Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 10:06 AM   #2759

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRoadking View Post
Welcome to the family. I for one have not had any serious problems and I think there are many more like me. For those that are having problems it has to be terrible, but all of us are not affected. My coach came off the line in late September and is a 2014 33.2. From my experience they have gotten it fixed. Good luck.
Gosh, every time I see posts like this I just wonder if it is luck of the draw. We also have a September built 33.2. Our slide out didn't make it two weeks. When it failed. It failed real bad.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2014, 10:08 AM   #2760

So, to recap, The day we take delivery from camping world, (2 weeks away) run the slid out as many times as possible. Along with go over the whole unit. I think if we see any problems with the slid outs, I think, I will not take delivery.

Correction, I just wont take it.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:14 AM   #2761

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berlin Kid View Post
My bedroom slide pulls in fine. I did notice that it hits the bed frame and the carpet is compressed where it hits the bed frame. Precise engineering or dumb luck?
I wonder that same thing myself. These things have go through a CAD engineering drawing while they are being designed. You know they have engineered in some pretty close tolerances in the dimensions of how things fit together. I just wonder sometimes on the Palazzo we got that something must have went horribly wrong. Nothing works correct on either slide out. I think something somewhere must be out of true with that coach. I also did look at another 33.2 where the bedroom slide out did seem to have a tighter and proper fit at the bottom and it hit the bed frame too.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:26 AM   #2762

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtgam View Post
So, to recap, The day we take delivery from camping world, (2 weeks away) run the slid out as many times as possible. Along with go over the whole unit. I think if we see any problems with the slid outs, I think, I will not take delivery.

Correction, I just wont take it.
You will not be able to "run the slide outs in and out" very quickly or many times in repetition. Those small DC motors will not take it. (if you do this, it will most certainly fail due to the motors over heating.) You will probably not be able to determine if there is an issue until after you take it home later. My slide out failed after approximately 20 slides over a one week period. If you run the large slide in and out 3 or 4 times a day and if it can survive 20 to 30 slides in a week, it might be okay.

You need to look at the slide rails for abnormal wear. By that I mean to check to see if any metal shavings are coming off of them or if they look like they are stripping. If all is good with that, that just means that the slide out should be properly adjusted. The Schwintek motors and the aluminum rails are most definitely the weak link. That slide out is very heavy. Most on this forum will argue this point, but IMHO the Schwintek system is not designed for this very large and heavy slide out.

Do not sign any paper work or let any money pass hands until you are 100% and completely satisfied that your Palazzo has passed all your PDI tests. That was the first mistake I made.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:27 AM   #2763

Yesterday, I sent an email to the MFG rep that we met at the RV show. With in 3min, he called me. He explained that the slid out tracks had been built out of a weaker metal, that they had replaced them with steal. He also sent me an email with the following:
We retailed over 600 palazzos last year and had a couple issues which we addressed. The percentage was very low and we have resolved the issues.
Ryan Rebar - Diesel Product Manager DSM Northeast.
I also have his address, cell phone #. I will be happy to provide it if you PM me. Even if you want to see if you get the same answer, or is he playing my wife and I to just get another unit on the road.

The 2014 36.1 Palazzo like all of yours is not cheap. If there is away to avoid us from making a mistake, please. Our 2009 Fourwinds 32" class c

is paid for, only have 11,000 miles. A new one would be really nice BUT it is not NEEDED. Thank you!
Old 01-12-2014, 10:50 AM   #2764

Quote:
Yesterday, I sent an email to the MFG rep that we met at the RV show. With in 3min, he called me. He explained that the slid out tracks had been built out of a weaker metal, that they had replaced them with steal. He also sent me an email with the following:
We retailed over 600 palazzos last year and had a couple issues which we addressed. The percentage was very low and we have resolved the issues.
Ryan Rebar - Diesel Product Manager DSM Northeast.
I also have his address, cell phone #. I will be happy to provide it if you PM me. Even if you want to see if you get the same answer, or is he playing my wife and I to just get another unit on the road.

