RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:25 PM   #141

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArnolds View Post
I have said it before and I will say it again, I am sorry for your troubles! It is clear that you do not want our help nor our suggests, all you want to do is complain and try to conveinced others to chime in. I love my Palazzo and I know many on the forum feel the same way and are tired of reading your Thor, Palazzo bashing. Please deal with Thor and your dealership and leave us out of it because I am running out of sympathy for your problems!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArnolds
Sorry to report that Palazzoblues has moved on and no longer posts on iRV2. You may find him on some other forum?

I am looking at the Tuscany 36 MQ as an upgrade to my current MH so I have been looking for any major problems, slides included and I have not seen anything reported. I have not had any slide problems with my Palazzo but my model was discontinued and never really had the problems that Palazzo with longer/heavier slides had.

I have several friends who own the Tuscany and by in large they are happy. Good luck with your search!
Wow, where'd he go? His thread, and you hung around for 11 pages of it after asking to be 'left out of it'. LOL.

Oh well. Such is the interwebs.

I'm off the schwintek slides. Looks like Winnebago and about half the industry use them now as well. I'll wait a few years and see if something better comes along. The powergear slides I have are robust and work without issue, year after year.

Wifey and I sure liked that 36MQ for sure. Great layout. We looked at Journey, Forza, and Fleetwood Excursion(?) I think that's what it was. Do not like FW - mis-matched colors, cabinets were total junk. Forza is cheap crap and I hate the overhead bunks they put in these DP's. At least the Thor had a tile floor, even if one was cracked in one of their demo units. The winnebago Adventurer is higher quality that the low end DP's.

I think RV builders are trying to put too much into a unit for too cheap of a price and they're falling apart. My sis had a 42' Tour that was absolute junk. I'll bet it had those schwintek slides too.
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2014, 07:35 AM   #142

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJBROWN View Post
What's the status on your unit now?

I am researching Thor products after having looked at a Tuscany 36. I cannot imagine having to take a motorhome back to the factory - in this case it is 2500 miles from so-Cal to Elkhart....NOT EVER GONNA HAPPEN!

So are all these slide and end-cap leaking problems happening with just the Palazzo, or the other models too? I saw some photos of the slide mechanisms and was really surprised at how small the gear and teeth are.

We have a 2005 Winnebago that is and has pretty much been problem free, so a little gun shy on a new DP.
I think you would get a more accurate response about the Tuscany by posting your question on the overalll Thor forum since there may not be Tuscany owners in this Palazzo sub-forum.

As to taking it back to the factory, I have seen many Tiffin owners raving about how great it is that they can take it back to Red Bay and I have seen Newmar owners saying good things about taking it to service center. So going back to the factory is not unique to the Palazzo. Fortunately I don't have any plans or need to go to the factory and I totally understand your reluctance to do so.

Good luck.
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 07:48 AM   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJBROWN View Post
Wow, where'd he go? His thread, and you hung around for 11 pages of it after asking to be 'left out of it'. LOL.

Oh well. Such is the interwebs.

I'm off the schwintek slides. Looks like Winnebago and about half the industry use them now as well. I'll wait a few years and see if something better comes along. The powergear slides I have are robust and work without issue, year after year.

Wifey and I sure liked that 36MQ for sure. Great layout. We looked at Journey, Forza, and Fleetwood Excursion(?) I think that's what it was. Do not like FW - mis-matched colors, cabinets were total junk. Forza is cheap crap and I hate the overhead bunks they put in these DP's. At least the Thor had a tile floor, even if one was cracked in one of their demo units. The winnebago Adventurer is higher quality that the low end DP's.

I think RV builders are trying to put too much into a unit for too cheap of a price and they're falling apart. My sis had a 42' Tour that was absolute junk. I'll bet it had those schwintek slides too.
Palazzoblues, I and others have had some back and forth over his coach issues but it had nothing to do with his departure from this forum. Many of us had an opportunity to meet Palazzoblues and his family at the Thor Diesel Club rally in Myrtle Beach and discovered that he is a very nice guy but also very frustrated with his situation. We wish him all the best and we hope that he gets his problems sorted out and starts to enjoy his RV.

