Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 09:25 PM   #1541

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver-Max View Post
I'm thinking of getting a window shade for the front window to keep the heat out. The drop down shade works okay but still tramps heat between the shade and the window glass. Has anybody had any experience with Magne Shade. They are expensive but seem easy to install once they have been fitted.

Iggy
2013 33.1
MINI Cooper Clubman S
FMCA & Good Sam's
I ordered magna shades for the front and two side cockpit windows for our 33.2 recently and should be getting them next week. If the are as good as their sales pitch they should be great. The heat these windows can generate is unbelievable. Hope to also cut down on the A/C needs and the associated A/C noise. The drilling of numerous holes in the fiberglass front for snaps or turn buttons is something I did not want to do for other types of shades. Magna shades are somewhat pricy but I am confident they will be worth the cost. Will let you know later as to how they meet my expectations. Ed
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2013, 05:18 AM   #1542

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERStarck View Post
I ordered magna shades for the front and two side cockpit windows for our 33.2 recently and should be getting them next week. If the are as good as their sales pitch they should be great. The heat these windows can generate is unbelievable. Hope to also cut down on the A/C needs and the associated A/C noise. The drilling of numerous holes in the fiberglass front for snaps or turn buttons is something I did not want to do for other types of shades. Magna shades are somewhat pricy but I am confident they will be worth the cost. Will let you know later as to how they meet my expectations. Ed
Ed,

I just requested a quote for the front and side windows (Black) from Magna Shade.

We will be headed for Texas for the Winter towards the end of the month with a couple of short trips in-between so we may need to wait until we arrive in Texas before we order.

Very interested in getting your opinion on these shades.

Thanks!
Jack
Old 09-05-2013, 06:00 AM   #1543

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The Magne Shades are very easy to put up and take down. They do help keep the hot sun from heating up the windshield and the cockpit area. The DW likes them because of the privacy and that she can still see outside.

Here is a post that I made where Roger was installing them on my Palazzo. He made the template from my visit.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/pala...ml#post1471986
Old 09-05-2013, 07:29 AM   #1544

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmadams View Post
The Magne Shades are very easy to put up and take down. They do help keep the hot sun from heating up the windshield and the cockpit area. The DW likes them because of the privacy and that she can still see outside.

Here is a post that I made where Roger was installing them on my Palazzo. He made the template from my visit.

Your magna shades look great, nice looking rig. Our 33.2 is in the Cinnamon Shore scheme so we ordered the dark brown with tweed trim binding at Roger's suggestion. He indicated that the black or brown shade color would be the most efficient at reducing the heat problems. Since we are leaving a couple of weeks early for the Thor rally in Goshen, he was very accommodating in getting them shipped out to us in a timely manner. Great people to work with!!! I am glad you had your order placed before mine - they had the necessary patterns to make mine. We love scooting down the road in our Palazzo.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:15 AM   #1545

Dale:

I have a set and they work great. The side curtains use magnets placed on the outside and the front shade has the magnets on the inside. I believe the coach stays cooler because the space between the electric privacy shade and the MagneShade does not get heated up. They have the patterns so it is an easy but slightly expensive buy. No ladders or snaps to install.

Frank Schaub
Old 09-05-2013, 11:19 AM   #1546

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmadams View Post

Does your comment about Roger installing them mean we have take it somewhere for initial installation?
Old 09-05-2013, 11:23 AM   #1547

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERStarck View Post
Your magna shades look great, nice looking rig. Our 33.2 is in the Cinnamon Shore scheme so we ordered the dark brown with tweed trim binding at Roger's suggestion. He indicated that the black or brown shade color would be the most efficient at reducing the heat problems. Since we are leaving a couple of weeks early for the Thor rally in Goshen, he was very accommodating in getting them shipped out to us in a timely manner. Great people to work with!!! I am glad you had your order placed before mine - they had the necessary patterns to make mine. We love scooting down the road in our Palazzo.
I am surprised that black or brown is said to be best for heat reduction. I would think those colors would soak up heat and a light color would be better. Can anyone explain?
Would hate to see a windshield break due to overheating.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:49 PM   #1548

Thor Owners Club
Valvoline Premium Blue Oil

Just got back from O'Reilly Auto Parts. They had the oil on sale for $11.99 gal (normally $17.99). Just want to give everyone a "heads up" in case you need some oil.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:50 PM   #1549

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butte64 View Post
Does your comment about Roger installing them mean we have take it somewhere for initial installation?
No. You can install the magnets. I went to Mocksville to have the template made and had Roger do the install while I was there. It takes two people for the install of the magnets but after that it is a one man show. Very easy to put up and take down with no ladder or help.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:43 PM   #1550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butte64 View Post
I am surprised that black or brown is said to be best for heat reduction. I would think those colors would soak up heat and a light color would be better. Can anyone explain?
Would hate to see a windshield break due to overheating.

