Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 06:10 PM   #841

Thor Owners Club
My husband and I are as new to RVing as I am to this forum. Six weeks ago we purchased a 2014 Hurricane 34J. Neither of us have any RVing experience and thought we'd start out with something comfortable for our family. With enough room to sleep 8-10, we were excited and very happy with our purchase. A friend of ours has talked a great deal about the Palazzo and now that we have a unit of our own, I have a better understanding of why he likes it so much. Well, my husband and I decided to take one for a test drive this past weekend. Wow! What a difference! No windows rattling, no barbequeing our legs above the transmission while driving, smooth and quiet ride, nicer finishes, bath and a half...what's not to love?

So, here we are, six weeks into our Hurricane purchase and we want to trade it in for a Palazzo 36.1. I know it's a terrible thing to be upside down, but we think it's worth the hit. After driving the Palazzo, the only thing we'll miss about our Hurricane 34J is the king size bed and the outside kitchen. I am pretty sure I can do without them if I had a Palazzo, LOL.

This forum has kept me awake for the past three nights as I have read each and every post on these 60 pages. Thank you for all the great information and warm reception you give to newbies like me. I've noticed that most of you have previously owned a motorhome or some form of recreational vehicle. We are as green as it gets!

So, now to ask about the Palazzo. I'm worried about the slide problems in addition to other issues that we would most certainly be ABSOLUTELY CLUELESS about otherwise. I can barely understand the lingo, much less know what everything does or even where to find it on the coach.

Making the decision to trade up to the Palazzo was easy, that's for sure. I had chosen my color, but I just received an email from the dealer with the new 2014 colors. Not sure I'm crazy about any of them in particular. I was rather fond of the Galleria exterior.

Anyhow, many thanks to all of you for such great and most valuable information. I hope our transaction is finalized soon and we can hopefully cross paths in the future.

Oh, and is the Thor tour worth it prior to buying? I'm tempted. I'm sure I'll have a million questions from here on in, so I thank you in advance for your patience
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2013, 06:30 PM   #842

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Gingerela -

I love my 33.1 and if you get your 36.1 you won't regret it. You may have some warranty items but they all do. I have had mine for over a year now and do not wish that I didn't make the switch.

Gary
Old 07-23-2013, 06:31 PM   #843

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingerela View Post
My husband and I are as new to RVing as I am to this forum. Six weeks ago we purchased a 2014 Hurricane 34J. Neither of us have any RVing experience and thought we'd start out with something comfortable for our family. With enough room to sleep 8-10, we were excited and very happy with our purchase. A friend of ours has talked a great deal about the Palazzo and now that we have a unit of our own, I have a better understanding of why he likes it so much. Well, my husband and I decided to take one for a test drive this past weekend. Wow! What a difference! No windows rattling, no barbequeing our legs above the transmission while driving, smooth and quiet ride, nicer finishes, bath and a half...what's not to love?

So, here we are, six weeks into our Hurricane purchase and we want to trade it in for a Palazzo 36.1. I know it's a terrible thing to be upside down, but we think it's worth the hit. After driving the Palazzo, the only thing we'll miss about our Hurricane 34J is the king size bed and the outside kitchen. I am pretty sure I can do without them if I had a Palazzo, LOL.

This forum has kept me awake for the past three nights as I have read each and every post on these 60 pages. Thank you for all the great information and warm reception you give to newbies like me. I've noticed that most of you have previously owned a motorhome or some form of recreational vehicle. We are as green as it gets!

So, now to ask about the Palazzo. I'm worried about the slide problems in addition to other issues that we would most certainly be ABSOLUTELY CLUELESS about otherwise. I can barely understand the lingo, much less know what everything does or even where to find it on the coach.

Making the decision to trade up to the Palazzo was easy, that's for sure. I had chosen my color, but I just received an email from the dealer with the new 2014 colors. Not sure I'm crazy about any of them in particular. I was rather fond of the Galleria exterior.

Anyhow, many thanks to all of you for such great and most valuable information. I hope our transaction is finalized soon and we can hopefully cross paths in the future.

Oh, and is the Thor tour worth it prior to buying? I'm tempted. I'm sure I'll have a million questions from here on in, so I thank you in advance for your patience
If getting the 36.1 I'd ask it hs the upgraded slide motors.
I did the tour a few weeks ago. Good information.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:49 PM   #844

Evergreen Owners Club
I have been in the same boat sort of , I originally wanted the palazzo 33.3 " bunks" but didn't want to spend that much money on my first Rv , so I have been looking at gas coach's and signed paper work on a thor class A gas ,lucky for me the coach wont be at dealer for 3 month's when they told me 3 week's ,
So wife and I where lucky enough to go for a test ride in both gas and diesel unit's and after 20 mile's on the highway in both my wife and I where sold on the dP.
I new that I really wanted it to start and would trade it in within a year so instead of loosing big on the gas we decided to go with the palazzo . now Im just waiting for one to be ready for deliverie
So soon enough I will be added to the Palzzo list :
I was also told by Thor that the 2014's have the upgrade motor and I have spoke with a few 2014 owner's that have not had the problem with the slide like in the 2013 models

mike
Old 07-23-2013, 09:21 PM   #845

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebrls View Post
I have been in the same boat sort of , I originally wanted the palazzo 33.3 " bunks" but didn't want to spend that much money on my first Rv , so I have been looking at gas coach's and signed paper work on a thor class A gas ,lucky for me the coach wont be at dealer for 3 month's when they told me 3 week's ,
So wife and I where lucky enough to go for a test ride in both gas and diesel unit's and after 20 mile's on the highway in both my wife and I where sold on the dP.
I new that I really wanted it to start and would trade it in within a year so instead of loosing big on the gas we decided to go with the palazzo . now Im just waiting for one to be ready for deliverie
So soon enough I will be added to the Palzzo list :
I was also told by Thor that the 2014's have the upgrade motor and I have spoke with a few 2014 owner's that have not had the problem with the slide like in the 2013 models

mike

I am looking at a 2013 36.1. The floor plan and size are ideal for our needs and -- other than the slide issues -- people seem happy with it.