Schwintek slide systems have been used across the RV community for many years starting out on 5ers and travel trailers and moving on to motor homes. They work great as long as the slide is not too long and not a lot of weight sitting on them. My bedroom slide works great however I did make a mistake once on my larger slide and I left a heavy suitcase on the sofa and attempted to retract the slide. It bogged down on that end and started to come in crooked. I realized my error, stopped, removed the suitcase. I extended the slide and retracted again without any problems. Bottom line, weight had a negative effect on the operation of the slide.

Why there is so much difficulty with some slides on some Palazzo? I do not know because many others work without incident. It is human nature to rant if something isnít going right but if all is well they just get on with life. This is what we have with the Palazzo slide problem. I do not want to minimize the problem for those who are having slide issues but they represent a small population of the overall Palazzo community but they have a very loud voice on this forum. This gives a distorted impression of the overall slide problem.

Now about the quality of the workmanship of Thor products in general. Again we have the human in the equation with different levels of sensitivity. Some people will rant if they find a stray screw and others that just pick up the screw, throw it in the stray screw box, and move on without saying a word. I am in the latter category, I am a mechanical engineer, a licensed FAA Airframes and Powerplants Mechanic and I am accustomed to fixing things myself. Others are not so mechanically inclined so they will expect warranty to find out where that stray screw came from and reinstall. Problem is, I seldom find where the screw came from.

I have had nothing but great service from Thor and I would seriously consider Thor when I am in the market for another RV. This is my personal opinion that others may not agree but it is my opinion none the lessÖ
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 08:17 AM   #144

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank you Jack. I would expect an A&P could figure out the little issues. LOL.
I'm in the same boat, a doctorate in fix-it.

If a suitcase upsets the slide operation I'll pass. There are way too many threads and posts about the schwincrap product to brush it aside. Like I say, I'll wait 'till something better comes along, or buy prior to 2010-2011 when they started putting them in motorhomes. I can't believe all the manufacturers jumped on them all at the same time.

We noticed a lot of screws on the ground at the RV show where all the Tuscany's were lined up. Wifey mentioned it. And owner reports of stray screws around inside their units. That's not a good sign of craftsmanship.

Thanks again for the feedback. <thumbs up>
Old 06-24-2014, 08:51 AM   #145
RV8

Palazzo Problems

The Arnolds-

Your comments are always appreciated in this corner. Many thanks for them. Having now been fortunate enough to spend 141 nights in the Palazzo and driven it over 10,200 miles, in our year of ownership, we have to say that we are quite happy with our choice of MH. This is not to say that the year has been without problems. Some of our problems were with Thor manufacture and we took the unit to Elkhart where our entire list of issues was dealt with in a most satisfactory manner. Returning to the "mother ship" can be a great experience. Some of our issues were with Freightliner (including our scariest) and likewise they were handled most professionally. The ugliest problem was self-inflicted during a "discussion" with a ferry landing in New Brunswick and that fix was on my watch.

The bottom line as we read everywhere on the RV sites is that we are hauling these big hunks of complicated machinery down roads whose only mission is to destroy them. From our experience with 8 different RVs, even in the best of times our constant vigilance is our only protection. To that end, sharing problem solving here is a huge help. Negative comments are counterproductive unless they also provide some solutions to the issues at hand.

And now I will exit my soapbox. 😉
RV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:24 AM   #146

Palazzo Problems

My hope is that if someone has a negative issue they will report it. With or without a solution.

That way maybe I will have the opportunity to decide for myself as to rather to buy that unit or not.

Russell
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 10:26 AM   #147

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChallengerRN View Post
My hope is that if someone has a negative issue they will report it. With or without a solution.

That way maybe I will have the opportunity to decide for myself as to rather to buy that unit or not.

