Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 10:19 AM   #2689

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianjim View Post
Sorry but I disagree with Butte64 about batteries.
I wrote earlier today about the BIRD on post 2678.

The BIRD does keep both battery sets charged while plugged in provided the battery disconnect switch is closed. I just checked my batteries today after being on shore power for a month and both sets are fully charged.
Jim,
Thanks for the information about the BIRD. Perhaps my 33.1 is different or my BIRD is not working as what you describe is not my experience. Also, the Palazzo manual has information on charging the auxiliary (coach) battery while on shore power but not chassis battery. See below for details on test. By the way, I will be living in Atlanta (Chamblee) for another month so if you would like to show me what is different with your setup I would be happy to visit with you.

Norb (Photoguy) I definitely agree that with the chassis battery connected you should see charging voltage with a voltmeter if it is charging while connected to shore power. But I am not getting charging. See below for test data.

Today is the first opportunity I have had to do anything with my Palazzo in awhile. It has been tucked away in my hangar and batteries not charging for over two months. It has not been connected to shore power or chargers all this time. Here is my observations from today.

Starting:
Chassis battery disconnect OFF, Chassis battery voltage 12.8 V
Auxiliary battery totally disconnected, voltage 12.7
So even though they have not been charging and the weather has been cold they have both done well on holding a charge.

I connected the auxiliary battery and switched on the 50A shore power.
Initial charge voltage on auxiliary battery 15.2 V at battery and 15.1 on monitor with bulk charging.

Chassis battery with disconnect switched ON - 12.79 V (NOT the charging voltage)

Charging went from Bulk to Absorb to Float and down to 13.1 V in about three hours.

So my conclusion is the results are what it says in the manaual. When connected to shore power only the auxiliary batteries are charged. At least on my Palazzo 33.1 the chassis batteries are not charged on shore power. Is there something I should be doing different or some other test I could do?

While different brand and model coaches are different, I have seen several other people who have separate charging for the chassis batteries.

Mauro, I hope this information helps. Maybe all you need to do is turn the chassis disconnect switch to the OFF position. Or you could get one of those little Battery Tender boxes that automatically regulate the charge level to prevent sulfation or other ill effects of over charging.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2014, 07:25 PM   #2690

Here's one for you. What is the switch in the rear bathroom on the 36.1 next to toilet? I thought it was a water pump switch but it's not.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:40 PM   #2691

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I would like to know that as well
Old 01-05-2014, 08:23 PM   #2692

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcsurf1 View Post
Here's one for you. What is the switch in the rear bathroom on the 36.1 next to toilet? I thought it was a water pump switch but it's not.
Where is your engine block heater switch??
On my 33.2 it is on the side if the bed. Crazy place for it. Bathroom sounds about as crazy!!??

Russell
Old 01-05-2014, 08:38 PM   #2693

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChallengerRN View Post

Where is your engine block heater switch??
On my 33.2 it is on the side if the bed. Crazy place for it. Bathroom sounds about as crazy!!??

Russell
Wall looking switch with red light?
Old 01-06-2014, 03:20 AM   #2694

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
On the 36.1 the switch down low next to the toilet is the engine block heater switch. The switch plate also has a red light that indicates the block heater is on.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:07 AM   #2695

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butte64 View Post
So my conclusion is the results are what it says in the manaual. When connected to shore power only the auxiliary batteries are charged. At least on my Palazzo 33.1 the chassis batteries are not charged on shore power. Is there something I should be doing different or some other test I could do?.
I experienced an intermittent problem with my 33.2. It turned out to be a problem with the solenoid controlled by the BIRD. The factory sent me a replacement and now all is well.

You can test your setup by disconnecting the control wire on the solenoid that comes from the BIRD and, with shore power connected, intermittently touch the wire to its connection point. You should hear the solenoid engage/disengage. If you do then the solenoid is the problem. If no engage/disengage, the problem is with the BIRD.

Norb

2005 Honda Pilot toad
Old 01-06-2014, 10:14 AM   #2696

I also have a 33.1. if you will check the round relay rear compartment on passenger side of coach, to see if it is clicking.(dual purpose relay) you can also disconnect the bird from that relay by unplugging wire from bird to relay(bird is in same compartment rear square box) and should click as it disconnects, if voltage on either coach or chassis batteries go below 12.2 voltage it will disconnect automatically. you can also from your dash, push your jump start switch and the same relay will click. when on shore power your coach battery should charge up and the relay should kick in and charge the chassis battery also. if not needs to go to be checked out. et_ky
Old 01-06-2014, 02:29 PM   #2697

Quote:
I believe that it is the engine heater. If it is below freezing, it is a good idea to turn it on a couple of hours before you start. The engine. It is something that I hope I don't use much.

