Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-18-2014, 06:09 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palazzoblues View Post
Speaking of which... I need to hurry up and get my Palazzo back so I can wire the brake controller for my 2014 Jeep Wrangler toad. Who has any experience with how that is done on the Palazzo? We might want to start a new tread about this unless there is already one and I have missed it.
When I had my baseplate and wiring installed for my brake and charge wire for my car battery they did not need our coach because the 7 pin plug on the coach is standard. My brake came with the connecting wire and all I did was to plug it in to the coach and it worked.
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2014, 06:34 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmadams View Post
Though I would start a thread with those who will be attending the TDC Rally in April 2014 at Ocean Lakes Campground in Myrtle Beach. I am going to try and get our MHs all together at the rally. If you are going email me your name, address telephone number so I can get our spots. Once I call the campground with our group number, each of you will need to call the campground and make a deposit for the site. My email address is gmadams (at) triad dot rr dot com.

Here is the list of those attending:

gmadams - 33.1 Galleria
Butte64 - 33.1 Cinnamon Shore
tcopeland - 33.1 Galleria
SteelerFan22 - 33.1 Galleria
Luvrkds - 33.2 Galleria
RKNOLA - 33.2 Cinnamon Shore
TheArnolds - 33.1 Galleria
Greetings once again from Colorado, "The Mile High State". I forgot to indicate that you can add us to your Myrtle Beach TDC rally list. Our Palazzo is a 33.2 Cinnamon Shore. Look forward to meeting other Palazzo owners and friends from previous TDC rallies. Thanks!!! Ed Starck
ERStarck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 06:39 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERStarck View Post
Greetings once again from Colorado, "The Mile High State". I forgot to indicate that you can add us to your Myrtle Beach TDC rally list. Our Palazzo is a 33.2 Cinnamon Shore. Look forward to meeting other Palazzo owners and friends from previous TDC rallies. Thanks!!! Ed Starck
Ed,

We are in HH22 and Karen and I are looking forward to seeing the both of you again!

Safe travels and stay warm!

Jack
Old 01-18-2014, 08:05 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArnolds View Post
When I had my baseplate and wiring installed for my brake and charge wire for my car battery they did not need our coach because the 7 pin plug on the coach is standard. My brake came with the connecting wire and all I did was to plug it in to the coach and it worked.

Does the Palazzo come with an integrated brake controller or do I need to install one somewhere under the dash and connect it to a wire that goes back to the 7 way plug?
Palazzoblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 08:34 AM   #47

Quote:
Does the Palazzo come with an integrated brake controller or do I need to install one somewhere under the dash and connect it to a wire that goes back to the 7 way plug?
I do not know the answer to your question about the function of each pin in the connector but it got me to thinking so I went out a looked at my plug and discovered that my brake controller only uses 6 of the 7 pins and I have an adapter between the coach connection and the brake cable. It does not use the center pin on the coach connection.

On my breaking system I have a wireless remote control box in the RV that I can make adjustments and monitor the brake while traveling. My breaking system has proportional breaking therefore I do not need a separate manual control in the RV.

RVibrake2 Auxiliary Braking System

As you may know there are a lot of different breaking systems on the market, some harder to use then the one I purchased and some easier. The easier ones are a fixed installation under the hood which I did not want. I can set up my break in less then a minute and it is faster then the dolly I replaced it with.

Hope this info helps?
Old 01-18-2014, 09:32 AM   #48

Quote:
I do not know the answer to your question about the function of each pin in the connector but it got me to thinking so I went out a looked at my plug and discovered that my brake controller only uses 6 of the 7 pins and I have an adapter between the coach connection and the brake cable. It does not use the center pin on the coach connection. On my breaking system I have a wireless remote control box in the RV that I can make adjustments and monitor the brake while traveling. My breaking system has proportional breaking therefore I do not need a separate manual control in the RV. RVibrake2 Auxiliary Braking System As you may know there are a lot of different breaking systems on the market, some harder to use then the one I purchased and some easier. The easier ones are a fixed installation under the hood which I did not want. I can set up my break in less then a minute and it is faster then the dolly I replaced it with. Hope this info helps?
I am thinking about a surge brake type... Seems to be the least complicated from an install part. But I am still looking. Yes I am overwhelmed with all the options out there.
Road Master base plates
Palazzoblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 11:06 AM   #49

Quote:
The Palazzo does not come with an integrated brake controller.
User1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 11:38 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LT View Post
The Palazzo does not come with an integrated brake controller.
Thanks 2LT!
Old 01-19-2014, 04:27 AM   #51

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
I am thinking about a surge brake type... Seems to be the least complicated from an install part. But I am still looking. Yes I am overwhelmed with all the options out there.
I have the Blue Ox Patriot brake system that I will be using on the way to the TDC rally. It is a surge system with a remote control that gives status indication and ability to adjust settings. However, it takes time to install and remove. In retrospect I would rather have something that is faster and easier to put into action and remove.

