Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-20-2019, 10:19 AM   #15

update: I've bought the brackets, and wiring to setup the Ford F-150 XL SuperCrew that I purchased. the Curb weight is rated at just under 5,000. So, I'll need to pack light. To compare we towed a Chrysler T&C with a Kar Kaddy and the curb weight of those two was basically $5,000, too.

I plan to toad the truck 5,000 miles next year behind the Palazzo.

FYI I looked at the new GM/Chevy trucks and noticed most of them have a 1-speed transfer case that won't allow for flat tow.

mgw44
mgw44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2019, 07:47 AM   #16

I did the baseplate and wiring on my Expedition.
I bought the Roadmaster kit from etrailer. Previously, I installed on a Jeep Patriot.

I used the diode kit but I think if I ever do it again I would add new lights to the tail assembly. That way you don't have to cut and splice.

I assume your F150 dash control is similar to mine where you press a few buttons, manipulate the 4WD switch and then the dash displays, "Ready for Flat Tow."

I was able to fish trailer wiring through the frame from front to back. It took a little longer but it's safe from road hazards.

It took me about four hours for the baseplate and another four for the wiring.

Good Luck.
tucson.don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 07:44 PM   #17

tucson.don my truck has the same controls to engage "ready for flat tow"

I chose to run the separate light kit. It took a few hours but the bulbs fit into the tail lights and I was able to wire from the tail lights to the 6 prong plug that will connect to the rv umbilical trailer 7-prong plug. I also ran the line to keep the battery charged and added a 12 volt plug to the battery to run the auxillary blue ox braking system. All has tested well. So, I think I'm all set to tow. We're pulling the 2019 Ford F-150 for the first time behind the Palazzo in April. I also bought the blueox hitch 3" height adjuster but I may not need it. If my measurements are right the height of the base plates on the truck might be the same height as the Palazzo hitch.

Finally, this site just freaks me out. Nobody posts on here about the wonderful trips. So, last year on our trip to Acadia NP, not only did nothing break, the motor on the step actually started working again. the memories we've created with our family are priceless and I hope this year safely brings more of the same.

Here's to your many successful camping trips in 2020 and beyond!

mgw044
Old 03-06-2020, 03:43 AM   #18

It sounds like you're ready to roll mgw044. Good Luck.

I chose not to add a braking system.
Old 03-06-2020, 09:18 AM   #19

mgw,
you are ready to go! Let us know how it pulls. Sounds fun!
iluvuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 11:47 AM   #20

final update, I just got back from a 3700 mile trip pulling my 2019 Ford F-150 xl supercrew with 6.5ft bed. Curb weight is just under 5,000lbs. My 2015 33.3 with 300hp diesel pulled the truck just fine and I am very pleased with the support from e-trailer and the blue ox parts I used. We made it through the Eisenhower tunnel at an elevation of 11,000 ft to find snow on the other side June 19 and scaled multiple peaks in the rockies with 6, 8, and 10% grades without issues. If my math is right we averaged a little less than 9 mpg with the generator running air conditioners at least half the time.

thanks for talking me through it.

mgw44
Old 08-05-2020, 05:32 AM   #21

12V Battery Charger Fuse?

HI All,

We just bought a 2016 Palazzo 35.1 and a 2015 Fiat 500 as a toad. I had a Demco towbar from my older motorhome so I installed a Demco baseplate and the Curt plug in wiring for the taillights. I have a Brakebuddy Select II that doesn't really work well with the front seat but I think I have that solved. My only issue is the 12V from the trailer connector to chargs the toad battery. That pin is dead on my coach. I sent an inquiry to Thor and they told me the 40 Amp fuse for that line is in the Freightliner fuse block in the foremost front driver's side compartment. I looked in there but couldn't determine which fuse it should be.

Has anyone else had to replace this fuse and if so can you give me a general idea of where it is? I didn't see any 40 Amp fuses so perhaps mine is missing entirely? Any help is greatly appreciated!
DavdinOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 07:02 AM   #22

I think it should be in the Freightliner fuse and relay box in the rear passenger side compartment, where inverter is. Black plastic box in the upper left corner.
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06740.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	342.4 KB
ID:	295959  
myarmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 06:05 PM   #23

Thanks!

Thanks myarmar, I'll look there. Thor and Freightliner had me looking in the front driver's side compartment and I couldn't see any 40 amp fuses there...
Old 08-06-2020, 06:04 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavdinOC View Post
Thanks myarmar, I'll look there. Thor and Freightliner had me looking in the front driver's side compartment and I couldn't see any 40 amp fuses there...
Are you sure it is 40A? I would hope there is a label with fuses and circuits. And I'm sure you know that, but this circuit is only active with ignition ON.
Mike
myarmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 08:23 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavdinOC View Post
HI All,

...as anyone else had to replace this fuse and if so can you give me a general idea of where it is? I didn't see any 40 Amp fuses so perhaps mine is missing entirely? Any help is greatly appreciated!
Mine was near the battery. Look at the battery and see if there's a wire with an inline fuse holder.
Old 08-06-2020, 05:27 PM   #26

Thanks Myarmar

Thanks again for the hint - Freightliner and Thor said it was in the diver's side front. Instead as you showed I got the fuse lid off that right side rear compartment and it was marked as 30A for towed ign. It was empty so I put in a spare 30 amp fuse. The brakebuddy charger also has a 15 amp fuse so it's good to go. Now to make sure I have the vehicle 6 pin receptacle wired right, LOL
Old 09-13-2020, 11:05 AM   #27

Smile

Just returned from trip from North Georgia to Yellowstone, Tetons and points in between. Pulling F150 super crew. According to the Freightliner LCBU we averaged 8.6 MPG, with the generator running at least half the time. Went thru Shell Canyon in the Big Horn NF without issue. We have AF One brakes on the toad. Great trip.
GPRYOR is online now   Reply With Quote