RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-22-2014, 06:58 AM   #211

Palazzo Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by psw757 View Post
As an owner of a Legacy and did look at the Palazzo and Berkshire I will offer a comparison from my perspective, all fine coaches IMHO but all the Palazzo issues did influence my decision. Our Legacy hasn't had any of these issues and a couple other Legacy owners I have met are happy as well, Berkshire owners happy as well.

I think a lot of these issues arise from how the items are assembled by the mfgs and the tolerances for the slide aren't being met when built by Thor, again just my opinion.

Some of the differences are the following,

the Legacy is a tad bigger and 36'6" vs palazzo 34.5

Legacy gvw is 28k and 33k gcwr vs palazzo 26k gvw and 30k GDR

Legacy Allison my-2500 tranny vs palazzo my-2100

Legacy fiberglass roof vs palazzo rubber - big plus imho

Legacy drop down bunk has real mattress vs palazzo inflates

Legacy jack knife sofa doesn't require inflatable like palazzo

Legacy more exterior storage from and cuft perspective

Same inverter std 2000 watt

Refer from what I can tell is the same

Individually laid tile in Legacy vs linoleum in Palazzo

Nice hid headlights on legacy

Air horns std on Legacy

Legacy comes std with in dash nav on the 2015

These are the major items that I can think of of the top of my head, for whoever is getting the Berkshire congrats on a great coach!

E Check out forest river forums they have a dedicated Berkshire forum with lots of great people and info.

Good luck!

Thanks 757

I got the Berkshire & traded in the 33.2 Palazzo.

I considered having the slide on the palazzo completely redone. The company that would have rebuilt it said the same as you. This large slide had to be built with exact tolerances. Thus could be why some Palazzo's have issues and some don't.

Russell
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2014, 08:51 PM   #212

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChallengerRN View Post
There is no Schwintek system on the Berkshire!!! Motor & transmission different too. Both bigger Motor & tyranny in legancy could be same as Palazzo. IDK Russell
The Legacy was the one I made the comparison, and it is on the exact same freightliner chassis and drive train. Honestly if you took all the badging off, you couldn't tell the difference.

2013 Palazzo 33.3
HVAC Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 06:26 AM   #213

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVAC Bill View Post
The Legacy was the one I made the comparison, and it is on the exact same freightliner chassis and drive train. Honestly if you took all the badging off, you couldn't tell the difference.

2013 Palazzo 33.3
One would have to have very poor eyes and no attention to detail to not notice a difference and there are several coaches that use same exact chassis and engine, just saying.
psw757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 08:42 AM   #214

After driving all day yesterday in the rain DW noticed water running from under the big slide. I looked high and low but didn't find the source. The gear rails were very wet though.

Another item for the factory visit.
SS573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 06:41 PM   #215

I think you will find that with enough rain, water will penetrate the seals around the slide, no matter how tight the seals are, and then will find the horizontal rail into the rv. I have a comparable problem with my current rig that I've been able to control, and a similar problem with a previous trailer that had a cable drive slide. Water really only entered when a significant amount of rain fell.
streamcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 10:28 PM   #216

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The tapping sound I heard on the driver side while driving in windy area ended up much worse today. When I was at Tahoe I looked at the slide topper and it appeared tight. I should have done more. Driving across the Nevada desert (redundant?) on Hwy 50, The Loneliest Road in the World, in the truly middle of nowhere, there was a banging and worse. Not only was the slide topper pulled down, it was broken off the rear end.

I had to drive several miles before I found a ranch turnout big enough to park. Of course it was in an area with no cell service. I ended up having to unscrew the front attachment then cut off the topper. I put the mechanism through the passenger window so I can take it home. Don't know if it needs to be totally replaced or if they can put in another topper and replace the broken end piece.

Lessons learned:
- tighten the topper and if driving in really windy areas figure out a way to secure it so it cannot unravel.
- Carry Torx bits. I have a good selection of tools and thought I had all I needed but must have left the Torx bits at home.
- Carry a ladder tall enough to be able to reach the roof. My ladder is convenient but I could barely reach the slide topper mechanism.
- Somewhat unrelated to this incident is that I do not recommend Hwy 50 East of Fallon. Several passes over 7000 ft, lots of switchbacks, lots of opportunity to use the exhaust brake.

The only possibly good thing to come out of this is that the delay may have kept me from being involved in a very serious accident in the mountains that closed the highway for about an hour. They had to bring in a Medevac helicopter.

By the way, the KOA in Ely, NV is much nicer than expected. Totally different than the KOA in South Lake Tahoe which is much too cramped and expensive. Of course Tahoe is a prime location so they can charge what the traffic will bear.
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 05:36 AM   #217

They also have caps & covers for the toppers

Russell
Old 07-27-2014, 10:10 AM   #218

I had to tighten the spring return to help prevent that from happening to me (helps but no cure). Unfortunately unlike the power awning, there are no mechanical means to keep it retracted in windy conditions. Need some sort of locking device while in motion. Anyone come up with one yet?

2013 Palazzo 33.3
Old 07-27-2014, 10:36 AM   #219

Palazzo Problems

I'll try and attach a picture of a awning cap that I was talking about. Seem to me if you keep the air off the end of topper it can't blow open. I sure they make caps for the Palazzo toppers.

RussellClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1406475395.955465.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	530.2 KB
ID:	69148
Old 07-27-2014, 10:38 AM   #220

There's an arm on the roller that is supposed to keep the topper from unrolling if it's adjusted properly. When the slide is fully retracted, the arm should be a few inches from the sidewall.

At least that's what I was told sometime back

2015 Thor Palazzo

'97 Ford Ranger Toad until I can get something new.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:39 AM   #221

Just saw your picture. Is that the awning??

2015 Thor Palazzo

Old 07-27-2014, 10:43 AM   #222

That's the front of my awning with the slide out. That is not on a palazzo tho.

Russell
Old 07-27-2014, 10:45 AM   #223

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChallengerRN View Post
I'll try and attach a picture of a awning cap that I was talking about. Seem to me if you keep the air off the end of topper it can't blow open. I sure they make caps for the Palazzo toppers. Russell
Mine seems to have the same end caps(hard to see from photo). But even with the ends covered, the wind can still pull it away from the coach. My assumption is like all the other problems, a lower grade unit was most likely used. Perhaps I could use one off of a Legacy coach? Or see how they keep this from happening and retrofit it.

2013 Palazzo 33.3
Old 07-27-2014, 01:24 PM   #224

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS573 View Post
There's an arm on the roller that is supposed to keep the topper from unrolling if it's adjusted properly. When the slide is fully retracted, the arm should be a few inches from the sidewall.

At least that's what I was told sometime back

2015 Thor Palazzo

This is correct if it is a Dometic. Mine has an arm on the forward end of the awning tube that will prevent the awning from unfurling while in the closed position.
streamcamper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thor