RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-27-2014, 11:30 PM   #225

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
My slide topper says it is a Carefree, but it did not turn out to be that way.

I think the awning is much more secure.
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2014, 03:40 PM   #226

I'm very glad I did some research. Last Friday I put a deposit on a 2015 36.1. I just had my deposit switched to another brand.
rodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 05:28 PM   #227

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodz View Post
I'm very glad I did some research. Last Friday I put a deposit on a 2015 36.1. I just had my deposit switched to another brand.

What did you decide on?
Old 07-29-2014, 03:57 AM   #228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butte64 View Post
What did you decide on?
I bought a 2015 Newmar Canyon Star 3610. My last two were diesel. Monaco Knight and a Winnebago Journey. I was hesitant to go back to a gasser but this thing is amazing. 22.5 aluminum wheels, 24,000 lb chassis, quiet, handles and looks like a DP. Gassers aren't what that the used to be. I've had a few motor homes in the last 40 yrs and I've never seen quality like this. Very impressed.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:11 AM   #229

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
I bought a 2015 Newmar Canyon Star 3610. My last two were diesel. Monaco Knight and a Winnebago Journey. I was hesitant to go back to a gasser but this thing is amazing. 22.5 aluminum wheels, 24,000 lb chassis, quiet, handles and looks like a DP. Gassers aren't what that the used to be. I've had a few motor homes in the last 40 yrs and I've never seen quality like this. Very impressed.
Yeah, we fell in love with the 3921 with the garage for a shop for me. Have not driven one yet, but Newmar builds a nice coach and not nearly the complaints of failures with this brand.

Anything with a schwintek slide mechanism has been crossed off our list, so that's Winnebago, Thor, HR/Monaco, and whomever else use them.

I wrote newmar customer service to ask about their slide mechanism and got a reply back that they were their own patented design.
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 10:08 PM   #230

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:

Best wishes. Have they changed placement of gas fill? I have a friend who has a Canyon Star and is anxious to move to a DP. Gas fill on back end makes it difficult and has had several major problems. Driving in windy conditions very tiresome.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:20 AM   #231

Our Palazzo 2013 33.2 is still in the shop again. It has been there for 2 months for another slide repair/replacement. This is the 2nd full replacement and 6th repair. Not to mention all the other issues and repeat issues.

If we could afford to get rid of it, we would. I don't know what it is like to take a trip without major issues.

Is there really a light at the end of the tunnel. I am beginning to wonder.
Woodburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 08:28 AM   #232

It's hard to fix CHEAP. I gave up and traded. Would of sure been nice if Thor would of charged a bit more & gave a little more quality. They would of still been one of the least expensive DP 's

Russell

Russell
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:29 AM   #233

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butte64 View Post
Best wishes. Have they changed placement of gas fill? I have a friend who has a Canyon Star and is anxious to move to a DP. Gas fill on back end makes it difficult and has had several major problems. Driving in windy conditions very tiresome.
The fuel fill is just behind the rear axle. I see that as a plus. My Journey was at the front and when getting fuel I had to leave most of the coach hanging out in the drive blocking other traffic. I don't know what chassis your friend has. The shorter earlier units had 19.5 wheels and a completely different chassis than mine. I have the 24,000 lb chassis and the only difference between it and the 26,000 lb is the rear springs have a 2,000 lb increase in load. I don't pull a trailer so that isn't a concern and might be a little better in the ride. I've talked to several Canyon Star owners and I'm just not hearing anything about major problems and very few issues with minor repairs.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:49 PM   #234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodburn View Post
Our Palazzo 2013 33.2 is still in the shop again. It has been there for 2 months for another slide repair/replacement. This is the 2nd full replacement and 6th repair. Not to mention all the other issues and repeat issues.

If we could afford to get rid of it, we would. I don't know what it is like to take a trip without major issues.

Is there really a light at the end of the tunnel. I am beginning to wonder.
Did you take it to Elkhart? IMO, its the place to go to if you want it fixed properly and promptly....
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 07:15 AM   #235

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVAC Bill View Post
Mine seems to have the same end caps(hard to see from photo). But even with the ends covered, the wind can still pull it away from the coach. My assumption is like all the other problems, a lower grade unit was most likely used. Perhaps I could use one off of a Legacy coach? Or see how they keep this from happening and retrofit it.

2013 Palazzo 33.3
The part on the Legacy is made by carefree and is called the sokIII for the small slide and a sokIII xl for the big slide and this would probably solve your problems as it is an aluminum cover that basically encloses the entire roller.
psw757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 07:28 AM   #236

No we haven't taken it back to the factory. Driving up there is not in our budget at this time. But think about it, why should I have to pay $1300+ in gas and expenses for them to fix it by the same people that couldn't build it correct in the first place. The factory is not just around the corner.

If it goes out again, which I suspect it will, I will ask them to come and get it and fix it.

I am just very frustrated with this coach. As I have said before, it has been in the shop for over 6 months and that doesn't include the time it didn't work while we were on a trip or waiting for an appointment.
Woodburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 08:04 AM   #237

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Add insult to injury....there's the banner ad at the bottom of the thread window for THOR - "North America's #1 Motorhome Manufacturer".

Egads...at least IRV2 or somebody is making money off this. <shrug>
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 09:30 AM   #238

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodburn View Post
No we haven't taken it back to the factory. Driving up there is not in our budget at this time. But think about it, why should I have to pay $1300+ in gas and expenses for them to fix it by the same people that couldn't build it correct in the first place. The factory is not just around the corner.

If it goes out again, which I suspect it will, I will ask them to come and get it and fix it.

I am just very frustrated with this coach. As I have said before, it has been in the shop for over 6 months and that doesn't include the time it didn't work while we were on a trip or waiting for an appointment.
I understand... but that six months plus could of been taken care of in 2 weeks if you just take it to the manufacturer. Dealers are just not in it to fix your MH, they will give you the runaround, use your MH as hostage and take Thors money while you scream and yell.... IMO, bite the bullet and take it to Thor.
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thor