RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-01-2014, 09:29 AM   #15

Palazzo 36.1 Review

We have had my 36.1 since June 2013. We have 14,000 miles on it. We moved up from a Class C to this DP. We were in love with the rear bath and the full wall slide.

Almost all of my issues were fit and finish quality issues. I'm convinced Thor has no QC department at all.

Two of the most distressing issues were the rear wardrobe that continually flew open while underway and the shower stall door not fitting properly. Thor said they had no fix for the wardrobe. I fixed it. CW made an unsuccessful attempt to fix the shower door. The wall is 5/8" out of plumb and the door could not be adjusted until I removed it and trimmed the aluminum channel.

Our large slide failed after about 36 operations. Fortunately it failed closed. Fixed by Thor, it has given no more problems.

We had a long list of minor items but CW was unresponsive and it was easier to fix them myself. A poor Dealer makes the pain of Thor ownership worse.

The primary disatisfier has been the loud air conditioner. After the Class C, we didn't know any better until we were in a better quality Class A coach and were surprised that you could carry on a normal conversation with the AC running.

At that time we started to identify other Palazzo shortcomings, most of which have been addressed by the blog on "modifications" to the Palazzo. We bought a Magneshade and "flip" shades for the front windows because Thor was too cheap to provide day shades from the factory. Air horns, mudflaps, the list goes on and on. Others have had to install faucets that are actually usable.

Seems like most of the modifications have been to address Palazzo shortcomings or to replace the cheap components that they installed at the Factory.

The transfer switch is under the bed, ours started buzzing loudly and vibrating the bed. No fix from Thor. I isolated it in rubber.

The howling cooling fan in the electrical cabinet is right next to the bedroom window. So is the noise of the water heater when running on propane.

Ever notice how inconveniently the electrical outlets are placed? How about the bathroom light switches? The block heater switch on the 36.1 is in the corner of the rear bath. You only have to climb over the bed to get to it. There are two useless duplex outlets on the bed frame but none on the night stands. I'm pretty sure that no one from Thor Engineering ever actually camped in one of these to evaluate device placement.

The screw that holds the refrigerator closed gets my wife. Look at competitors refrigerators, they don't use a screw.

The Freightliner chassis is great! Great power train and gear selection. I love the engine. Unfortunately Thor spec'd drum brakes to reduce cost and the brakes rust in damp weather and squeal horribly when first applied after overnight or two.

I recognize that the Palazzo was configured to hit a price point. It is an "entry level" DP. I did not realize how many corners were cut to reach that point. Because of the quality issues, we are ready to move up to a higher grade DP. We have learned a great deal about DP's and what to look for in our next unit.

It will not be a Thor product.
Indianjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2014, 10:10 AM   #16

On the upside. The basement storage is great. The large doors on the larger basement (36.1) are unique to Palazzo and are very helpful. We like the mudroom, also a unique feature. That said, unfortunately most of the basement areas leaked when in heavy rain.
Old 09-01-2014, 11:00 AM   #17

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I got tired of the screw on the refrigerator and was not adept enough to install fancier mods. So I just put 2 Command hooks on the doors and 2 Command hooks on the enclosure then use big rubber bands. Works fast and cheap.
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 03:48 PM   #18

Well Jim. I think I had all your same issues. As everyone knows I did get mine traded off.

We just got home today from a 2000 mile trip around Lake Superior in our new coach. Had one issue with the step. Other than that zero issues. We drove on some very rough roads that would have loosened half the screws in the Palazzo.

I did buy a little nicer coach but at least it not full of sawdust and extra parts (screws, plastic, etc).

And just like you I'll never own a Thor product again.

Russell
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:30 AM   #19

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChallengerRN View Post
Well Jim. I think I had all your same issues. As everyone knows I did get mine traded off.

We just got home today from a 2000 mile trip around Lake Superior in our new coach. Had one issue with the step. Other than that zero issues. We drove on some very rough roads that would have loosened half the screws in the Palazzo.

I did buy a little nicer coach but at least it not full of sawdust and extra parts (screws, plastic, etc).

And just like you I'll never own a Thor product again.

Russell
Just curious;
Why would someone who dislikes their Thor product so much that they would trade it off, still be posting on the Thor thread?
Seems like they would have moved on up to bigger and better.
tcopeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:18 AM   #20

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcopeland View Post
Just curious;
Why would someone who dislikes their Thor product so much that they would trade it off, still be posting on the Thor thread?
x2.. tom

wondering the same.
wstrace3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:27 AM   #21

In this thread Bevo55 asked:
Palazzo Reviews
My husband and I are contemplating purchasing a 2014 Thor Palazzo 36.1. We are seeking reviews from other Palazzo 36.1 owners, any information on this motor home would be helpful. Thank you!

