Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-13-2014, 06:40 AM   #183

Thor Owners Club
Russell,

I am so excited for you. I wish you much happiness and peace of mind in your new coach. I must admit that I am extremely jealous! I wish I could do the same :(

Please stay in touch and let us know how you are doing with your new ride. Thank you for all your helpful posts and experiences with your Palazzo.

Best wishes to you,

Gingerela
Gingerela is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2014, 10:07 AM   #184

I have been reading this thread for a long time. Won't Thor bash, but will say this...everyone who has recommended staying on Thor is spot on. My own issues were mainly electrical, but were enough to make me trade in the motor home after one year. Darned shame too, because we loved the floor plan and many of the features. Moved on up now and happier for it, but my own journey included a period of 94 days in repair with phone calls moving up the chain of customer service at Thor ending in them paying the payments for the first three months I owned the coach. Stick to your guns and be patient. Unfortunately, my confidence was shaken so badly I could not stay with the coach. Hope everyone has better luck than I did.
Old 07-13-2014, 01:42 PM   #185

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChallengerRN View Post
Pmcsurf1--- well I have been one of the biggest outspoken ones on the large slide- If your talking about a bow where the middle at the bottom is out by one inch I think everyone is built like that. When I was at Elkhart getting mine fixed (well patched) I walked across the street and the three new ones going to paint were like that too.

Yesterday I met with a RV Repair facility. Spent some time there hoping to come up with a fix on the rails stripping out. (Mine is jumping a tooth about every other cycle). He believed that to completely redo system will be in the $15,000 range?? To add that third rail would be considerably cheaper.

Now will the third rail fix the problem???? That the 64,000 dollar question. It for sure will make it last longer between breaks.

When the gentleman reviewed mine the first thing he said was "man they are trying to move a lot of weight". Then I showed him the washer & dryer. Lol. He just shook his head.

OK NOW FOR THE BIG STORY FOR ME---

I have been looking to trade this Palazzo since last October!! Have looked several different Coaches-- ALWAYS they were killing me on my trade in value. Then the DW not like this or twice I just not like the drive!!

We were always looking at shorter DP and always new.

After leaving the repair facility I had prearranged to go see my dealer in Elkhart. I was in that area. They knew I would NEVER buy another Thor. They are a Thor dealer so we both decided not to talk Thor. I have bought 3 coaches there. They said they planed to make me happy and sell me a new coach. Happy?? I didn't see that.

Anyway I drove a Forest River 40' Berkshire. Freightliner, cummins, Allison. Just what I like about the Palazzo!! 360 HP. The DW liked the floor plan. Does not drive like a 40' coach. I've driven several. This Berkshire drives very close to the Palazzo. Now we both like it!! Up to the dealer!!

Story continued till tomorrow. ( just couldn't resist). Too long I know

Well my dealer Total Value R V flat stepped up to the plate. They are very aware of my issues. Even know that slide rails are stripped out now and made me a great deal on a 2014 Forest River 40' Berkshire and we BOUGHT it.

I think in my case yesterday all the stars just lined up. My dealer had purchased several of the Berkshire at a deal to him. They are 2014 models. 2015 are out. And the fact I knew that I might spend $15,000 to fix mine and then have a "modified unit". The wife & both finally really liking something ???

Anyway I didn't even bring the Palazzo home. Lol. They are switching satellite, washer, dryer & surge protector. Maybe go get new one mid-week.

Sorry that some of you will miss me ragging on Thor all the time but as to the previous post I think one has to keep the pressure on. That large slide is pushing way too much weight. I used mine a lot and it has been repaired 3 times and is for sure stripped out right now.

Just for information one should research as to what weight that system is designed for!!!! Then add a full refrigerator, some water in the washer, all our crap in the cabinets, a case or two of water under the dinette. Anyway-- very long post

I hope I enjoy the Berkshire and as always I did like the ride & drive of the Palazzo.

Russell
Hi Russell,
Congrats on the new coach! We had 2 Forest River products in the past and loved both of them! I think you will be thrilled with the new coach! (I can't wait to tell Blues your good news!!)
Rick and I are both really happy that we had the chance to meet you through IRV2 and I hope we can continue to stay friends long into the future! Owning a Palazzo so far has had its ups and downs, but meeting so many great RVers has made the journey a little easier to handle. Ironically, as of today 7/13/14 our 1 year warrenty period on the Palazzo is up! So I guess, Let the fun begin................ Wish us luck!!
Best Wishes,
Karen
RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 01:53 PM   #186

Palazzo Problems

Thanks to all of you. As to me leaving IRV2 Karen that not in my plans. (Maybe some moderator might throw me off lol) I read post all across the site and comment on them. My Palazzo has left the home station not me. Lol
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:22 PM   #187

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Tapping

It was a bright and windy day on I90 in SD when suddenly there came a tapping.
Well, more than a tapping. More like a metal on metal bang or clang which sounded like it was coming from right beside me. It was very intermittent and did not seem to be associated with the bumps and heaves in the road. It almost sounded like something hitting the side of the coach.