Ann
Old 01-06-2014, 04:17 PM   #2698

Thor Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butte64 View Post
Jim,
Thanks for the information about the BIRD. Perhaps my 33.1 is different or my BIRD is not working as what you describe is not my experience. Also, the Palazzo manual has information on charging the auxiliary (coach) battery while on shore power but not chassis battery. See below for details on test. By the way, I will be living in Atlanta (Chamblee) for another month so if you would like to show me what is different with your setup I would be happy to visit with you.

Norb (Photoguy) I definitely agree that with the chassis battery connected you should see charging voltage with a voltmeter if it is charging while connected to shore power. But I am not getting charging. See below for test data.

Today is the first opportunity I have had to do anything with my Palazzo in awhile. It has been tucked away in my hangar and batteries not charging for over two months. It has not been connected to shore power or chargers all this time. Here is my observations from today.

Starting:
Chassis battery disconnect OFF, Chassis battery voltage 12.8 V
Auxiliary battery totally disconnected, voltage 12.7
So even though they have not been charging and the weather has been cold they have both done well on holding a charge.

I connected the auxiliary battery and switched on the 50A shore power.
Initial charge voltage on auxiliary battery 15.2 V at battery and 15.1 on monitor with bulk charging.

Chassis battery with disconnect switched ON - 12.79 V (NOT the charging voltage)

Charging went from Bulk to Absorb to Float and down to 13.1 V in about three hours.

So my conclusion is the results are what it says in the manaual. When connected to shore power only the auxiliary batteries are charged. At least on my Palazzo 33.1 the chassis batteries are not charged on shore power. Is there something I should be doing different or some other test I could do?

While different brand and model coaches are different, I have seen several other people who have separate charging for the chassis batteries.

Mauro, I hope this information helps. Maybe all you need to do is turn the chassis disconnect switch to the OFF position. Or you could get one of those little Battery Tender boxes that automatically regulate the charge level to prevent sulfation or other ill effects of over charging.
Thanks for all the input, but I am still confused by the different opinions regarding presence or absence of Bird. If it is present, where would it be? Where would the solenoid connection be? Where would the relay be? Also it was my understanding that the round switch in the battery compartment is for the house batteries. Where is the chassis batteries disconnect switch? What is the purpose of that switch? i already ordered a separate charger, but I really would like to know the final word regarding the various parts of the electrical system and in particular the Bird and its functions.
Mauro
2014 Palazzo 33.2
2014 Jeep Cherokee
Old 01-07-2014, 07:27 AM   #2699

Thor Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
OK. I just called THOR, and according to Tom, the BIRD will indeed charge the chassis batteries when the house batteries are full. There we have it, from the horse's mouth!
Mauro
2014 Palazzo 33.2
2024 Jeep Cherokee
Old 01-07-2014, 07:50 AM   #2700

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauro View Post
OK. I just called THOR, and according to Tom, the BIRD will indeed charge the chassis batteries when the house batteries are full. There we have it, from the horse's mouth!
Mauro
2014 Palazzo 33.2
2024 Jeep Cherokee
Looks like we were headed in the same direction! I just got off the phone with Tom before I read your post.

Thanks to IndianJim and Photoguy for their input on this issue. To add a little more to the story, when I asked Tom about this chassis charging and why mine does not show a charging voltage on the chassis battery while connected to short power (with the disconnect ON) he said it depends on voltage. Since my chassis battery is reading 12.8 V he said that is not low enough for the solenoid to kick in that will start the chassis battery charge. He said it needs to get down below 12, like 11.3, before the solenoid will activate and charge the chassis battery. It would be nice if they change the manual to tell the complete story.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to the discussion and I hope this has helped others.

Now the question is why do some people lose power from their chassis batteries even if they are connected to shore power.

FYI, I did not lose power from the chassis batteries after an extended time with no shore power and the disconnect in the OFF position.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:09 AM   #2701

Thanks to everyone for this discussion...lots of good information!
Old 01-07-2014, 08:15 AM   #2702

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArnolds View Post
Thanks to everyone for this discussion...lots of good information!
X2! I learned a lot from the discussions. Much more than the ranting about how bad Thor is.
Closed Thread