Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 05:24 PM   #659

Thor Owners Club
Newbie Question

I have been lurking and reading as much as I can. Considering jumping in to a motor home, specifically a Palazzo 33.1. Just the two of us. I retired last August. We camped several years ago with a trailer. At our age (69), something with more creature comforts is desired. Trying to justify the cost.

What will I need to purchase that doesn't come with the motor home?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2013, 07:45 PM   #660

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berlin Kid View Post
I have been lurking and reading as much as I can. Considering jumping in to a motor home, specifically a Palazzo 33.1. Just the two of us. I retired last August. We camped several years ago with a trailer. At our age (69), something with more creature comforts is desired. Trying to justify the cost.

I am sure that others will recommend additional items therefore do not consider my recommendations all inclusive;

1. Water hose
2. Sewer hose
3. Strongly suggest some kind if surge protector, these can be expensive, $300-$400 for a good one but it will save your electronics if they campground has unstable power.
4. Chemicals to treat your "Black Water" tank and septic safe "T" paper

If you had these items you could be camping but if you are like the rest of us you will want Satillite TV so you would need a dish of some type, talk to your dealer and be prepared to spend some money depending on what you decide.

Others have done other modifications plus some add on items, air horns, steering stabilizers, tire pressure monitors, and the list goes on. Your limit is how deep are your pockets.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:54 PM   #661

Quote:

I would add a water regulator to your potable water hose to protect from high water pressure. 50 psi works fairly well.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:26 PM   #662

Quote:

patience , aspirin & alcohol
Old 06-27-2013, 12:46 AM   #663

then, there's the towing aspect... hitches, tow bar, supplimental braking, light cables, emergency cables. and of course the tow vehicle. Yes, deep pockets....
Old 06-27-2013, 04:18 AM   #664

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:

Good question with some good answers. Many of the items you'll need are "nickel and dime" items (i.e. hoses, t-paper, etc.) but they do add up. Many dealers will give you a "starter" kit that contains SOME of these items - other dealers may give you a dollar amount of credit to be applied to your purchase of the items.

I would recommend that you put together a list of some of the lesser expensive items and let the dealer know (after you've negotiated the price of the MH) that you want them "thrown in" with the deal.

I usually ask for (and usually receive) the following:
Four 25' hoses (two for input to the unit for your use, two for the black water flush;

A water pressure regulator with a built-in pressure gauge;

Two 15' or 20' high quality sewer hose kits that come with the attachment that connects to the sewer;

A couple 4- or 6-packs of RV TP;

A replacement water filter cartridge;

Chemicals for the toilet;

A 50amp to 30amp pigtail and a 30amp to 15amp adapter;

The above items can add up to $300 or $400 if you were to purchase them but the dealer gets them much cheaper so your request should not be a deal breaker.

Very important: Insist that the deal includes a FULL tank of fuel and a FULL tank of DEF. Some dealers may do this automatically - some not.
With current fuel prices, this could save you hundreds of $$$.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:30 PM   #665

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
There is an extensive thread on this subject in the motorhome forum.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:11 PM   #666

Post More repairs

Just got back from the dealership after several repairs. I was wondering if anybody else has had these things repaired?

1) Frozen steps. Even though I lub the steps regularly they will rust in place if I store the Palazzo for any length of time. 2 weeks is all it takes.

2) Recirculating fan in the refrigerator for the second time. Freezer works fine but the refrigerator never cools. We're hoping this problem does not reoccur for the third time. It's no fun to get to a camp ground and find we have to use ice to keep things cool in the refrigerator. Kind of limits what we can keep so we eat out more which is not what we planned on doing.

3) Isolater relay control box. This caused the solenoid connected to the inverter to trip over and over when ever I was connected to shore power and a few time on battery power only. I was concerned about possible fire danger.

4) TV sound bar buzzed when on. Sometimes the buzzing was so loud it had to be turned off to hear the TV. A ground loop isolater was installed to prevent feedback from the TV. Dealership says they see this problem a lot.

5) Fan in inverter compartment. Thor did not install them until the 2014 models. So they covered the holes with screening.

6) Jack noise. We have very loud jacks and get comments from other motor home owners that their jacks don't make much noise at all when going up and down. Ours pop and crackle rather loudly. The dealership says that is common for that make of jack. They cleaned and lubed them which reduced the noise some what. The jacks work fine they just were loud and made us wonder if they will go up or down.