Three times I looked around and could not find anything amiss either inside, outside, or underneath. I have over 8K miles and this is the first I have heard this noise. With the rough roads I have been on the past few days it does not surprise me that something might be loose.

Of course I worried that something with the slide hardware might be loose but when I stopped and set up, the slide worked normally, not even any odd noise.

The only other clue is that it seemed to occur more frequently when I was being passed by a truck than any other time. Could it be something to do with the slide topper? Any other ideas of what to check?
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 05:43 AM   #188

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butte64 View Post
Well, more than a tapping. More like a metal on metal bang or clang which sounded like it was coming from right beside me. It was very intermittent and did not seem to be associated with the bumps and heaves in the road. It almost sounded like something hitting the side of the coach.

Three times I looked around and could not find anything amiss either inside, outside, or underneath. I have over 8K miles and this is the first I have heard this noise. With the rough roads I have been on the past few days it does not surprise me that something might be loose.

Of course I worried that something with the slide hardware might be loose but when I stopped and set up, the slide worked normally, not even any odd noise.

The only other clue is that it seemed to occur more frequently when I was being passed by a truck than any other time. Could it be something to do with the slide topper? Any other ideas of what to check?
Jerry,

About a year ago I heard this tapping sound and Karen notice in her rear view mirror something flapping near the entry door. I stopped and discovered a small piece of trim that hides the screws on the outside edge of your entry door. It looks like a half round piece of trim that tucks into the channel where the screws secure the door frame. I tucked it back in but it came out again a couple of months later. This time I had more time and I used some clear silicone sealant to secure it in place.

Hope this is your problem, easy fix!

Jack
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 05:57 AM   #189

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butte64 View Post

I wonder if your slide topper is unfolding due to wind gust. I had mine due that several times on a trip near Casper. I could lean way down an see it open in my mirror. It would unroll and flap then roll itself back up until another big gust of wind came alone.

Russell
Old 07-14-2014, 06:37 AM   #190

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArnolds View Post
Jerry,

About a year ago I heard this tapping sound and Karen notice in her rear view mirror something flapping near the entry door. I stopped and discovered a small piece of trim that hides the screws on the outside edge of your entry door. It looks like a half round piece of trim that tucks into the channel where the screws secure the door frame. I tucked it back in but it came out again a couple of months later. This time I had more time and I used some clear silicone sealant to secure it in place.

Hope this is your problem, easy fix!

Jack

Thanks Jack, I will check that as a preventive measure but my noise is definitely on the driver side.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:13 AM   #191

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChallengerRN View Post
I wonder if your slide topper is unfolding due to wind gust. I had mine due that several times on a trip near Casper. I could lean way down an see it open in my mirror. It would unroll and flap then roll itself back up until another big gust of wind came alone.

Russell

Did you find a way to tighten the topper?
Old 07-14-2014, 08:04 AM   #192

No I was in 60 + cross winds and needed to get to Cody before the start of the rodeo or I would never been driving in that junk anyway. I've never been in wind like that before. It has never done that in normal weather so I never worried about it.

Russell
Old 07-14-2014, 08:06 AM   #193

Palazzo Problems

They did tighten mine once at the factory-- not sure if that was before or after that trip?? I don't have my log book here. It's in RV and RV not home

Russell
Old 07-14-2014, 08:20 PM   #194

I have always thought Forest River was a Thor cousin. If you look at the Legacy model, it is an exact copy of the 33.3. ?

2013 Palazzo 33.3
HVAC Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 06:30 PM   #195

Just providing an update after 1 year of ownership.

Last week, big noise from the heater. The plastic fan disintegrated completely. Ordered a replacement ($18) and installed. The heater fan was not tight enough that it would move and touch the flow switch. Remedied that and all is good.

The rear air conditioner fan brackets all broke and the fan was loose. Have to get that replaced (warranty).

The awning adjustment button is gone on the rear arm. Not sure how that occurred. Working on a repair for that (warranty).

I had a couple more over torqued screws heads snap off. Rear ladder lost two so I drilled and replaced.

The good news is that the big slide is working fine. Never had an issue but with all the negative reports, opening and closing the big slide is never without some anxiety. It has been cycled about 100 times, now, and no signs of odd wear. On this front, I wonder about how level the auto leveler really is. I angle it slightly left for going out and then angle it slightly right for bringing it back in.

As an observation, why would they choose a DVD/TV combo that has the DVD on the right side for the top bunk when it mounts close to the right side. You have to remove it to load a DVD. Odd choice.

Overall, we have enjoyed the RV with minimal issues (problems that I cold remedy on my own). Only the current air conditioner item is the sole stand out for a visit to service.
HeavyH2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 08:12 PM   #196

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVAC Bill View Post
I have always thought Forest River was a Thor cousin. If you look at the Legacy model, it is an exact copy of the 33.3. ?

2013 Palazzo 33.3
Not an exact copy, the Legacy is a little of 2 feet longer and heavier with some different features. Floor plans are the same just some added space.
psw757 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thor