Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 05:59 AM   #1051

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebrls View Post
sale's guy told me to run with exhaust brake on all the time is this good or bad ?

also when to use the " mode " button " economy "

thank you
mike
Mike,

I keep my exhaust brake on most of the time. I either heard or read that in slippery road conditions you should turn it off because of the ABS but I don't know if that is true or not.

On the mode button - On steep grades turn it off. On gradual sloping hills leave it on. On flat roads it makes little or no difference. Entering freeways turn it off for faster acceleration.

With the mode button on the transmission will keep in a higher gear longer before downshifting to a lower gear. This in theory gives you better fuel mileage. Going up steep grades keeping the tranny in a higher gear will slow you down faster. I turn it off and will manually downshift the tranny to keep the rpms up which will help keep up your speed.

Gary
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2013, 06:02 AM   #1052

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcopeland View Post
My brake lights "do not" come on when the exhaust brake activates.
I haven't checked to see what the brake lights do when the exhaust brake activates but I'm sure it would be the same as Tom's.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:02 AM   #1053

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmadams View Post
I keep my exhaust brake on most of the time. I either heard or read that in slippery road conditions you should turn it off because of the ABS but I don't know if that is true or not.
In perusing some posts on a thread regarding exhaust manifold leaks in the Cummins Power Train forum, I encountered this statement from Yukon Jack:

"When i purchased replacement exhaust manifold and all associated hardware, i had a discussion with a Cummins service manager and he stated that frequent use of the PAC Brake, generates a great amount of additional heat in the turbo and exhaust manifold. In his opinion and from his experiences, he feels that the generation of this higher heat level seems to have some influence on these manifold and gasket problems. And as can be assumed, the magnitude of heat build up in the turbo and exhaust manifold is dependent on how often and how long a person leaves the PAC Brake energized. This scenario seems to have logic as I have always heard that with a PAC Brake, the best thing you could do is use it, and as a result I constantly used mine.

From this experience, I am going to modify my driving habits a little to try and do a better job of balancing the use of the PAC Brake vs the chassis brakes in order to better optimize braking performance vs expensive component service life."

Food for thought ...

Norb

2005 Honda Pilot toad
Old 08-08-2013, 08:51 AM   #1054

Thor Owners Club
I feel as though my husband and I are in over our heads having purchased a diesel pusher. We don't even know what an exhaust brake is, much less how to use it! Lord help us!
Old 08-08-2013, 09:05 AM   #1055

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingerela View Post
I feel as though my husband and I are in over our heads having purchased a diesel pusher. We don't even know what an exhaust brake is, much less how to use it! Lord help us!
It's a unique feature of diesel engines, namely the capability to use the compression in the combustion chambers of the pistons to help slow down the coach. You could probably approximate the effect on a gasoline-powered engine vehicle with a stick-shift transmission by turning off the ignition while moving (not recommended in traffic!) - the compression of the cylinders in the engine, without spark or fuel, would simply have a braking effect and slow the vehicle.

Of course, the implementation of the exhaust brake on a diesel includes the control of the transmission, causing earlier downshifting of the gears when the exhaust brake is engaged to amplify the slowing effect and make it more effective.

Once you go down a steep grade with your coach and utilize the exhaust brake + the air brakes, you'll appreciate the advantage you have in your ability to control the speed of the coach, and reduce the heating of the brakes that would take place if you didn't have the assistance of the exhaust brake.

Norb

2005 Honda Pilot toad
Old 08-08-2013, 11:16 AM   #1056

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
You might want to take the Camp Freightliner class. Mike Cody does a great job going over the Freightliner chassis specific to your rig.

Here is the link:

Camp Freightliner

Gary
Old 08-08-2013, 11:35 AM   #1057

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Quote:

You might want to take the Camp Freightliner class. Mike Cody does a great job going over the Freightliner chassis specific to your rig.

Here is the link:

Camp Freightliner

Gary
We all feel that way to start. It will come has you get out on the road.
See ya out there!
Old 08-08-2013, 11:37 AM   #1058

Thor Owners Club
Gary, we have already signed up for the class in mid September. I guess we'll just have to keep our new Palazzo parked until then. Would hate to do something wrong!

Photoguy1313, thank you for the explanation. I now understand what the exhaust break does and I'm just hoping I can remember all this when needed.
Old 08-08-2013, 01:37 PM   #1059

Quote:
You are not alone. We are making the jump from tent trailer to the Palazzo. Can not express how much we have learned, and continue to learn from the forum. Thank you to all for the education.

Mike
Old 08-08-2013, 02:30 PM   #1060

+1 on balancing the use of the exhaust brake. I mainly keep mine on cause it just works so good and its less foot work (main reason why I use it). The combination of the exhaust brake and the air brakes perform very well... I will try to use the exhaust brakes only when there are alot of cars/trucks around... if the road looks pretty open, I will shut it off and just use my foot.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:36 PM   #1061

Evergreen Owners Club
I no Im getting ahead of my self since I just got the coach so here goes .

On the 6 month or 6000 mile service does the engine oil and filter get changed ?
also how many hour's on generator for first oil change and there after oil change intervals ?

Thank's
mike
Old 08-08-2013, 03:42 PM   #1062

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebrls View Post
I no Im getting ahead of my self since I just got the coach so here goes .

On the 6 month or 6000 mile service does the engine oil and filter get changed ?
also how many hour's on generator for first oil change and there after oil change intervals ?

Thank's
mike
On the generator your first oil change is at 50 hours. The next one is at 150 hours. I don't remember the interval after that but it is in one of your manuals.

Concerning the 6000 mile service, I think that you can skip it and just do the 1 yr/15000 mile service
Old 08-09-2013, 07:55 AM   #1063

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
On the generator your first oil change is at 50 hours. The next one is at 150 hours. I don't remember the interval after that but it is in one of your manuals.

Concerning the 6000 mile service, I think that you can skip it and just do the 1 yr/15000 mile service
Mike - I got curious about oil changes after the initial 150 hours. It is every 150 hours after that.

You should run your generator under a load for an hour once a month. In warm weather I will run both ACs. When it is cold I plug in ceramic heaters to put a load on the genny.

Gary
Old 08-09-2013, 09:40 AM   #1064

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Quote:

Mike - I got curious about oil changes after the initial 150 hours. It is every 150 hours after that.

You should run your generator under a load for an hour once a month. In warm weather I will run both ACs. When it is cold I plug in ceramic heaters to put a load on the genny.

Gary
Learned the hard way the 6000 service has been deleted.
Closed Thread