The 2014 36.1 Palazzo like all of yours is not cheap. If there is away to avoid us from making a mistake, please. Our 2009 Fourwinds 32" class c

is paid for, only have 11,000 miles. A new one would be really nice BUT it is not NEEDED. Thank you!

Well, seems like you already got mis-information. The slide out rails are still aluminum because they will rust if they get wet. They are exposed to the out side when the slide out it extended. The part that the rep spoke of is not the rails.. maybe you mis-understood, it was the cam bar that runs from the top gear at the motor down to the bottom gear at the bottom rail. The very very early 2013's had an aluminum bar as well. However, my 2014 33.2 had a steel bar running from top to bottom and the slide out still failed. I will preface this by saying that the issue was not with tat bar, rather it was how the slide out was adjusted with the wheels underneath that are supposed to carry the weight of the slide out. Again, the Schwintek system cannot carry the weight of the slide out itself. The slide out must be supported from the bottom. Now, just imagine the slide out in it's out position and with all that weight, there is only one small area underneath it right at the edge of the coach wall that supports the entire weight of it. Think about a seesaw. This is essentially what this slide out turns into. The only other thing that can support the weight of it is 4 aluminum rails on the sides. I know might get flamed for this. But so be it. I am one of the ones with the bad issue, I will point out everything to you I see wrong. Those who have not had any issues I say, good for you. I just wish ours did not screw up.
Old 01-12-2014, 11:55 AM   #2765

Quote:
Yesterday, I sent an email to the MFG rep that we met at the RV show. With in 3min, he called me. He explained that the slid out tracks had been built out of a weaker metal, that they had replaced them with steal. He also sent me an email with the following: We retailed over 600 palazzos last year and had a couple issues which we addressed. The percentage was very low and we have resolved the issues. Ryan Rebar - Diesel Product Manager DSM Northeast. I also have his address, cell phone #. I will be happy to provide it if you PM me. Even if you want to see if you get the same answer, or is he playing my wife and I to just get another unit on the road. The 2014 36.1 Palazzo like all of yours is not cheap. If there is away to avoid us from making a mistake, please. Our 2009 Fourwinds 32" class c is paid for, only have 11,000 miles. A new one would be really nice BUT it is not NEEDED. Thank you!
You have asked a guy that works for Thor if they have any issues or not???? Your got the answer I would expect!!! HE WORKS FOR THOR!! He really like to have a check next week!!

Now I have a 2013. 33.2. So far I love the ride & drive. Love the fuel milage and the freightliner cummins package will make you happy is my guess

Now Palazzoblue probably said it pretty good as to the large slide. I had mine fixed at the factory (the earliest fix). It worked fine for a couple months. Now it seems weak & pops & cracks going out or in. I always make sure to have 100% power to it. When extending or retracting (Shore power or generator) make sure it is level.

They say the latest ones are ok. Well if they are why are some 36.1 having issues ??? They should be the latest ones??

My take is this. Thor has 23+% of the market. Their sales increased by 50+% last year. They know they have this problem & just keep cranking them out. ???? But it's all about the $$$ just keep selling them.

Now if Thor wants to do what's right they should recall these large slides & give everyone the opportunity to get them fixed-- that is if they can even be fixed!!! If there is not a fix then all large slide owners should get a monetary rebate as for sure the resale value on our coaches have gone down drastically.

I attempted to trade mine back in and my dealer offered me $40,000 less after one year. Now thats depreciation!!!

As for me. I would NOT own the large slide again. Just way too much mass to move. I'd even offered to take a $25,000 loss on it. Just couldn't put it together.

Good luck on your decision.

