RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:44 AM   #99

Blues,

Mold needs two things to grow. Moisture and darkness. Get rid of the moisture and the mold should die. Also the most effective killer of mold is vinegar. Some think bleach, but all bleach does is make it white.

Good luck

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
HDRoadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2014, 08:01 AM   #100

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRoadking View Post
Blues,

Mold needs two things to grow. Moisture and darkness. Get rid of the moisture and the mold should die. Also the most effective killer of mold is vinegar. Some think bleach, but all bleach does is make it white.

Good luck

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
If you remove the moisture, mold will stop growing, but it won't die.

According to the CDC, one cup of bleach mixed in one gallon of water will kill the mold.

2014 Allegro 36LA
tanstaafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:16 AM   #101

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Vinegar will kill some species of mold, but not all. It might be worth a try before resorting to bleach.

2014 Allegro 36LA
Old 04-16-2014, 08:57 AM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanstaafl View Post
Vinegar will kill some species of mold, but not all. It might be worth a try before resorting to bleach.
The tech cut out the moldy parts of the end of the wall where it meets the window. (This is covered up by the aluminum window frame.) What's behind that wall is more of a concern to me then anything else. No bleach or vinegar is going to fix this because there is no way to get to it.
Road Master base plates
Palazzoblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 09:00 AM   #103

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A hand grenade might work.

2014 Allegro 36LA
Old 04-16-2014, 11:29 AM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanstaafl View Post
A hand grenade might work.

I knew those Allegro people were smart!!
RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 11:38 AM   #105

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKNOLA View Post

I knew those Allegro people were smart!!
I can sympathize with all of the problems he's encountered. We had a 2014 Hurricane that we had multiple problems with. We decided to trade it in while we could still get some money out of it, because we just felt like we would never be able to trust it. We wound up taking at least a 10k hit by doing that.

2014 Allegro 36LA
Old 04-16-2014, 11:39 AM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palazzoblues View Post
The tech cut out the moldy parts of the end of the wall where it meets the window. (This is covered up by the aluminum window frame.) What's behind that wall is more of a concern to me then anything else. No bleach or vinegar is going to fix this because there is no way to get to it.
Hi Blues,
We are so sorry you are having to go through all of this! I know you don't want all that mold around your family! I hope the tech can fix it.
After Hurricane Katrina, the red cross handed out cans of Lysol Disinfectant Spray. They said it may not completely kill the mold, but it was better at keeping the mold spors out of the air. We used bleach on the inside of the walls, but if we saw a patch of black mold we would spray the Lysol directly on it to "weight down" the mold spors floating in the air.
We hope you can get the coach ready for Myrtle Beach!
Karen
RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 12:01 PM   #107

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palazzoblues View Post
Thor is sending a tech to repair it. I am waiting. Hopefully this week. They cannot give me a firm date. I have asked for a firm date several times. As far as the Camping World that is the closest Palazzo dealer to us goes, I don't trust them no further than I could throw them.
Have you been running a dehumidifier and an absorbent like DampRid since you detected the leak? I would be glad to loan you my dehumidifier if you want to come pick it up. I have not used it in the Palazzo (no need) but it did a great job when I had a flood in my house in Miami and later in my condo after a hurricane gave us a flood on the 18th floor and soaked our rugs. No mildew or mold.

Although I have never had any visible signs of moisture in the Palazzo I always use DampRid when it is not in use. I keep a large bucket size container in the kitchen sink, a hanging bag and a small container in the shower, and two small containers in the toilet area. On my 33.1 the shower is across the hall from the toilet area. I have not collected enough moisture for me to consider putting in more containers.

Good luck with your leak fix. Is it related to the frameless windows or up higher?
Butte64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 02:31 PM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butte64 View Post
Have you been running a dehumidifier and an absorbent like DampRid since you detected the leak? I would be glad to loan you my dehumidifier if you want to come pick it up. I have not used it in the Palazzo (no need) but it did a great job when I had a flood in my house in Miami and later in my condo after a hurricane gave us a flood on the 18th floor and soaked our rugs. No mildew or mold.

Although I have never had any visible signs of moisture in the Palazzo I always use DampRid when it is not in use. I keep a large bucket size container in the kitchen sink, a hanging bag and a small container in the shower, and two small containers in the toilet area. On my 33.1 the shower is across the hall from the toilet area. I have not collected enough moisture for me to consider putting in more containers.

Good luck with your leak fix. Is it related to the frameless windows or up higher?
The tech was pretty sure it was coming from up on the roof were the TPO meets the front cap and rolls over the edge. The Self leveling sealant is white. I now have to paint it black to match. I might just leave it white so people can see where it was fixed (if this fixes it). But I doubt anyone will really notice except for Palazzo people.
Road Master base plates
Old 04-16-2014, 06:27 PM   #109

Thor Owners Club
So what happens now? Did the tech finish his work? You sure you'd don't want to take it back to Elkhart? I'd definitely take it back there so they can strip it down if needed, and get them to pay for it. They owe you that much!
Gingerela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:14 PM   #110

what a mess... Sorry Blues.
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:44 PM   #111
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Can't tell you for sure what kills mold but your experiences are sure killing any desire I may of had for a new coach of any brand.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:43 PM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
Can't tell you for sure what kills mold but your experiences are sure killing any desire I may of had for a new coach of any brand.
Thanks. I cannot get back to Elkhart until next year when I have more vacation. I've already burned vacation up this year with going to pick the thing up and we take another week in October to head down to Fort Wilderness - Disney World. We bought this MH for us and the kids.

I am trying to look on the brighter side of things. I am building a new garage/barn for the Palazzo. I think I have more excitement about the barn then I do the Palazzo at the moment.
Road Master base plates

Tags
thor