Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 09:37 PM   #491

Thanks Jack & Karen for your response. Definitely intend to try to get to the. Freightliner course ASAP

Yes -aware of the fuel restrictions on the generator. It won't start with a full tank. You're right - fault code 17 isn't in the generator documentation but from talking with Cummins, reading the other threads on the Palazzo, and googling the fault code - it traces to a fuel supply problem - either the fuel pump or the electronics controlling it. Just concerned that we get the cause pinpointed as trips to the. Service centers are inconvenient

Thanks for the info on the brake air system. That had me concerned. And also for the engine block heater. I'm really excited about the capability of on board air for the tires

Safe Travels
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2013, 10:38 PM   #492

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by joecathysw View Post
Good evening -
My wife and I purchased a Palazzo 36.1 on March 31st and recently completed a two week "shakedown" and familiarization trip from Texas to Florida and back. We owned a Class C over 10 years ago for about 3 years but our retirement goal was a Class A DP that was reasonably sized for both longer term trips and getting into national and state parks when we want to stay there. We think we found that balance with the bigger Palazzo and so far have been very pleased. Wanted to share a couple observations and ask a few questions - several related to a number of posts in this thread and the Palazzo Q&A thread. I have found the contributions in these threads very helpful and illuminating.

First - no big slide issues (fingers crossed) although we will get an occasional pop or crack as the big slide finishes its retraction. Did notice a very aggravating and constant rattle and sometimes banging when driving that appears to come from above and behind the driver's head somewhere in the slide. Could not tell anything from inspecting. Going to try to talk with Thor about it.

The generator refused to start after 2.5 hours. It is giving the same 17 fault code that some of you have referenced. Talking with the Cummins rep in this area did not yield anything certain other than bring it in - which we are doing later this week. My only concern is a repeat pattern of "remove and replace" that could develop until Onan identifies what the systemic problem is. Will try to get as much info as I can out of this service center to share as I'm guessing we will see this issue more in the future.

Had a couple of questions that I could use help with.
1) I think I read that the brake air system and the suspension air system are separate and independent systems. I'm not clear on what the two dashboard air system pressure indicators (graduated from 0 to 150) are telling me. One always stays at the same reading - about 95-105 psi. The other moves when I initially "air up" the suspension - going down to about 75 and then gradually increasing to the operating level as the suspension comes up. Is one indicator the brake system and the other the suspension? Or are they front and rear suspension?
2) Related to that - today I went out to reposition the coach. It's been sitting 6 days since we returned from our trip. When I turned the ignition on I got a Brake Air light and the buzzer/tone that comes with it. After starting the engine the light and tone stayed on until the air recharged. I did not see this on the trip but the longest we were shut down was five days. Was this a normal bleeding of the brake air system from sitting or something I should be concerned about? It charged right up and I've looked at it over the past three hours and no light or tone since. On a related note - I did have the SMI Air Force One brake system installed. Worked great on the trip and easy to hook up or disengage.
3) Has anyone used the onboard air system for airing tires? I didn't try it on the trip but am going to experiment here at home. The onboard placard says 120 psi for both front and rear tires at the GAWR. Wondering if the onboard system gives a consistent 120 psi output to enable self airing of the tires?
4) There is an on/off switch in the rear bathroom down near the floor near the toilet. I was told what this was at PDI but didn't note it. Wondering if anyone can clue me in to what it is? It is not labeled.

I know I have more questions but this is a long enough post already. So far my wife and I are very happy with our new Palazzo. The handling was good, even in some brisk winds, and the performance towing a Honda CRV was certainly acceptable. Looking forward to some more ambitious trips soon.
Agree with Camp Freightliner. Very informative for first time DP users.
As a reference, we had our 33.1 weighted at Graffney. Recommended tire pressure was 90 psi in front, 95 psi in rear. Sure rode a lot better.
Old 05-19-2013, 05:15 AM   #493

Warranty Appointment Tomorrow

Heading for Thor this afternoon to get a few things looked after and get a good once over before my warranty expires the end of June. I will report about my visit once I return home.
Old 05-19-2013, 05:38 AM   #494

Jack,

On our trip to Iowa to get our body block put on at Summit we had diesel fumes coming into the bedroom area of the coach. I called Thor and they said we could stop in on our way back to PA to let them have a look at it.

We arrived on Wednesday afternoon, Laura at customer service was very accommodating and showed us where to hook up. Thursday we met with Greg and he took our concerns and said we would have to wait as we didn't have an appointment. About 12:30 a technician, Ed came over said they would take it to look at as they felt it was a safety concern with the fumes and soot permeating into the coach.

We were given the option to wait in the customer waiting area or across the street at the modular home set up for customers to wait, as we had our lab we chose to wait at the customer service center.

Ed brought the coach back at 5:00 pm and said that they chalked and sprayed foam into gaps underneath the coach. He said they needed it another day to go over and do a PDI.

On Friday they finished at around 1:00 pm and he went with us for a test drive. Besides the diesel fume issue I asked if they could do something about the slide making noise while traveling and a couple drawers that slide out. They fixed everything and really made the coach better than it was when we purchased it. They also replaced a clearance light that had burned out.