Russell
Old 01-12-2014, 12:07 PM   #2766

This has been a real eye opener.
I have copied the general info and email it to the MFG rep.
Let us see what he says. I will post.
Again, big thanks
Old 01-12-2014, 12:14 PM   #2767

Evergreen Owners Club
REPOST " I posted on other thread "

they sold over 600 palazzo's last year so there's always going to be a very small % that have big problem's doesn't matter what the brand is '
I guess I have one of the good one's because both my slide's work great , I took delivery of my August 2, 2013 and was probably built in june or july of 2013.

? someone had mentioned they do this " I can't even think about opening and closing the slide's 20 to 30 times a week , that rite there I think would be abuse

mike
Old 01-12-2014, 12:20 PM   #2768

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebrls View Post
REPOST " I posted on other thread " they sold over 600 palazzo's last year so there's always going to be a very small % that have big problem's doesn't matter what the brand is ' I guess I have one of the good one's because both my slide's work great , I took delivery of my August 2, 2013 and was probably built in june or july of 2013. ? someone had mentioned they do this " I can't even think about opening and closing the slide's 20 to 30 times a week , that rite there I think would be abuse mike
What model do you have Mike??
Old 01-12-2014, 12:33 PM   #2769

Thor Owners Club
I learned early on not to make my decisions based on disgruntled owners on forums. Those who have no problems generally don't go on forums to report "No Problems." I think Mike is correct in that out of 600 units sold, if the problems we're hearing on this forum constitute only 25% of the problem units, then it's a pretty small percentage. And on this forum, the same people continue to post relentlessly about their disappointments. I figure I paid $10-15,000 less for my Palazzo than another unit with equivalent features, so I'll be prepared to spend a portion of that savings to correct flaws that present after the warranty expires. My guess is that most of us saved a lot of money NOT buying an Endeavor.

I do believe, however, that not all dealers are proficient in correcting these problems, and I'd certainly be willing to take mine to the factory if a dealer fix didn't work the first time.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:45 PM   #2770

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berlin Kid View Post
Positive thing. Checking and airing the rear duals isn't bad. The front tires on the other hand are a PITA. I took a length of vinyl tubing that snugly fits over the valve stem cap and inserted a section of dowel into the tubing making it rigid and gives me a handle. I can now use this to reach in and remove the valve cap and then reinstall it after checking the pressure. My fingers don't fit well into the opening. Have dropped the cap and had to remove the wheel cover to retrieve it.

I am filling the water tank and it is taking a long time. I listened while I turned the valve to the fill position and set it so I heard the most sound. There isn't a stop detention at the fill position. Can't believe how slow it is. Is this normal or am I doing it wrong?
My tank fill takes about the same time. I belive the filter is what makes it slow. If remember correctly, the filter is rated at 1 gpm, so about 90 min. to fill.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:53 PM   #2771

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPCruzer View Post
My tank fill takes about the same time. I belive the filter is what makes it slow. If remember correctly, the filter is rated at 1 gpm, so about 90 min. to fill.
I was going to post the same comment after I fill mine this week. I didn't know if the city fill goes thru the filter or not. I assume that it does.

I don't run any filters at all. I had dealer delete my filter before I took delivered. Just never have used them.

I ll probably fill mine tomorrow or Tuesday. I'll let you know but I will assure you mine don't take anything near an hour ?? But I'll let you know.

Russell
Old 01-12-2014, 01:20 PM   #2772

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebrls View Post
REPOST " I posted on other thread "

they sold over 600 palazzo's last year so there's always going to be a very small % that have big problem's doesn't matter what the brand is '
I guess I have one of the good one's because both my slide's work great , I took delivery of my August 2, 2013 and was probably built in june or july of 2013.

? someone had mentioned they do this " I can't even think about opening and closing the slide's 20 to 30 times a week , that rite there I think would be abuse

mike
All I can say is, When I first researched this forum for answers, "before" I signed the paperwork, I read those who said the 2014's were fixed. Now that I have a 2014 that has had all the slide out problems AND A WHOLE lot more issues, I have lost all confidence what so ever this thing will ever be right.
Closed Thread