There is an entire forum on iRV2 dedicated to TOADS and towing that can give you a lot more information.
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:45 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butte64 View Post
I have the Blue Ox Patriot brake system that I will be using on the way to the TDC rally. It is a surge system with a remote control that gives status indication and ability to adjust settings. However, it takes time to install and remove. In retrospect I would rather have something that is faster and easier to put into action and remove.

There is an entire forum on iRV2 dedicated to TOADS and towing that can give you a lot more information.
I would like to point out one thing about Freightliner and the use of air assist barking systems for your toad. Some systems have air assist that require tapping into the air system of the chassis. There is only one location that Freightliner approves to connect to the air system and that is the air manifold in the front of the coach. Some installers and private owners have tapped into non-approved places so they don't need to run tubing all the way to the front.

Be advised, if you connect to an unapproved location and you take your coach to Freightliner for service they will disable this unapproved location leaving you with no brakes for your toad.

This is a safety issue due to the way the chassis air system is designed that is why the air manifold is the only place that is approved for the connection of accessories, brakes, air horns, etc.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:13 AM   #53

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Quote:
I would like to point out one thing about Freightliner and the use of air assist barking systems for your toad. Some systems have air assist that require tapping into the air system of the chassis. There is only one location that Freightliner approves to connect to the air system and that is the air manifold in the front of the coach. Some installers and private owners have tapped into non-approved places so they don't need to run tubing all the way to the front. Be advised, if you connect to an unapproved location and you take your coach to Freightliner for service they will disable this unapproved location leaving you with no brakes for your toad. This is a safety issue due to the way the chassis air system is designed that is why the air manifold is the only place that is approved for the connection of accessories, brakes, air horns, etc.
This happened to a person while I was at CF. He was told it could void his warranty.
tcopeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:10 PM   #54

Freightliner pre-wired the Palazzo chassis for an electric brake controller. The electric brake controller is for use with electric brakes on a trailer, not a toad. The harness is under the dash and the kick panel must be removed to access the wiring. I installed an electric brake controller under the dash and connected to this harness. This is from my correspondence with Freightliner:
"The trailer brake wiring should be located under the dash to the
left side of the steering column. The harness is provided by Freightliner
and installed by the body builder. The connector you will be looking for is
a 6 pin, side by side connector. The wire colors and descriptions are
below.

Pin A is Wire 36G-- Red with a White Tracer- Brake Signal
Pin B is Wire 29A-- Brown color -- Illumination
Pin C is Wire 36T-- Red with a White Tracer- Trailer Brake Signal
Pin D is Wire 14T-- Solid Red--Auxillary Power
Pin E is Wire GND2-- Black-- Ground
Pin F is Wire 52J-- Pink-- Ignition Wire"

For a toad you will need a Brake Buddy or one of the many other aux braking systems.

Hope this helps.
Indianjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 06:03 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianjim View Post
Freightliner pre-wired the Palazzo chassis for an electric brake controller. The electric brake controller is for use with electric brakes on a trailer, not a toad. The harness is under the dash and the kick panel must be removed to access the wiring. I installed an electric brake controller under the dash and connected to this harness. This is from my correspondence with Freightliner:
"The trailer brake wiring should be located under the dash to the
left side of the steering column. The harness is provided by Freightliner
and installed by the body builder. The connector you will be looking for is
a 6 pin, side by side connector. The wire colors and descriptions are
below.

Pin A is Wire 36G-- Red with a White Tracer- Brake Signal
Pin B is Wire 29A-- Brown color -- Illumination
Pin C is Wire 36T-- Red with a White Tracer- Trailer Brake Signal
Pin D is Wire 14T-- Solid Red--Auxillary Power
Pin E is Wire GND2-- Black-- Ground
Pin F is Wire 52J-- Pink-- Ignition Wire"

For a toad you will need a Brake Buddy or one of the many other aux braking systems.

Hope this helps.
Great information, thanks Jim!
Old 01-21-2014, 06:32 PM   #56

Info on upcoming Myrtle Beach Rally

Received a call today from the Rally Master, Gene Turner to brief me on how the rally arrangements are coming along. Gene will be emailing me some details and when he does I will share with everyone. Gene did say that we expect the rally fee to be in the $100 per person range plus green fees for the golf outing and there will be an extra charge for anyone that attends a scheduled evening event.

Gene is not a golfer therefore he requested that I head this up. Gene is in discussions with a golf course to arrange some discounts and I will let you know when I have more information.
There is a Camping World nearby and we are talking to them to see about getting them to bring a coach or two for display.

There will be some seminars but I do not know the subjects at this time.
As many of you already know there are tons of activities in the Myrtle Beach area and there will be time in the schedule to do some things on your own.

As information become available I will let you know.

Tags
rally