Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 07:12 PM   #2675

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petcar View Post
Thank you Jack OR Karen, I will do more studying. Peter
Peter,

You are welcome!

Jack
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2014, 08:37 PM   #2676

Has anyone used a Dish Tailgater with their Palazzo?
Old 01-04-2014, 05:21 AM   #2677

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptschlep View Post
Anyone pulling a pickup truck? If so, can you share type of truck, and how it is going? Thinking of buying a Ford F150, or new Silverado. Thanks,
I used to tow a 1998 2WD F-150. In order to do that I would disconnect the drive shaft at the differential and suspend it from a bracket I fabricated below the pickup bed. Not the most convenient way to prepare for towing (especially if it was raining), but it did get the job done (and I was younger then). Standard item to carry in the truck was a creeper for getting underneath, and the truck tracked beautifully. Towed that way behind both a gasser and a diesel pusher.

2005 Honda Pilot toad
Old 01-04-2014, 09:12 AM   #2678

BIRD

I bought an Ultra Trik-L-Start in anticipation of needing a separate charger for the chassis batteries. I had that issue with my Class C MH. The Trik-L-Start is really cool, although I suspect it is just a couple of potted diodes. Ultra TRIK-L-START Starting Battery Charger/Maintainer It has not been installed after more reading about the BIRD.

When I read the description of how the BIRD operates, it states:
"When the coach is plugged into shore power, both batteries will be charged from the converter." see http://www.discoveryowners.com/BIRD.pdf.

I'm not 100% comfortable that the BIRD is working as described. I will measure voltage on both sets of batteries today. The coach has been plugged in for about a month with no loads.

In the event I do not use the Trik-L-Start for the coach, I may use it between the chassis and the toad to keep the toad battery charged.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:33 AM   #2679

Cold weather travel

Never traveled much in cold weather. What's the best way to stay warm while on the road? We've winterized everything and will stay winterized until we reach warmer areas. Is it safe to run the furnace while traveling? How about running the generator, if it will start in the cold- it's now about zero out, and using an electric space heater? How about a free standing propane space heater as long as we a crack a window open for some fresh air?

Iggy
Michigan & heading south
2013 33.1
MINI Cooper toad
Old 01-04-2014, 10:11 AM   #2680

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver-Max View Post
Never traveled much in cold weather. What's the best way to stay warm while on the road? We've winterized everything and will stay winterized until we reach warmer areas. Is it safe to run the furnace while traveling? How about running the generator, if it will start in the cold- it's now about zero out, and using an electric space heater? How about a free standing propane space heater as long as we a crack a window open for some fresh air?

Iggy
Michigan & heading south
2013 33.1
MINI Cooper toad
I would not run a propane space heater, I would run the generator with electric heaters.

Some people run the furnace while driving, some say is is not safe if an accident occurs. There are big threads on this topic with varying opinions.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:13 AM   #2681

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauro View Post
Speaking of electrical matters, I have a naive question. I keep my 2014 33.2 in a heated hangar and it is plugged in. I take it in and out of the hangar once a week since my airplane sits behind it. I also let it idle for about ten minutes while the plane comes out. Yesterday, I saw the message "low battery" and I was surprised because I thought that when it is plugged in all batteries are kept full. I was obviously wrong. It seems that while the house batteries are kept charged, the engine batteries are not. Is this the correct interpretation? Should one have e separate charger attached to the engine batteries? Thanks,
Mauro
2014 Palazzo 33.2
2014 Jeep Cherokee
By the way, forgot to ask if you use the disconnect switch on the engine batteries. I have left mine for several weeks without starting and battery does not go down.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:22 AM   #2682

Quote:

Iggy
Michigan & heading south
2013 33.1
MINI Cooper toad
Iggy,

You have opened up a Pandora's box of opinions so be prepared to have people jump in on both sides. I will explain what I do or have done and it works for me.

Furnace while driving, yes and it keeps us nice a warm when traveling in coldd weather.
Many people will tell you to turn off your propane tank while driving because it is located behind the front tire and the lines could be damaged if the left front tire blows. I consider this to be a remote risk.

Running the generator, yes in the summer to operate the roof A/C's. As for running a space heater, never tried but it should be OK but not as efficient as the propane furnace. Most if not all space heaters have a tip over switch so if it falls over it will turn off.

Running a propane space heater? Never considered it and I do not think I would as long a my furnace was working.