Russell

I agree Russell. I'd be in the dark otherwise, not knowing what to keep an eye out for. Sadly, not all of us are lucky enough to be engineers or have prior motorhome experience to know what to look for, much less, how to fix it.

While I like my Palazzo 36.1 and especially enjoy the gas mileage, I must admit I would probably look at different manufacturers next time around. I know what to look for now; knowledge, experience and insight I didn't have before. Much of it thanks to this forum and the great many who share openly - the good, the bad and the unresolved.
Gingerela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:15 PM   #148
RV8

Palazzo Problems

ChallengerRN-- yes please, report the issues but not in a negative way. "I am really anxious about my slide because it is making horrible grinding and popping noises when I retract it. I need advice" is a whole lot better for all concerned than " My slide is a POS because it makes grinding noises when I retract it and I will never buy a Thor product again." The second option does nothing but give the product a worse name,encourage additional rants and as you said from your experience the negative comments have done no good for your trade in value. So, report issues in a positive way without adding negative comments. Offer solutions if you know them.

Gingerela--Again, the comments on the site with issues that have good bad or unresolved solutions are incredibly helpful and have served us all well. Comments about our Breakdown on the way to Elkhart were encouraging and helpful--except for the ones who seemed to want to remind us about the worth of the decision we made in buying the MH. If only owners would remember that every negative comment by an owner has a negative impact on our dollar value.

Now as to the wealth of negative comments from owners of SOB's (FYI some other brand), unless they are accompanied by a suggestion for a solution to the problem being discussed I think all we can do is try to be sensible and ignore them.
RV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:21 PM   #149

RV8. A pig is a pig. Not sure why it should be reported as beautiful hummingbird until it is made to be that. But thanks for you school teacher advice. I can always use help.

Russell
Old 06-24-2014, 12:45 PM   #150

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV8 View Post
ChallengerRN-- yes please, report the issues but not in a negative way. "I am really anxious about my slide because it is making horrible grinding and popping noises when I retract it. I need advice" is a whole lot better for all concerned than " My slide is a POS because it makes grinding noises when I retract it and I will never buy a Thor product again." The second option does nothing but give the product a worse name,encourage additional rants and as you said from your experience the negative comments have done no good for your trade in value. So, report issues in a positive way without adding negative comments. Offer solutions if you know them.

Gingerela--Again, the comments on the site with issues that have good bad or unresolved solutions are incredibly helpful and have served us all well. Comments about our Breakdown on the way to Elkhart were encouraging and helpful--except for the ones who seemed to want to remind us about the worth of the decision we made in buying the MH. If only owners would remember that every negative comment by an owner has a negative impact on our dollar value.

Now as to the wealth of negative comments from owners of SOB's (FYI some other brand), unless they are accompanied by a suggestion for a solution to the problem being discussed I think all we can do is try to be sensible and ignore them.

If you are having issue with your slides be sure to read the thread with the videos and watch the videos.
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 04:25 PM   #151

Quote:

Well said RV8. I wish there were better descriptions of the various issues, and more importantly, more meaningful solutions.
streamcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 07:02 PM   #152
Moderator Emeritus

OK guys... there's obviously a lot of emotion surrounding this topic but let's keep our posts focused on the issues and not on other members.

Thanks for your help.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 08:38 PM   #153

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
If only owners would remember that every negative comment by an owner has a negative impact on our dollar value.
The problems thread is not where we worry about your particular resale value. Sorry!

Unless I can find some hard data that the schwintek slide mechanisms are gold, I wouldn't own one. And frankly I'm pleased that people that have had problems have reported them. That's the beauty of the internet.

I'm finally figuring out that my 10 year old RV has cost me an additional $500 a month in depreciation. The overall outlook for 'wheel-estate' is not that great.

It's an expensive hobby.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:44 PM   #154

Heck $500 per month great!! Based on what I got offered on trade last week mine had depreciated at $3100 per month. Lol

Russell

Tags
thor