I was simply responding to their query.
I'm pleased that you are satisfied with your coaches.

I learned alot from buying this, it will cost me to trade and move up. The cost of tuition is high. BTY: This whole forum is loaded with inputs about Palazzo problems and modifications. Most of the modifications are improvements to Thor shortcomings. I would not recommend a Palazzo, would you?
Old 09-02-2014, 11:39 AM   #22

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianjim View Post
In this thread Bevo55 asked:
Palazzo Reviews
My husband and I are contemplating purchasing a 2014 Thor Palazzo 36.1. We are seeking reviews from other Palazzo 36.1 owners, any information on this motor home would be helpful. Thank you!

I was simply responding to their query.
I'm pleased that you are satisfied with your coaches.

I learned alot from buying this, it will cost me to trade and move up. The cost of tuition is high.
Hey Jim,

Not to speak for Tom but he was responding to ChallengerRN who no longer is a Palazzo owner. You are correct... The cost of tuition is way too high and I agree with you.

Billy
wstrace3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 12:16 PM   #23

Thank you again, for all your responses. I am so sorry that some of you are so disappointed with your Thor product. So, my question to you, if you had $ 200K what would you buy? We are first time RV owners and would like a diesel pusher. We are looking at new and used. We would like the residential refrigerator and the stackable W/D and we want a product that has no carpet, as we will be traveling with our furry friend. We don't like the units with shiny tile floors or the fake fireplaces. We do not need a unit with bunks, but we would love a 1/2 bath. We really like the floor plan and finishes of the Palazzo 36.1, but you guys have us terrified!

Gina
bevo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 01:20 PM   #24

Quote:
Just curious;

Ok. Here goes copeland-- # 1 as I have said many times the 33.1 owners are the lucky ones and will have less issues because the large slide is the big issue. And you have the 33.1. Lucky you.

Now go over to the FR site & you will see me over there. Quite happy I might say.

People interested in buying a product should see all sides. You like yours great. I didn't great. Both sides??

What is interesting to me is that many of the people that once were 100% behind Thor (myself in that group) are falling beside the way because of the issues that are coming up.

I'm really surprised that the forum let you post what you did but I am certainly good with it. All sides should be heard.

I see people all the time that own other coaches post on all threads.

I hope that answers your questions. So bottom line is I'd be a little upset if all I was allowed to read was the good stuff then find out after I spent $145,000 there was another side.

Russell
Old 09-02-2014, 01:48 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevo55 View Post
Thank you again, for all your responses. I am so sorry that some of you are so disappointed with your Thor product. So, my question to you, if you had $ 200K what would you buy? We are first time RV owners and would like a diesel pusher. We are looking at new and used. We would like the residential refrigerator and the stackable W/D and we want a product that has no carpet, as we will be traveling with our furry friend. We don't like the units with shiny tile floors or the fake fireplaces. We do not need a unit with bunks, but we would love a 1/2 bath. We really like the floor plan and finishes of the Palazzo 36.1, but you guys have us terrified!

Gina

Gina.

I looked for a long time to find something without tile or carpet.

That a tuff find. Some coach builders will let you do some custom modifications. We toured the Tiffin factory in Red Bay Alabama. They might do that for you?? Newmar has a coach under $200,000 too I think. We did not tour their plant but I believe they allow so custom builds.

Past that I'm not sure. We ended up with tile floors. Somewhat prettier (maybe). Harder to keep clean.

Russell
Old 09-02-2014, 02:07 PM   #26

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevo55 View Post

Gina
Gina,

If you are going to spend $200k, then you should be looking at RVs that have list prices closer to $300k. For under $200k you could pick up a new Tuscany XTE and have a very nice unit. I am not knocking the Palazzo as I had one and loved it. We just decided to upgrade to the Tuscany and have no regrets with it. The Palazzo served us well for over two years. Sure we had some problems but I don't think that there is a motorhome built that doesn't have some issues with it.

Best of Luck in your searches,
Gary
gmadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:35 PM   #27

Never had problem with large slide in 33.2. Just keep it lubed a be careful being level.
StevieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:42 PM   #28

Quote:
Just curious;
For the same reason we get people that own Newmar, or Fleetwood, or Tiffin, or any number of other RV brands posting on the Palazzo threads.
RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote