of that huge full wall slide. I'd never expected it to shake the coach as much as it did. I was sitting on the bed with the bedroom slide open and you could see the bedroom slide shaking across from the washing machine.

Having the extra half bath is truly the highlight of the coach for us. The full bath in the rear is very large and spacious. Even the half bath is spacious. The half bath is the size of the full bath in our Hurricane! The full bath has tons of storage. I was pleasantly surprised at just how much I could fit in the one linen closet alone. I love the pull out wardrobe that is hidden in the wall. There are so many drawers and other cabinets in that bathroom, too. It might have as much more storage space as the bedroom.

I love the full size refrigerator, too. So much better than the smaller one we had in our Hurricane. I love that the Palazzo has an inverter and that it keeps everything running, especially the refrigerator.

I was surprised at just how long our batteries can last when dry camping overnight on the road.

We stayed at several Walmarts during our trip, especially during the heavy rainstorms. Even with both slides in, we were comfortable and could move around easily.

While the light switches aren't always in the most practical of places, I find the lighting to be very pleasant. Now if only I could figure out how to eliminate the screeching sounds that can be heard when you first turn them on. Takes a few minutes for the sound to stop, but it's awful until then.

More in another post...
Old 01-01-2014, 08:25 PM   #2646

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingerela View Post
Also, the double compartment doors under the full wall slide do not open fully when the slide is out. Only one side will open. Once the slide is in, both sides open. The double door compartment doors are also misaligned. When we put it in storage today, we noticed that the windshield wiper arm on the driver side is hanging by a thread. The cap that snaps on to the bottom of the arm is missing and the entire wiper arm is just dangling where it should fit tightly. No idea how or when that happened, but I am thankful it hung in there during the five straight days of rain we encountered during our trip. The refrigerator door keeps opening while the RV is in motion no matter how much we tighten the screw. It has a dent in it from where it has hit the edge of the dinette each time this happens. Haven't found anything anywhere to replace the screw. Hate seeing the dent in the refrigerator door that is there through no fault of my own.
We have the same problem with the double compartment door, but plan to live with it until we get to a Elkhart. I can help you with the refrigerator though. We went to Wal-Mart to the hardware department. Find the section where they have felt pads to put under furniture legs. In that section they have large rectangular ones. Cut about a three or four inch strip off, poke a hole in it and push the door lock screw through it. We left the card board on and that is the side against the frig. Works great. Check out my previous post about the chocolate pie and there is a picture.
Closed Thread