I had more things done but this is enough for now. I'm interested in hearing about other Palazzo owners issues, if any, so I might know what to plan for. ????
Old 06-28-2013, 12:30 PM   #667

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver-Max View Post
Just got back from the dealership after several repairs. I was wondering if anybody else has had these things repaired?

1) Frozen steps. Even though I lub the steps regularly they will rust in place if I store the Palazzo for any length of time. 2 weeks is all it takes.

2) Recirculating fan in the refrigerator for the second time. Freezer works fine but the refrigerator never cools. We're hoping this problem does not reoccur for the third time. It's no fun to get to a camp ground and find we have to use ice to keep things cool in the refrigerator. Kind of limits what we can keep so we eat out more which is not what we planned on doing.

3) Isolater relay control box. This caused the solenoid connected to the inverter to trip over and over when ever I was connected to shore power and a few time on battery power only. I was concerned about possible fire danger.

4) TV sound bar buzzed when on. Sometimes the buzzing was so loud it had to be turned off to hear the TV. A ground loop isolater was installed to prevent feedback from the TV. Dealership says they see this problem a lot.

5) Fan in inverter compartment. Thor did not install them until the 2014 models. So they covered the holes with screening.

6) Jack noise. We have very loud jacks and get comments from other motor home owners that their jacks don't make much noise at all when going up and down. Ours pop and crackle rather loudly. The dealership says that is common for that make of jack. They cleaned and lubed them which reduced the noise some what. The jacks work fine they just were loud and made us wonder if they will go up or down.

I had more things done but this is enough for now. I'm interested in hearing about other Palazzo owners issues, if any, so I might know what to plan for. ????
Did they do the fan for inverter compartment at no cost? I was told Thor would not cover it under warranty and there is a fan internal to the inverter.

Sorry to hear of your problems. Maybe we just have not used ours enough to find all the problems and have been doing ok.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:31 PM   #668

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver-Max View Post

I have had a broken ladder on rear (which I am still waiting to come in) with the screw heads all broken off.
Some minor paint peeling up on radius to roof. Thor will get dealer to repaint.
My onan gen would not start, it was a bad fuel pump with recall, replaced and fine now.
My jacks jerk around but slight hydraulic whine is all I hear.

My sound bar is horrendous and was interested in that fix. (Ground loop isolater, was that warranty?)
I got my Palazzo 33.3 May 28, 2013. Used on one 3 night shakedown run. I am very satisfied with the coach on my first use and understand some things break. So far dealer and Thor have been cooperative.
Old 06-28-2013, 01:44 PM   #669

My suggestion is make the trip to Elkhart and have thor go through your coach with you. We have had two new THOR coaches and we found it to be well worth the trip from Texas.

We love our coach!!!
Old 06-29-2013, 10:10 AM   #670

The fan was not installed. My dealer covered the vent hole with screening to keep out things (bugs and/or animals) that might want to get into the compartment and cause trouble. Thor only began adding fans on the 2014 models not mine which is a 2013 model. The coach has had several problems but we still really enjoy using it. We just wonder what next.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:16 AM   #671

Our sound bar was fixed by my dealer without charge even though we were technically out of warranty by one month. Our dealer, Midway RV Center in Grand Rapids, MI has been very helpful in solving issues that come up .
Old 06-29-2013, 10:45 AM   #672

Smile MINI on the Mack

This is a bit off the subject but MINI of Grand Rapids is trying to set a new worlds record of more then 1450 MINI's in a group. The plan is to meet in Mackinaw City, MI on August 3rd and cross the Mackinac Bridge as a group starting at 10:30 am and partying in St. Ignace afterwards. The Mackinac Bridge is 5 miles long and the hope is to cover the entire bridge with MINI's.

Are there any Palazzo owners who might be going to the Rally? We'll be staying at Hearthside Grove Motorcoach Resort in Petoskey, MI beginning on July 30th. If your going to be in the area we'd love to get together and share war stories either about Palazzo's or MINI Cooper's or both.

On a personal note, the Petoskey area and Hearthside Grove are about as good as you'll find anywhere in the country. Petoskey is about 30 miles southwest of the Mackinac Bridge.

Hearthside Grove : Luxury Motorcoach Resort in Petoskey, Michigan

Info about MINI on the Mack: Special Events and News in Grand Rapids - sponsored or run by MINI of Grand Rapids

Hope to see a Palazzo owner or two even your just in the area and don't own a MINI.
Closed Thread