I have been reading a lot about the slide issues. During our demo, the large slide stopped working (with a very loud bang). The dealership tells me that the Thor service people are coming up to repair it and that it will have "all the new parts" installed within a day or two. (The demo was more than a week ago.) Interesting that the 2014 will apparently have upgraded motors. I am wondering if it will be just as good to have the new motors (and steel connecting rods?) retrofitted into a 2013, or would I be better off waiting for a 2014. Otherwise, I don't see any meaningful difference between the two models, and the dealership is offering a good discount on the 2013. If the repairs really get done soon, we may be able to drive it off the lot in the next few days, which would be nice since we have a trip planned and would like to avoid another rental charge if possible. Any help in thinking this through would be appreciated.

Mike Bakunin
Serial Renter
Old 07-23-2013, 09:26 PM   #846

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Bakunin View Post
I am looking at a 2013 36.1. The floor plan and size are ideal for our needs and -- other than the slide issues -- people seem happy with it.

I have been reading a lot about the slide issues. During our demo, the large slide stopped working (with a very loud bang). The dealership tells me that the Thor service people are coming up to repair it and that it will have "all the new parts" installed within a day or two. (The demo was more than a week ago.) Interesting that the 2014 will apparently have upgraded motors. I am wondering if it will be just as good to have the new motors (and steel connecting rods?) retrofitted into a 2013, or would I be better off waiting for a 2014. Otherwise, I don't see any meaningful difference between the two models, and the dealership is offering a good discount on the 2013. If the repairs really get done soon, we may be able to drive it off the lot in the next few days, which would be nice since we have a trip planned and would like to avoid another rental charge if possible. Any help in thinking this through would be appreciated.

Mike Bakunin
Serial Renter
Rumor has it that THOR will no longer produce the 33.1. If you've found one out there, jump on it.
We love ours !!!!
Old 07-23-2013, 09:27 PM   #847

Evergreen Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Bakunin View Post

Mike Bakunin
Serial Renter
well it seem's like everyone that has had there slide fixed seem to be happy and no more problem's with them " from what I have been reading "
Old 07-24-2013, 06:41 AM   #848

Thor Owners Club
Palazzo Exterior Paint Colors

These are the new 2014 Palazzo Paint Colors...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	palazzo 2014 colors.jpg
Views:	523
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	42898  
Old 07-24-2013, 08:13 AM   #849

Our Palazzo group are a friendly bunch as well as helpful. Looking forward to hearing about your experiences!
Old 07-24-2013, 09:46 AM   #850

Quote:
These are the new 2014 Palazzo Paint Colors...
Welcome from also new forum member. I have a 33.3 with the darker Galleria paint scheme 2013 and love it. The value is great and I have learned much from this forum.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:58 AM   #851

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:

So, here we are, six weeks into our Hurricane purchase and we want to trade it in for a Palazzo 36.1. I know it's a terrible thing to be upside down, but we think it's worth the hit. After driving the Palazzo, the only thing we'll miss about our Hurricane 34J is the king size bed and the outside kitchen.

Ginger,
I feel I am still new to RVing and understand totally.
Fortunately when we decided to look for a MH I had three things uppermost in my mind besides budget. Wife insisted on new, neighbors with RVs insisted I would not be happy with anything but a DP because of ride quality, and I heard the saying "buy your third RV FIRST." After quickly discarding the thought of a trailer of any kind or a Class C, we did a test drive in a very nice Fleetwood gasser. No joy there. Then drove anoter DP and Palazzo. While there are others bigger and nicer the Palazzo has many nice features and within the budget cap. In addition to the air ride, air brakes, etc. the residential refrigerator and big shower were big selling points for us.

As for the colors, well the Galleria looks beautiful. But on a sunny day put your hand on a black surface then on a light color and you will see a major reason we chose the color we have.

You have a lot to learn, this forum is fantastic support, enjoy the adventure.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:08 AM   #852

2013 models have sliding windows, the 2014 models have flushed windows... Dealers will often NOT level the coach and use the slides (that is one of the reason they bind). Thor should interlock the slide and the level (with an overide of course) to prevent damage to the slide... of course, those loose screws dont help.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:21 AM   #853

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redridge View Post
2013 models have sliding windows, the 2014 models have flushed windows... Dealers will often NOT level the coach and use the slides (that is one of the reason they bind). Thor should interlock the slide and the level (with an overide of course) to prevent damage to the slide... of course, those loose screws dont help.
How do those flush windows work for the driver at a toll booth ?
Especially when a GPS is attached to the window?
Old 07-24-2013, 11:28 AM   #854

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butte64 View Post
How do those flush windows work for the driver at a toll booth ?
Especially when a GPS is attached to the window?
The driver and passenger front windows are sliders... the driver window has a crazy glare when looking at the side mirror... need to really focus on what image your looking at.
Closed Thread