RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-21-2013, 11:21 AM   #71

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butte64 View Post

Interesting comment since I thought the Phaeton is supposedly sp great and costs more than twice a Palazzo. The Allegro Bus looks like more than three times as much so I certainly hope there would be no problems but I expect the excellent comments by "OutAround" are spot on.
I'm sorry for those who are having problems and am keeping my fingers crossed with my Palazzo. It is all I could afford and never expected what I would expect by paying 2 or 3 times as much. Best wishes to those who can.

I hope we can get back to sharing useful information and helping each other.
Yeah, I didn't expect to get challenged for trying to relate a personal experience. Believe me when I say I wish my Hurricane was problem free.

2014 Allegro 36LA
tanstaafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2013, 11:26 AM   #72

The biggest difference between a lower cost Class A and a higher end Class A are how many "toys" come standard from the factory.....none of which you can't add yourself if its a must have.

The quality of the furniture, carpets and flooring.

More horsepower. However, the more horsepower doesn't practically mean more reliability or a longer life'd coached. (The lighter duty diesel will outlive any RV house or chassis exponentially so technically yes maybe a higher dollar engine would last more miles but your comparing say 500,000 miles on an ISB to 850,000 or a million miles on say an ISX before overhaul at the earliest. Lots of diesels hit 1.5 to 2.0 miles before overhaul. The frame of the coach literally can't go as far as even the lightest duty diesel can take you)

The same people building the entry level Tiffin gassers are building the Allegro bus side by side grabbing parts out of the same bins. (Just an example. Insert fav brand here.......) The same poor wiring that wouldn't come close to meeting any building codes or the National Electric Code, the same poor and sloppy plumbing that wouldn't meet code for a mobil home, the same poor structural components that wouldn't meet code...ect ect ect. You find all of the same deficiencies in a $75,000 gasser as a $350,000 tandem.

The chassis and house build would never even begin to come close to passing any motor vehicle crash tests...not even the 5mph impact tests. Coaches in general but especially class As are rolling death traps driven occasionally by conscientious safety minded folks mainly on highways which accounts for the low accident rate.

There are practically no standards for RVs at all and even the nicest RVs wouldn't come close to passing any kind of standards applied to housing or passenger vehicles.

RVs are the wild Wild West of products and buyer beware...and aware applies to the highest level.
OutAround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 11:39 AM   #73

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutAround View Post
The biggest difference between a lower cost Class A and a higher end Class A are how many "toys" come standard from the factory.....none of which you can't add yourself if its a must have.
Again, this isn't quite accurate. Thor tends to add more bells and whistles for the price than other manufacturers. That is part of what sucked me in to buying the Hurricane.

2014 Allegro 36LA
Old 12-21-2013, 11:51 AM   #74

Your Hurricane is a great coach and after the bugs are worked out will provide you with years of enjoyment.

I know its frustrating but all the little issues can be fixed.
OutAround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 11:58 AM   #75

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutAround View Post
Your Hurricane is a great coach and after the bugs are worked out will provide you with years of enjoyment.

I know its frustrating but all the little issues can be fixed.
It isn't a great coach. I'm trading it in on a different coach at the end of this month. All of the minor issues I've fixed myself. It's all of the major issues I have encountered that have soured me on Thor.

2014 Allegro 36LA
Old 12-21-2013, 05:23 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanstaafl View Post
It isn't a great coach. I'm trading it in on a different coach at the end of this month. All of the minor issues I've fixed myself. It's all of the major issues I have encountered that have soured me on Thor.
Sometimes it is the luck of the draw, I had 2012 32A Hurricane before my Palazzo, it was perfect, not one trip back to the dealer. So it is hard to generalize on a specific model or manufacturer.

Bill
OC Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 05:35 PM   #77

Beware of Palazzos

There's an old saying, you have one chance to make it right and you have one chance to make it wrong. I have gave Thor more chances than I want to remember to make it right. I know half a million dollar motor homes have problems too. I don't know how those folks deal with one that has had as many problems as we've experienced. I really don't care. Palazzo's are not exactly cheap motor homes by any stretch of the imagination either. We are talking about a 6 figure deal here. What I thought I was getting was a quality motor home. That did not happen.

I made Thor Motor Coach aware of a serious leak I have had on our second Palazzo. 4 weeks later I am still waiting on Thor to fix this problem. I have requested that Thor fix this and not a dealer given the gravity of the situation. I went to Elkhart to pick up a replacement Palazzo after a horrible experience with our first one where the huge slide out failed not one week after ownership. These Palazzo problems have proliferated themselves for the entire time I have owned the Palazzo.

You would think that after the first fiasco, Thor would have done everything in their power to make it right a second time. I know there is no perfect motor home. However, I wrote this message waiting on yet another major problem to be fixed. What is next is my only question?
Road Master base plates
Palazzoblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 06:30 PM   #78

Maybe a Newmar??? Just saying !!Make that barn a bit longer. You still have time.

Russell
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 06:47 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChallengerRN View Post
Maybe a Newmar??? Just saying !!Make that barn a bit longer. You still have time.

Russell
We'd love to. We tried to get Camping World and Thor to buy back the Palazzo twice. That was not going to happen. I am not going to take a loss on a trade right now. I am stuck with what I got. We tried to get out of it. They did not want to let us go. Just think about all the beautiful silence there would have been on this Palazzo forum without me.
Road Master base plates
Old 04-14-2014, 06:58 PM   #80

Lol. We put a deal together on a new 2013 Monaco when we were at the Quartzsite show. Deal money wise was a good deal. Deal was subject to me getting to put a few miles on it and for us liking the drive. I put 25 mile or so on it but just didn't like the bigger feeling drive. Was really nice coach. Little glitzy for us but we would of got use to that I guess. I chose not to do the deal but I continue to look at new models. I take my loss one day and move on.

Russell
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 05:32 AM   #81

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palazzoblues View Post
We'd love to. We tried to get Camping World and Thor to buy back the Palazzo twice. That was not going to happen. I am not going to take a loss on a trade right now. I am stuck with what I got. We tried to get out of it. They did not want to let us go. Just think about all the beautiful silence there would have been on this Palazzo forum without me.
Hey are the guy named Harvey Hill who made those you-tube videos 1-5 titled Dont' buy a Thor Palazzo? Good info but some of the video's need editing!
Don Voyage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 06:21 AM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Voyage View Post
Hey are the guy named Harvey Hill who made those you-tube videos 1-5 titled Dont' buy a Thor Palazzo? Good info but some of the video's need editing!
No, I am not that person. After the Schwintek slide out failed on my first Palazzo, I found his video's. I wish I would have seen them before. Talk about adding insult to injury. I messaged him on youtube recently and asked him how things were going. He finally traded the Palazzo on a Newmar. He said he is having fun now. He told me to do the same thing. Oh how I wish I could. I would even be willing to go down to a gaser in a Newmar.
Road Master base plates
Old 04-15-2014, 06:37 AM   #83

Leaking

It is raining like crazy this morning and the Palazzo is leaking. This thing has leaked every since I got it. I just know we will have a problem with mold. How's that for a brand new RV? Thor knows about this and they are supposed to send a tech to fix it. I guess I will just have to wait until they can get someone out here.
Road Master base plates
Old 04-15-2014, 06:38 AM   #84

Thor Owners Club
What is happening with your leak issue? Are they (CW and Thor) not responding to you?
Gingerela is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thor