Hope this helps?

Jack
Old 01-04-2014, 01:00 PM   #2683

Quote:
Never traveled much in cold weather. What's the best way to stay warm while on the road? We've winterized everything and will stay winterized until we reach warmer areas. Is it safe to run the furnace while traveling? How about running the generator, if it will start in the cold- it's now about zero out, and using an electric space heater? How about a free standing propane space heater as long as we a crack a window open for some fresh air? Iggy Michigan & heading south 2013 33.1 MINI Cooper toad
Only time I turn my propane off is if coach is parked and not in use. (Oct to Jan). Always have propane turned on when on the road. Now heating coach. You will probably need more heat than your dash will provide.

Turn the furnace up and travel in short sleeves. Propane will be minimal cost. I run my furnace and full water too. I have run as low as 12 degree one night in SD. I've never had anything freeze.

As to electric heaters I guess that will work too. Generator will most likely start. I've never done that as my furnace & dash do just fine.

We like to be comfortable so we don't worry about propane cost in cold climate and in warm weather we will run generator as much as needed to keep coach cool. Generators like to be uses. Don't use them u will lose them.

As to a propane free standing heater. That don't have my name on it anywhere. I'll do about anything but I can't see where that would be safe??

Russell
Old 01-04-2014, 01:29 PM   #2684

Thor Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butte64 View Post
You are correct about engine batteries not charging when plugged in. But they should not be dropping so much in just a week.

Also you should reconsider all that idling, it is not good for engines using DEF.
Thanks. I have already ordered a battery charger/battery minder with desulfator, which I will attach to the two engine batteries as soon as I'll get it. Actually the last long trip was in November, so, aside for about ten minutes idling every week, no substantial charging of the batteries really has taken place in the last two months. I guess that would be enough time to give a low battery indication. The new charger will also eliminate the idling, which you tell me it is not good for this rig.
Mauro
2014 Palazzo 33.2
2014 Jeep Cherokee
Old 01-04-2014, 04:18 PM   #2685

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauro View Post
Thanks. I have already ordered a battery charger/battery minder with desulfator, which I will attach to the two engine batteries as soon as I'll get it. Actually the last long trip was in November, so, aside for about ten minutes idling every week, no substantial charging of the batteries really has taken place in the last two months. I guess that would be enough time to give a low battery indication. The new charger will also eliminate the idling, which you tell me it is not good for this rig.
Mauro
2014 Palazzo 33.2
2014 Jeep Cherokee
Sorry but I disagree with Butte64 about batteries.
I wrote earlier today about the BIRD on post 2678.

The BIRD does keep both battery sets charged while plugged in provided the battery disconnect switch is closed. I just checked my batteries today after being on shore power for a month and both sets are fully charged.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:06 PM   #2686

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butte64 View Post

By the way, forgot to ask if you use the disconnect switch on the engine batteries. I have left mine for several weeks without starting and battery does not go down.
One thing to note is that if you turn off the chassis batteries with the rotary switch in the battery compartment, the chassis battery will not receive a charge from shore power via the BIRD-controlled solenoid. You can verify this behavior with a volt meter.

Norb

2005 Honda Pilot toad
Old 01-04-2014, 09:29 PM   #2687

Cold weather travel

Thanks for all the input. I'll try the furnace and see what happens. The winter just won't let go and running in the cold ain't my idea of fun.

Iggy
2013 33.1
MINI Cooper toad - hardly know it's back there.
Old 01-05-2014, 01:51 AM   #2688

The dash heaters dont put out a ton of heat because the lines from the engine in the rear to the front heater are so long the hot anti-freeze from the engine cools down quite a bit. So if your cockpit isn't staying toasty warm and/or your defroster wont keep up with nasty ice build up there are several things you can do:

1-Hang some curtains from the ledge of the overhead bunk (at least on a 33.2) to enclose the cockpit area. This will trap what dash heat you are getting into a much smaller area.

2-Be sure to run the overhead fans too with them pointed at the windshield. This will help circulate more warm air from the ceiling to the windshield instead of just relying on what comes out of the top of the dash vents.

3-Get a small electric ceramic cube heater. They put out an amazing amount of heat and your inverter will run it just fine as you drive down the road.

4-If you want to heat the entire vehicle you can run your propane furnace while going down the road. The furnace operates on 12 volts so no need to run your generator.

5-I would not recommend using a propane space heater whether the vehicle is moving or stationary.