Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 10:37 AM   #2395

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArnolds View Post
We pulled into our winter location in Texas on the 28th of September and this morning we decided to unplug and drive to top off the fuel tank and exercise the coach before we bed it back down until the 1st of March. Everything operated perfectly and we both got the bug to travel again. We have owned our Palazzo for 17 months (14,700 miles) and we love our coach! I would like to also say that Thor has been very responsive to the few, minor, issues we have experienced. This is the second Thor class A we have owned and I would not hesitate to buy another Thor product!
Great to hear you are having a good time.
I agree with your note on Thor. Had a Jayco class c before. Won't get into the issues I had with that or the problems with getting things fixed.
Have fun. Hope to meet u in MB in the spring.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2013, 12:59 PM   #2396

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRoadking View Post
Have any of you installed a portable Sirius radio in your Palazzo? I called to cancel my old one and they said they would send me a portable for free, so I took it. If you have, where did you put the antenna? It is magnetic. I don't think that is going to stick. Also how did you run the wire.
Do you have a part number or other identifying number. I tried to talk to Sirius and all I got were people from India that could not understand English.
Old 11-19-2013, 04:22 PM   #2397

So we took our first trip in our 2013 Palazzo 33.1.......450 miles round-trip---to Brooksville and then to Ocala, Fl to show our beagles at dog shows. ( We previously had several shakedown multi-day tests at a campground close to home). We spent 12 days in the MH and had a great time. We travelled with the front roof-top ac on and ran the genset. We got 9.8 mpg with total fuel used for both genset and main engine---(and, with just fuel to cummins----10.8mpg).

We towed our ford focus with Blue Ox base-plate, Blue-Ox Alpha arm, and RVI2 brake. All went very well....the rvi2 only applies the brakes in harder stops and worked well. Since it was my first time towing with the car and brake system I brought along my infrared thermometer to check the disc and trans temp to make sure nothing was heating up on the toad.....no problems to report....

The MH was a real pleasure....we used all the systems, including the heat. Everything worked.....except a leaking water pump......which I have now removed and will replace on my next trip. I e-mailed Thor today-- and--- tonight they called and said send it back and they will reimburse me.

There was a cabinet door hinge I fixed....but it was no hill for a climber.....

The DVD player had a hum through the speakers but I switched the combo unit from 1k ohms to 75 ohms and the hum went away.

I installed the pro-fill battery fill system on the house batteries, waxed the starboard side(which now completes the wax job), and polished the wheel covers......

Scoots won in Brooksville and is now a Grand Champion. Patch took a four point major and may one day be a Champion also....

We are off next to Miami at which time I will fix the pump..

Had lots-a-fun, the rig was great, the beer was cold n plentiful---

Regards
Rich, Patty, Scooter n Patch
2013 Palazzo 33.1, 2014 FocusSE, Blue Ox plate and bar, RVI2
Old 11-19-2013, 07:30 PM   #2398

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK IV View Post
Do you have a part number or other identifying number. I tried to talk to Sirius and all I got were people from India that could not understand English.
They are sending me a Stratus 7
Old 11-19-2013, 09:55 PM   #2399

I think comparing Thor Palazzo to the Newmar Ventana LE, Itasca Solei or Winnebago Forza is fair. There are a couple of things that lead me to choose the Palazzo over these units.

First, compared to the Newmar

1. The Palazzo bunk model was 35 feet. In my area, I cannot park my RV overnight in my driveway if it was 36 feet plus. Newmar is almost 39 feet.
2. 10,000 pound towing capacity (load balanced) on the Thor, 5000 on the Newmar but I suspect they are effectively the same due to gross vehicle weight capacities.
3. I think the Palazzo is a nicer looking (lame, I know)
4. Standard residential refrigerator (additional charge on Newmar)
5. 6 house batteries (Newmar is 4 - part of up charge if you get a res fridge is to get to 6)
6. LED lighting is an option on the Newmar (Thor is now LED standard - I had the dealer switch as part of the deal)
7. Bunk windows are an option on the Newmar
8. Double pane is an option on the Newmar
9. MCD window shades are an option
10. Vinyl flooring in the bedroom is an option on the Newmar
11. TVs in the bunk area are an option
12. The Newmar is standard with a 1200 watt inverter - upgraded to 2000 watt with a residential refrig option
13. I wanted something under 12 feet high so I could park in a storage shed (standard 12 foot door). Newmar is closer to 13 feet.

When I compared, apples to apples, adding the residential fridge, dual pane, MCD, updated inverter, bunk windows, bunk TVs, etc, the price was about $40,000 more. It bridged the gap between the Palazzo 33.3 and the Berkshire 390BH, nicely, however. It is a very nice unit but should be for $30 to $40K more.
Old 11-20-2013, 04:30 AM   #2400

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRoadking View Post
Have any of you installed a portable Sirius radio in your Palazzo? I called to cancel my old one and they said they would send me a portable for free, so I took it. If you have, where did you put the antenna? It is magnetic. I don't think that is going to stick. Also how did you run the wire.
I'm just curious as to why you cancelled your old one. Was it set up in another vehicle ? Why didn't you just activate the radio in the Palazzo,it is satellite ready. You still need to activate the portable one with a new Sirius subscription. Just asking.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:58 AM   #2401

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramps2578 View Post
I'm just curious as to why you cancelled your old one. Was it set up in another vehicle ? Why didn't you just activate the radio in the Palazzo,it is satellite ready. You still need to activate the portable one with a new Sirius subscription. Just asking.
I tried to call in and activate mine. I was told after a lot of hassle that I had to buy some other part and have it installed for it to work! Paperwork and front of radio indicates it's Sirius READY . I expect it to work!

