RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-31-2014, 12:31 PM   #239

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodburn View Post
No we haven't taken it back to the factory. Driving up there is not in our budget at this time. But think about it, why should I have to pay $1300+ in gas and expenses for them to fix it by the same people that couldn't build it correct in the first place. The factory is not just around the corner.

If it goes out again, which I suspect it will, I will ask them to come and get it and fix it.

I am just very frustrated with this coach. As I have said before, it has been in the shop for over 6 months and that doesn't include the time it didn't work while we were on a trip or waiting for an appointment.
The folks at the factory repair are not the ones building it.. (thank goodness)..

Several others on the forum have had Thor send a driver to pick it up and bring it in for repairs and drop it back off to them after completion of repairs. Call Thor directly and they will work with you. Or if you want to drive it negotiate in the cost of fuel to be reimbursed by Thor. I think I read that by someone also.
wstrace3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2014, 03:29 PM   #240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodburn View Post
No we haven't taken it back to the factory. Driving up there is not in our budget at this time. But think about it, why should I have to pay $1300+ in gas and expenses for them to fix it by the same people that couldn't build it correct in the first place. The factory is not just around the corner.

If it goes out again, which I suspect it will, I will ask them to come and get it and fix it.

I am just very frustrated with this coach. As I have said before, it has been in the shop for over 6 months and that doesn't include the time it didn't work while we were on a trip or waiting for an appointment.

Thor sent a driver to our house and picked up ours to bring it to the factory. We ended up with 2200 extra miles on the coach, but we were desperate to just get our coach useable again!! That repair was after a dealer "fixed" it. LOL!!! The only thing the dealership did was cause more damage!!!
I know exactly what you mean by "if we could afford to trade it in". We have recieved trade in values of 50K depreciation!! Not to mention dealerships don't want to take a Palazzo in trade. And, NO the depreciation is NOT due to Palazzo Owners posting problems online. The RV industry does their homework, they aren't stupid.
We still like our coach, we just don't like the problems. I don't like having to incorporate "what if the slide breaks" into all of our travel plans!
RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 04:30 PM   #241

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
When they came and picked it up and took it to the factory did they fix all of the problems?
Golfer503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 01:35 PM   #242

Quote:
Originally Posted by psw757 View Post
The part on the Legacy is made by carefree and is called the sokIII for the small slide and a sokIII xl for the big slide and this would probably solve your problems as it is an aluminum cover that basically encloses the entire roller.
Thanks, will look up and see if I can add to my set up.

2013 Palazzo 33.3
HVAC Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 01:42 PM   #243

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJBROWN View Post
Add insult to injury....there's the banner ad at the bottom of the thread window for THOR - "North America's #1 Motorhome Manufacturer". Egads...at least IRV2 or somebody is making money off this. <shrug>
Yes, but just like a lot of Chevy owners that went thru all the latest recalls. Most people think they are the only one that got the defective car. When you compare to the number made versus the bad apples, most manufacturers accept these numbers we feel are too high. I completely agree with all the cries for better quality control.

2013 Palazzo 33.3
HVAC Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 03:03 PM   #244

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfer503 View Post
When they came and picked it up and took it to the factory did they fix all of the problems?
Yes, they fixed the slide and also fixed a couple of things on the coach that we didn't even know were broken! They took very good care of our coach at the factory.
Old 08-02-2014, 03:30 PM   #245

Thor Owners Club
Getting the coach ready for a trip out West. Since I've owned it for a year, figured I should change the water filter and discovered that a filter element had never been installed. All this time I thought that the new, sealed filter element that was in the lower tip out drawer was a spare.
Berlin Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 09:22 PM   #246

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berlin Kid View Post
Getting the coach ready for a trip out West. Since I've owned it for a year, figured I should change the water filter and discovered that a filter element had never been installed. All this time I thought that the new, sealed filter element that was in the lower tip out drawer was a spare.
Yep..thought the same until a conversation with don voyage in myrtle beach. Got back home and made mistake number 2 and tried to change it at a campground and found out there was no O ring in the housing. Of course it never leaked until after I opened it and put a filter in it. Home depot actually sells the o rings and it never leaked again.
wstrace3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 09:52 PM   #247

