RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-17-2014, 07:44 AM   #113

Thor Owners Club
Squeaky Floors

Does anyone know of a fix for this? This morning I realized just how loud the squeak in my cabin floor really is. Please pardon the get up. I'm in my pajamas and wearing my husband's socks. One of them is even inside out! We're camping in Myrtle Beach and the last thing we expected was a cold front to come through.

Here's a little video clip I took just now. I'm not stomping, I"m just shifting my weight and walking in the area in front of of the kitchen cabinets.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6aiu6hgniv...%2036%20AM.mov
Gingerela is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2014, 07:59 AM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingerela View Post
Does anyone know of a fix for this? This morning I realized just how loud the squeak in my cabin floor really is. Please pardon the get up. I'm in my pajamas and wearing my husband's socks. One of them is even inside out! We're camping in Myrtle Beach and the last thing we expected was a cold front to come through.

Here's a little video clip I took just now. I'm not stomping, I"m just shifting my weight and walking in the area in front of of the kitchen cabinets.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6aiu6hgniv...%2036%20AM.mov
WOW! That is very obvious. It does sound like to me the vinyl has separated from the plywood flooring or the plywood has became DE-laminated from the frame. They glue and screw the flooring down. That sounds like glue sticking/unsticking. Bring that to Thor's attention before you go back to Elkhart. I suspect the cold has caused that. Once the temps go back up, I bet it minimizes or goes away.
Road Master base plates
Palazzoblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:15 AM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palazzoblues View Post
WOW! That is very obvious. It does sound like to me the vinyl has separated from the plywood flooring or the plywood has became DE-laminated from the frame. They glue and screw the flooring down. That sounds like glue sticking/unsticking. Bring that to Thor's attention before you go back to Elkhart. I suspect the cold has caused that. Once the temps go back up, I bet it minimizes or goes away.
I concur with Palazzoblues evaluation of the noise from your floor, i.e., "sounds like glue sticking/unsticking". I had a small bubble in my flooring in front of the frig that Thor was able to secure to the subfloor.
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:27 AM   #116

Thor Owners Club
When we did our PDI, there wasn't a way to check the washing machine ourselves. The 'PDI guy' assured us he'd tested it and everything worked fine. That never happened because when we first turned it on, it flooded the cabin. The hoses were loose and sprayed out everywhere. I wonder if this didn't cause the problem I am seeing now with the squeaky floor.

Is there anyone here with a 36.1? I'd love to see what the underside of your wall slide looks like. I have a large rubber opening around the middle of the slide and the rubber has started to warp. This area opens up to the area where the washing machine hoses are as well as the rear of my wardrobe closets.

We have been killing stink bugs left and right and I suspect they find their way easily through this large opening. Once the slide is closed, it's sealed off, but when it's open, we are susceptible. Here are some photos:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ubokzconq3...%2011%20PM.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y6c73w3cgq...%2041%20PM.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c6owpxg3f4...%2052%20PM.jpg

BTW, the white you see on the rubber is from the duct tape we used to seal it while the slide was extended. When the winds were gusting to the point where the slide cover was coming up and out of the roller, we removed the tape and brought the slide back in. Unfortunately, it left white reside on the rubber.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:55 AM   #117

Is there anyone here with a 36.1? I'd love to see what the underside of your wall slide looks like. I have a large rubber opening around the middle of the slide and the rubber has started to warp. This area opens up to the area where the washing machine hoses are as well as the rear of my wardrobe closets.

We have been killing stink bugs left and right and I suspect they find their way easily through this large opening. Once the slide is closed, it's sealed off, but when it's open, we are susceptible.[/QUOTE]

I do not own a 36.1 but from these photos it reinforces my opinion that I do not want any RV with appliances mounted on the slide due to exposed plumbing and the extra weight.
As for stink bugs, they are everywhere! They are in our 33.1 and in our home in Ohio. Same goes for lady bugs!
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:19 AM   #118

Thor Owners Club
Just spoke to someone at Thor and they went out and checked a 36.1 while I was on the phone. Turns out the rubber is there because there is a plumbing line right in this area. The rubber seals close in and around this plumbing line when the slide comes in. Who thought that was a good idea?? I'm sure this is a plumbing line to the washing machine.

I have got to figure out how to address this design flaw because this open area is a huge problem, especially when the rubber starts warping and looses it's shape and ability to seal off components they are meant to protect. I'd say the integrity of the washing machines are pretty darn important.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:23 AM   #119

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Just spoke to someone at Thor and they went out and checked a 36.1 while I was on the phone. Turns out the rubber is there because there is a plumbing line right in this area. The rubber seals close in and around this plumbing line when the slide comes in. Who thought that was a good idea?? I'm sure this is a plumbing line to the washing machine.

I have got to figure out how to address this design flaw because this open area is a huge problem, especially when the rubber starts warping and looses it's shape and ability to seal off components they are meant to protect. I'd say the integrity of the washing machines are pretty darn important.
Not sure if it is the same, but on my hurricane that rubber flap was supposed to have Velcro on it to keep it closed.

2014 Allegro 36LA
tanstaafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 03:30 PM   #120

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:

under my 33.3 slide I have the same opening but it leads underneath the cabinet where my stove is located but I also have water lines running there. One morning I opened the bottom drawer under my stove and saw daylight underneath. I went out and stuck my hand in as you did and inside the rubber flaps there was a canvas "bag" with Velcro that ripped and exposed everything to the outside. So right now I go out after opening the slide and reach in and pull the canvas across to close in the opening until I can get it to the dealer to replace. I think this is similar to yours so reach in there and see if you can feel the canvas pushed up in there somewhere. You are correct that the rubber flaps themselves will not seal the area to the outside environment.
wstrace3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 05:52 PM   #121

the rubber flaps are not meant to seal the outside environment... the canvas wrap is what seals the inside of the RV from the outside. If the canvas is ripped or is not tucked under the rubber flaps, then yes critters can wind up in the RV if they go through the ripped or exposed hole. There should be enough slack or play on the canvas to flex when the slide goes in and out... I dont like the design either but the gray tank is right there so there will be plumbing in the area... that slot is necessary.