Has anyone out there just called in and activated the Sirius without doing anything else? I have Sirius on my 2011 F150 and 2013 Jeep Wrangler and had no problems with them.

If I ever get my motorhome back from the shop...again...I'll try to call in. Maybe I can get someone that understands English...?
Old 11-20-2013, 07:07 AM   #2402

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batten54 View Post
I tried to call in and activate mine. I was told after a lot of hassle that I had to buy some other part and have it installed for it to work! Paperwork and front of radio indicates it's Sirius READY . I expect it to work!

Has anyone out there just called in and activated the Sirius without doing anything else? I have Sirius on my 2011 F150 and 2013 Jeep Wrangler and had no problems with them.

If I ever get my motorhome back from the shop...again...I'll try to call in. Maybe I can get someone that understands English...?
You have to purchase the module that plugs into the back of the radio.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:17 AM   #2403

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:

Here is the link that talks about the module.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/pala...ml#post1348126
Old 11-20-2013, 07:18 AM   #2404

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmadams View Post
You have to purchase the module that plugs into the back of the radio.
And how much is that? Where can you get it? Install or DIY?
Old 11-20-2013, 07:20 AM   #2405

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
And how much is that? Where can you get it? Install or DIY?

You can do it yourself. Just use the U shaped rod that came with your paperwork to pull the radio out and plug it in behind the radio. The module should be less than $50 +/-
Old 11-20-2013, 07:58 AM   #2406

Thor Owners Club
I haven't posted very often but decided to provide my experiences to date and hopefully the information may help others;

We have a 33.1 purchased in April 2013 and now with 5,500 miles. We had a warranty visit to the Elkhart factory in Sept - they fixed the following items;

1.) The main entry door swings open with a lot of force (I am speculating the door shock absorber lacks compression). The hinge on the top of the door is already damaged.
- I removed the piston and applied a bumper to the fuel door

2.) We have a split seal on a basement door, which will need to be replaced. Also the doors do not stay latched.
- We have water leaks in the two large storage bays and the smaller one where the water tank is located.
3.) One of the kitchen cabinet doors is a lot lighter in color then the rest of the doors (see picture).
4.) We have a buzzing/humming noise with the F50- ATS Furrion automatic transfer switch located behind a panel below the main TV (I checked and it's not hot just noisy).
5.) The sound bar below the main TV does not produce sound.
I disconnected the HDMI cable to get the sound bar to work - this doesn't seem to be the long-term solution? 

6.) When traveling we have the clunk sound behind the drivers seat somewhere in the main slide (this has been reported by several Palazzo owners).
Also the slide cover bows in the center allowing significant amounts of water to pool in the center

7.) There are numerous minor finish issues with the woodwork mainly associated with poorly finished nail wholes.
8.) The trim is loose on the bathroom door frame.
9.) the window fabric frame on the drivers side in the bedroom is loose (the rear bracket is not attached correctly)
10.) On rear wheel well a metal strip is loose and needs to be trimmed and reattached. This issue is beginning on the other wheel wells.
11.) The mirror in the bathroom cabinet broke after being closed - It wasn't slammed but the latch does require a firm push to close.
- I already replaced
12.) A overhead bedroom cabinet door broke when being opened. It’s been temporarily glued back together but should be replaced
13.) In the storage bin located below the driver, a 12-volt fuse connector is empty. I don’t know what fuse is specified or if one should be installed.
14.) Sink cupboard hinge is loose.
15.) Water pump is load and has banging sound.
16.) Trim gap on bathroom door – interior upper corner
17.) Toilet handle cover piece does not stay fully attached
18.) Wastebasket door crooked
19.) Generator hard to start and then stopped working
20.) Porch light not working

All these items were corrected. They needed four days to complete. The 4th day was needed to send to the Onan service center to replace the fuel pump.

I have found the noise in the main slide can be corrected by releasing the tension in the slide after retracting by extending the slide by approximately 1/4".

Also - one added suggestion for those who have commented on the limited space for the bunk mattress. I drilled a whole 3.5" below the whole that is used for the holding pin used in the up position. I purchased a "U" bracket 3.5" long by 1.5" wide to lower the stored position of the bed in the stored position. The extra room allows for a mattress and/or bedding storage.

I hope this information is helpful.

Overall - the RV has worked very well.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:59 AM   #2407

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmadams View Post
You can do it yourself. Just use the U shaped rod that came with your paperwork to pull the radio out and plug it in behind the radio. The module should be less than $50 +/-
Would Best Buy have one...or do you have to order it?

Just frustrating...I buy a Ford pickup for around 30K (nicely equipped) and everything works perfect.
I buy a 207,000K (list) motorhome from the largest manufacture (I think) Thor....and it spends over 7 weeks out of the first 5 months in the shop...it's there now! And I have to go buy a separate module to get the radio to work as stated....

Sorry...just that kind of morning.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:12 AM   #2408

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Would Best Buy have one...or do you have to order it?

Just frustrating...I buy a Ford pickup for around 30K (nicely equipped) and everything works perfect.
I buy a 207,000K (list) motorhome from the largest manufacture (I think) Thor....and it spends over 7 weeks out of the first 5 months in the shop...it's there now! And I have to go buy a separate module to get the radio to work as stated....

Sorry...just that kind of morning.
Best Buy should have it. I got mine from a local sound shop that sells and installs radios, speakers, etc for vehicles.
Closed Thread