Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 05:54 AM   #687

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berlin Kid View Post

I have searched to no avail. It's a matter of asking the right question. Do you know the thread that you are referring to?
Do a search on "must haves" and it will show the thread in the Motorhomes Class A thread. Many messages with a lot of useful information as well some attempts at humor.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2013, 06:55 AM   #688

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArnolds View Post

A point of clarification...I am sharing this data because that is what we do on this forum and I do not expect anyone to follow what I did so please operate your Palazzo however you like, drive it fast or slow, economy mode or not, just have fun!
I have not used my coach much, but was wanting to know more about the mode button. Dealer never gave me a clear answer and Allison manual can be vague when discussing all of its models. Do you just toggle through modes? Thirsting for information. 33.3
Old 07-01-2013, 07:16 AM   #689

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridinbear View Post

I have not used my coach much, but was wanting to know more about the mode button. Dealer never gave me a clear answer and Allison manual can be vague when discussing all of its models. Do you just toggle through modes? Thirsting for information. 33.3
The way I understood the Mode button was that
in some way it will change the shift pattern some. To help with fuel efficiency. Now they told me that once you are in (66) everything is the same. So my thought is to save (? ) I just don't worry about rather it in Mode form or not. The bulk of the time we will be in (66)) anyway. Now all this being said--I have never used the Mode button. Lol. I probably learn that it will get me 2 more mpg and maybe I should use it. ??
Old 07-01-2013, 07:19 AM   #690

I understand and would really like to know the shift programming that could be achieved.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:34 AM   #691

Quote:
I understand and would really like to know the shift programming that could be achieved.
Hang in there. I'm sure someone has an answer. I for sure have never researched it much less use it. I'm sure fuel economy should be a top priority. I personally just don't check it. I just fill up whenever & wherever I need fuel.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:45 AM   #692

Quote:
What I am about to say is passing on information I received from Camp Freightliner and two different "Fireside Chats" with Freightliner representatives at the Thor Diesel Club (Eureka Springs, AR) rally and Freightliner Chassis Owners Club rally (Sturgis, SD).

At these rallies there were a lot of people that felt like some on this forum that the mode button was worthless, it did noting, why have it, etc. To that the Freightliner folks said you do not have to use it. Go ahead and drive as fast as you want and down shift manually to give you more RPM, and let your engine idle for too long after starting, or when you stop at rest or fueling stops because you see those truckers do it. BTW, excessive idling is a big waste of fuel but you see there are people that have tons of money to waste on fuel so they idle, will not consider the economy mode button, drive 70-80 MPH because they can.

Now to the subject of the mode button. The mode button changes the transmission from performance (default mode button off) to an economy (mode button selected and small red light appears in upper R/H corner of button). This change has to do with the shift points both when shifting up and down (shifts to the higher gear at a lower RPM). Once you are in 6th gear (66 on the selector) there is no impact on the drive gear ratio. The point of the switch is to get you to 6th gear sooner and govern when you shift out of 6th gear. Bottom line, you will burn more fuel at 2000+ RPM then at 1500 RPM. More time at 2000+ RPM = more fuel burnt.

When I posted my results of using the mode button, using cruise control as much as possible, and trying to maintain my speed at 60 MPH (1500 RPM) was to report the results. There were times when I turned off the mode button to get better performance entering the interstate or had to manually downshift to maintain RPM climbing a steep hill but for the majority of the 2700 mile trip I used the mode button and on average I got 1.5 MPG better then not taking these economy measures...I was not in a hurry and drove 400-500 miles per day when we were moving from place to place.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:06 AM   #693

Ok, Thanks great data, so button on goes to economy mode then off goes to performance. No other secondary mode just the 2 mentioned.

Arnold's, keep doing what you do, it helps us all. Sometimes the greatest book is the list of What Not To Do.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:10 AM   #694

Quote:

What I am about to say is passing on information I received from Camp Freightliner and two different "Fireside Chats" with Freightliner representatives at the Thor Diesel Club (Eureka Springs, AR) rally and Freightliner Chassis Owners Club rally (Sturgis, SD).

At these rallies there were a lot of people that felt like some on this forum that the mode button was worthless, it did noting, why have it, etc. To that the Freightliner folks said you do not have to use it. Go ahead and drive as fast as you want and down shift manually to give you more RPM, and let your engine idle for too long after starting, or when you stop at rest or fueling stops because you see those truckers do it. BTW, excessive idling is a big waste of fuel but you see there are people that have tons of money to waste on fuel so they idle, will not consider the economy mode button, drive 70-80 MPH because they can.

Now to the subject of the mode button. The mode button changes the transmission from performance (default mode button off) to an economy (mode button selected and small red light appears in upper R/H corner of button). This change has to do with the shift points both when shifting up and down (shifts to the higher gear at a lower RPM). Once you are in 6th gear (66 on the selector) there is no impact on the drive gear ratio. The point of the switch is to get you to 6th gear sooner and govern when you shift out of 6th gear. Bottom line, you will burn more fuel at 2000+ RPM then at 1500 RPM. More time at 2000+ RPM = more fuel burnt.

When I posted my results of using the mode button, using cruise control as much as possible, and trying to maintain my speed at 60 MPH (1500 RPM) was to report the results. There were times when I turned off the mode button to get better performance entering the interstate or had to manually downshift to maintain RPM climbing a steep hill but for the majority of the 2700 mile trip I used the mode button and on average I got 1.5 MPG better then not taking these economy measures...I was not in a hurry and drove 400-500 miles per day when we were moving from place to place.
My thought: 60 mph will for sure save fuel..when probably 90% of our driving is in 6th (66). And at that point the Mode is same on or off I can't see where it would have any big time effect.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:29 AM   #695

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChallengerRN View Post
My thought: 60 mph will for sure save fuel..when probably 90% of our driving is in 6th (66). And at that point the Mode is same on or off I can't see where it would have any big time effect.
It is the getting to and from 6th gear that saves fuel when using the mode switch so if you feel that you spend 90% of your time in 6th and you feel there is no valve to you then leave the mode button off. As I said, all I was doing was reporting my findings and for now I will use the mode button...to each his own.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:34 AM   #696

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you have the mode button on and start going up a grade the transmission will stay in 6th gear longer than if you had the mode button turned off. With the mode button off the transmission will downshift sooner and give you higher rpms which in turn will burn more fuel.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:18 AM   #697

Quote:
In past posts I reported 10 plus MPG with dolly and toad. We just completed a 2700 mile trip out west to Gillette, WY and Sturgis, SD attending FMCA and FCOC Rallies. Each driving day I zeroed the fuel economy counter on the dash display and I am happy to report that I was getting between 11.2 and 11.7 MPG. I will say I did use the “MODE” switch almost all the time and I set cruise control at 60 MPH (1500 RPM) and attempted to maintain this speed as much as possible.
What is the fuel economy counter ? I have a 2013 33.2. I'm not sure I have that or don't know how to find it?
Old 07-01-2013, 12:55 PM   #698

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Jack,

Great explanation, thanks.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:02 PM   #699

You can add us to your list! We pick up our 2013 Palazzo 33.2 this Friday! We are so excited!!
Old 07-01-2013, 02:14 PM   #700

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKNOLA View Post
You can add us to your list! We pick up our 2013 Palazzo 33.2 this Friday! We are so excited!!
Congrats on the purchase and welcome tothis site. Lots of good info found here. If you don't see just ask.

Closed Thread