I plan on getting a strip of aluminum bar and put it on top of the screws were the rubber flaps are mounted... also a wider rubber flap that overlaps each other should seal better than Thor's original design.
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:12 PM   #122

Thor Owners Club
Yes, definitely a poor design when you consider what can get in there. I will ask Thor to take a look at this and see what they can do to improve on it. The canvas bag is there, but it is sealed above the hoses. It doesn't reach down below the hoses you see in the pics. Maybe it was placed upside down? Who knows. I have asked Thor for the schematics of this section of the coach to see if there is any way to change the plumbing in order to remove the pipe that requires those rubber sections to be there. If that were possible, I could seal that area permanently. I wouldn't worry so much about it if it weren't for the stink bug infestation we are surrounded by, and most importantly, the fact that the rubber is all warped and has become disfigured since it's August 2013 build date.

Thank you to all who chimed in.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:52 PM   #123

Freightliner Owners Club
Window Cornice Boxes

Glad to say that most of our first year issues were resolved successfully by Thor and Freightliner at our local repair shop. No driving our RV from California to Elkhart, thank you. Now, new problems and questions for you all...

1. On our last trip, two of our window cornice boxes fell off the wall. The screws stripped out of the wall surface during travel (no thanks to the dismal condition of our Interstates!). These boxes carry quite a bit of weight with both the roller shade and roller screen attached to them. Surprised the factory only used two small screws to mount the top to the wall. Now trying to figure out the best way to re-anchor the screws into these stripped-out holes and add additional support. Any ideas?

2. We experienced rain on our last trip. For the first time, water came into the cabin off the top of the slide when we retracted the main cabin slide thus dousing the TV with water. We think the rain came in at an angle and got the top of the slideout wet beneath the slideout awning, then got squeegeed off by the rubber seal upon retracting. Any way to prevent this from happening?

3. We are still getting diesel fumes/dust and or road dust infiltrating the rear cabin from behind the bedroom side tables mounted to the rear wall. The repair shop had taken the bed and rear wall apart and sealed everything, but now its happening again. We can't use the nightstand drawers because they're covered in black soot. Anybody else have this problem? And what can we do about it?

4. We can't keep our batteries charged. The repair shop replaced all of the original ones under warranty because they were "bulging" within their first year. The new ones are less than a year old, have been well maintained, and were put in "storage" mode while not using the RV for a couple months over the winter. Even so, they were "dead" when we went to use the RV and we had to jump them. Now they won't hold a charge for any length of time. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any input
dogmum53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 11:22 PM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmum53 View Post
Glad to say that most of our first year issues were resolved successfully by Thor and Freightliner at our local repair shop. No driving our RV from California to Elkhart, thank you. Now, new problems and questions for you all...

1. On our last trip, two of our window cornice boxes fell off the wall. The screws stripped out of the wall surface during travel (no thanks to the dismal condition of our Interstates!). These boxes carry quite a bit of weight with both the roller shade and roller screen attached to them. Surprised the factory only used two small screws to mount the top to the wall. Now trying to figure out the best way to re-anchor the screws into these stripped-out holes and add additional support. Any ideas?

I would put more brackets to support the valence...

2. We experienced rain on our last trip. For the first time, water came into the cabin off the top of the slide when we retracted the main cabin slide thus dousing the TV with water. We think the rain came in at an angle and got the top of the slideout wet beneath the slideout awning, then got squeegeed off by the rubber seal upon retracting. Any way to prevent this from happening?

you can bring the slide in, or put a beach ball under the slide topper.

3. We are still getting diesel fumes/dust and or road dust infiltrating the rear cabin from behind the bedroom side tables mounted to the rear wall. The repair shop had taken the bed and rear wall apart and sealed everything, but now its happening again. We can't use the nightstand drawers because they're covered in black soot. Anybody else have this problem? And what can we do about it?

there is an access panel under the drawer, against the side wall there is a cutout for the intake... cut some strips of memory foam and stuff the cut out section or get a can of expansion foam and seal any openings you may see.

4. We can't keep our batteries charged. The repair shop replaced all of the original ones under warranty because they were "bulging" within their first year. The new ones are less than a year old, have been well maintained, and were put in "storage" mode while not using the RV for a couple months over the winter. Even so, they were "dead" when we went to use the RV and we had to jump them. Now they won't hold a charge for any length of time. Thoughts?

is you inverter/charger working? do you have it on?

Thanks in advance for any input
please see response above
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 11:08 PM   #125

Freightliner Owners Club
To clarify on the battery issue. The inverter is on. When plugged in, the system immediately switches to "bulk charging", and then eventually returns to absorb charging and then to "float" charge. Once unplugged, with only the refrigerator running on the inverter while on the road for 6-8 hours, the system immediately returns to bulk charging upon being plugged in. In storage, we put the RV in "storage" mode, and yet the batteries ran completely down. Thinking maybe a drain on the system somewhere unknown to us, or a problem with the charging system. No dry camping until we get this issue resolved.
dogmum53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 06:18 AM   #126

I have the same problem with the batteries discharging while underway...ie..alternator not charging the batteries. Mark Stanley from Thor diagnosed this as the solenoid located in the inverter compartment. It is undersized.
TK IV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thor