All the Thor folks we met with were very professional and friendly.

There were about 8 hook ups and water and sewage was available at a separate area if you needed it.

We are very pleased with our Palazzo now and the way Thor took care of us.

Hope you have a positive experience too.

Bill
Old 05-19-2013, 08:37 AM   #495

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerFan22 View Post
Jack,

We were given the option to wait in the customer waiting area or across the street at the modular home set up for customers to wait, as we had our lab we chose to wait at the customer service center.

Bill

Bill,

We. Travel with our dogs. Are pets allowed in the customer service center?

Thanks,
Gary
Old 05-19-2013, 03:59 PM   #496

Bill,

We just pulled in and hooked up to electric and settled for the evening. I will go into customer service in the morning to get things started. I will report at the conclusion of my visit. FYI, we have a toad so we may do some sightseeing while they work on my coach.

Thanks!
Jack
Old 05-19-2013, 04:32 PM   #497

THOR CUSTOMER SERVICE - dogs

I do not know about the new modular unit. They did not have it there in August 2012 when we were there, however the regular customer service allows dogs. Our Greyhound, Sophie and our Borzoi (Russian Wold Hound) Pinot were very comfortable there. Of course they are more like 45 mile an hour couch potatoes.

We love our coach!!!
Old 05-20-2013, 05:04 AM   #498

Gary,

Yes.
Old 05-20-2013, 02:05 PM   #499

Just finished day 1 of our warranty service visit and will continue tomorrow. Very pleased with Thor's service team (Tim) attention to detail!

Others have mentioned a cooling fan in the inverter bay, mine was missing, I had a hole but no fan. Tim installed a thermostatically controlled fan so now I do not need to worry about a heat issue in that compartment.

More to follow
Old 05-20-2013, 03:37 PM   #500

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArnolds View Post
Just finished day 1 of our warranty service visit and will continue tomorrow. Very pleased with Thor's service team (Tim) attention to detail!

Others have mentioned a cooling fan in the inverter bay, mine was missing, I had a hole but no fan. Tim installed a thermostatically controlled fan so now I do not need to worry about a heat issue in that compartment.

More to follow
Have the same issue. Was there a reason for the missing fan (or blank hole)?
Old 05-20-2013, 04:17 PM   #501

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcopeland View Post
Have the same issue. Was there a reason for the missing fan (or blank hole)?
Tom,

No explanation as to why Thor manufacturing missed installing the cooling fan. Tim just scrugged his shoulders and offered his apologies.

Thanks to this Palazzo thread I knew to look for a fan or a hole. I gave Thor the option to place a screen over the hole to keep mice, etc. out or install a fan like some other Palazzos, Tim installed the fan.

I have noticed that things are not placed in the same location on the same model Palazzos. During the Thor Diesel Club rally I had the same model coach next to me and I notices several items to be different such as the wet bay valves and hook ups, placement of the turn signal cameras, and engine block heater switch. If the build standard is not clearly defined then things like a cooling fan can be missed during assembly...just my opinion.

Thanks!
Jack
Old 05-20-2013, 06:57 PM   #502

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArnolds View Post
Tom,

No explanation as to why Thor manufacturing missed installing the cooling fan. Tim just scrugged his shoulders and offered his apologies.

Thanks to this Palazzo thread I knew to look for a fan or a hole. I gave Thor the option to place a screen over the hole to keep mice, etc. out or install a fan like some other Palazzos, Tim installed the fan.

I have noticed that things are not placed in the same location on the same model Palazzos. During the Thor Diesel Club rally I had the same model coach next to me and I notices several items to be different such as the wet bay valves and hook ups, placement of the turn signal cameras, and engine block heater switch. If the build standard is not clearly defined then things like a cooling fan can be missed during assembly...just my opinion.

Thanks!
Jack
Good point about all the differences. I understand that some people have towel bars on the their bathroom doors and the newer models have that nice extension on hitch electrical connector.

I have two holes in the inverter bay and both have screens. I wonder if Thor would replace one of my screens with said fan.

I am unable to take my coach to Thor in the near future. How long do we have for when Thor will still take care of problems like this under warranty?
Old 05-21-2013, 04:22 AM   #503

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butte64 View Post
Good point about all the differences. I understand that some people have towel bars on the their bathroom doors and the newer models have that nice extension on hitch electrical connector.

I have two holes in the inverter bay and both have screens. I wonder if Thor would replace one of my screens with said fan.

I am unable to take my coach to Thor in the near future. How long do we have for when Thor will still take care of problems like this under warranty?
Jerry,

The Thor (coach) warranty is 1 year from purchase date and I purchased my coach on 30 June 2012 that is why I am doing my warranty visit now. I could of had some of these items fixed at my dealer (authorized warranty dealer) but Thor is only 5 1/2 hours from my home and I prefer to have Thor do the work.

Maybe you could talk to Thor about the fan and if they agree it was missed they could send it to an authorized dealer near your home for installation?

Take care my friend!
Jack
Old 05-21-2013, 09:37 AM   #504

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I will be making a special trip to Thor just so they can look at my palazzo, I haven't had any issues with mine but still want them to go over it just so I know it has been looked at properly.
Closed Thread