Before ordering the shades I would have agreed with you. When a dark colored item is placed in direct sun light, especially black, it absorbs and holds the greatest amount of heat. Can be almost impossible to touch. The person I talked to at Magna Shade said that is not the case with the materials they use in their shades. The lighter shade materials offer the least amount of protection from incoming heat. They indicated the fabric they use does not function in that manner. It is my understanding that their fabric absorbs the incoming heat and the releases or reflects it back out away from the glass. I do not understand how this works but I'll follow their advise and recommendations. Today I received an e-mail that my shades are in transit. Look forward to installing them.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:54 PM   #1551

Well we picked up our Palazzo 33.3 today from Sunset RV near Tacoma, WA. It took a week longer than expected due to a slide repair. Sure glad it was identified during our test drive and repaired before PDI. Thanks to everyone on this forum, we were able to conduct a thorough PDI and identified a few punch list items that we'll work on during our first service. We ran into another couple that was picking up their 2014 Palazzo 33.3. Glad we'll have a few local owners to share some stories and good times with. We may need to have our own rally up here in the Pacific Northwest!
Old 09-06-2013, 01:25 AM   #1552

Quote:
Originally Posted by beagletim View Post
Well we picked up our Palazzo 33.3 today from Sunset RV near Tacoma, WA. It took a week longer than expected due to a slide repair. Sure glad it was identified during our test drive and repaired before PDI. Thanks to everyone on this forum, we were able to conduct a thorough PDI and identified a few punch list items that we'll work on during our first service. We ran into another couple that was picking up their 2014 Palazzo 33.3. Glad we'll have a few local owners to share some stories and good times with. We may need to have our own rally up here in the Pacific Northwest!

Tim, it was great meeting you and Jolie today. It was obvious that we were both very well educated about our purchases from our time here on the forum. Would love to get together with you and other Pacific Northwest Palazzo owners.

It was a busy Palazzo day at Sunset RV, where we also picked up our Palazzo 33.3. Very few items on the punch list, with the only major one being a crack in the front windshield. Decided to take it home despite the crack and see what else turned up that could be taken care of when the windshield is replaced. Looking forward to hitting the road in our first RV, and very comfortable with our choice of the Palazzo.

Mike & Christa
2014 Palazzo 33.3
Old 09-06-2013, 01:41 AM   #1553

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArnolds View Post

Ed,

I just requested a quote for the front and side windows (Black) from Magna Shade.

We will be headed for Texas for the Winter towards the end of the month with a couple of short trips in-between so we may need to wait until we arrive in Texas before we order.

Very interested in getting your opinion on these shades.

Thanks!
Jack
Where in Texas? We will probably be down there for a while. Then may go see the kids in Florida.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:09 AM   #1554

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batten54 View Post
Where in Texas? We will probably be down there for a while. Then may go see the kids in Florida.
Our home base will be La Hacienda RV Resort just west of Austin in the hill country, La Hacienda RV Resort & Cottages

We have friends that live near by in Lago Vista, on a golf course . While visiting them a couple of years ago we found La Hacienda and talked with the owners about wintering at their park. From what we were told the park starts filling up with "Winter Texans" in October with lots of activities.

This past winter we spent almost a month in the Tampa Florida area and it did not appeal to us so we decided to give Texas a try this winter. We will be driving our car back to Ohio for Christmas and New Years to visit family and get some Doctor's appoints out of the way.

We have friends scattered around Texas and we plan on investigating other areas to decide if we want to make Texas our winter destination or maybe purchase something to make a more permanent move. We are not full timers and still have a home in Ohio so we could do our summers up north with the family.

There will be a lot of discussion and decisions to make this winter so lets see how it goes in Texas.

If you are anywhere near Austin October/November give us a shout and we could get together (PM me and I will give you my contact info).

Thanks!
Jack
Closed Thread