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wstrace3 View Post
Yep..thought the same until a conversation with don voyage in myrtle beach. Got back home and made mistake number 2 and tried to change it at a campground and found out there was no O ring in the housing. Of course it never leaked until after I opened it and put a filter in it. Home depot actually sells the o rings and it never leaked again.
Thankfully there was an O ring. Used silicone grease on it and the rubber seals on the element. Darn housing is a PITA to get off an on due to the lack of space and piping. Now I know
Old 08-02-2014, 10:31 PM   #248

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berlin Kid View Post
Thankfully there was an O ring. Used silicone grease on it and the rubber seals on the element. Darn housing is a PITA to get off an on due to the lack of space and piping. Now I know

I remove the assembly to change the element. Easier!
The elements are sold at Lowes as an FYI.
tcopeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 09:03 AM   #249

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcopeland View Post
I remove the assembly to change the element. Easier!
The elements are sold at Lowes as an FYI.

Thanks Tom.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:39 PM   #250

Update : as some know I gave up on my Palazzo and traded it off-- before doing so I considered having the large slide fixed myself instead of Thor patching it again. The two companies I talked too figured that it could be done but expensive.

Well before all that I sent an e-mail to Thor. (June 4, 2014). I suggested in the E-mail that I was willing to pay them for a proper fix not another patch. I even suggested maybe they could put the 3 rail on my 2013 coach and I'd pay for it.

So I hear nothing!! My dealer made me an attractive deal on another Brand coach. (Dealer was very aware I'd never have another Thor)
So I traded--

NOW on 8-1-14 I get an e-mail from the guy at Thor I sent the e-mail to on 6-4-14. Says my e-mail got lost in his "junk" mail. Now to me that was funny stuff!! I get a junk large slide now my E-mail junk!! LMAO

BUT the response was this-- every slide has different issues. So we have look at yours to see what it needs. SERIOUSLY build on an assembly line and all different. ?? Also he says that the new box is designed to balance different thus the triple rail works on the new model but not not the older one.

The interesting part was that if I brought it to factory they would reimburse my expense or they would send a transport driver to picked it up and return it. That part was a fair deal and something for the rest of you to keep in mind.

Russell
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 08:36 PM   #251

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChallengerRN View Post
Update : as some know I gave up on my Palazzo and traded it off-- before doing so I considered having the large slide fixed myself instead of Thor patching it again. The two companies I talked too figured that it could be done but expensive.

Well before all that I sent an e-mail to Thor. (June 4, 2014). I suggested in the E-mail that I was willing to pay them for a proper fix not another patch. I even suggested maybe they could put the 3 rail on my 2013 coach and I'd pay for it.

So I hear nothing!! My dealer made me an attractive deal on another Brand coach. (Dealer was very aware I'd never have another Thor)
So I traded--

NOW on 8-1-14 I get an e-mail from the guy at Thor I sent the e-mail to on 6-4-14. Says my e-mail got lost in his "junk" mail. Now to me that was funny stuff!! I get a junk large slide now my E-mail junk!! LMAO

BUT the response was this-- every slide has different issues. So we have look at yours to see what it needs. SERIOUSLY build on an assembly line and all different. ?? Also he says that the new box is designed to balance different thus the triple rail works on the new model but not not the older one.

The interesting part was that if I brought it to factory they would reimburse my expense or they would send a transport driver to picked it up and return it. That part was a fair deal and something for the rest of you to keep in mind.

Russell

Hi Russell,
I have to say that was in really poor taste by the guy at Thor to say your email "went into the junk file". He probably should have kept that information to himself!
Unfortunately, I don't think Thor has any plans to update the 2013 or 2014 models with 3rd rail systems. At least that is what we were told at the TDC rally in Myrtle Beach this past April. We will inquire again at the Goshen rally in October, but so far I don't think Thor plans to retrofit, just repair. Hopefully being out of warrenty won't affect those repairs!
I am glad you were able to trade for a new coach. I hope the road will be smooth from now on!!
Karen
Old 08-03-2014, 09:54 PM   #252

Russell,

Thanks for sticking around and telling us your experiences... can't wait to see the new rig.
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thor