RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-05-2014, 06:35 AM   #57

Winnebago Owners Club
Palazzo Reviews

Sorry to hear about the problems with your RV.
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2014, 10:47 AM   #58

Thor Owners Club
My Palazzo

I had my coach serviced at the factory service center recently in early July. I had to have my one bedroom slide shimmed. This is a factory service tech repair only either at the factory or Thor sending a tech to use a dealerships facility near you.

Winnebago, Tiffin, Forest River and Lance Truck campers to name a few use this slide mechanism. I have searched here on IRV2 and found numerous problems with this mechanism on other coaches.

Units all have their problems that need to be taken care of. Try owning a boat.......same thing!

I have been traveling with my coach since factory visit. I have not had one problem with slides so far........Knock on wood!!!!!!

I love the floor plan of my 33.2 and the performance with mileage I am getting cruising.

I would consider a larger coach by Thor such as the Tuscany XTE 36 mq. But that is a maybe as stated in previous posts It would be step up in quality of materials in this coach and a bigger engine HP. But that would result in a drop of 2-3 miles to the gallon usage. I have just turned 13K and still counting. I believe if you buy what ever you can afford, you got to use it! Prior to buying this coach I looked used. Coaches three or four years old would have 8-11K miles on them and close 600-1200 hours on generator. The owner would state he could afford to fill it up? Todays coach's with all of the new technology coming out and todays fuel prices, this Palazzo is affordable to travel in at the current mpg's it gets.

Something to remember, We all spent good hard money to get our coaches and yealling and screaming at Thor will affect your level of service. Feed back of the service dept work orders do flow back to the respective area that defect was fixed. Palazzoblues....aka. 93 Matercraft... is frustrated and really mad since this is his third coach provided by Thor. One would think that Thor went over this coach with a fine tooth comb or maybe they did. Stuff happens down the road that is unavoidable. Palazzoblues and I are good friend now since meeting at the Mrytle Beach rally. I sympathize with him with his concerns. But after contacting Thor about this latest failure and all the bad press he gave them, Thor is flying down a factory service tech to fix his coach at his Camping World dealership. They still want him as a happy customer and also know that he has reservations upcoming at Disney. So, it sounds to me they are trying to accomodate him.

I too went to Lazydays and got the lowest price for my coach but the deal went bad when they low-balled my trade. Ended up with Camping World with a price match of another on-line dealer. If CW couldn't meet it or beat it then they have a policy of issuing you a $1000.00 gift card!

[moderator edit]

I agree though, no personal attacks, fowl language etc will be tolerated. But this should remain a site for seeking help and personal opinions/feelings/experiences. I also believe in the 1st amendment of the consititution.

It is my belief this forum site is fiancially backed by manufacturers, though denied. [moderator edit]

Bottom line: I love my Palazzo and hope nothing goes wrong down the road. But if it does, I personally have the confidence that Thor Customer service will take care of it for me!

I will step down off my soap box now! LOL

Don
Don Voyage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 06:37 PM   #59

I have read about the tolerances between the column and the gear rack and would like to add a bit more to the topic. By design, the slide would seem to have front-to-rear play in the framed opening of the coach. To achieve this, the bearing block, which houses the gear, is held tight to the gear rack by the v-roller on the bottom and the shoe on top of the bearing block. The bearing block then connects to the side column that is connected to the coach, and held in place by the gibb which restricts vertical movement while allowing horizontal movement. This arrangement allows lateral movement of the slide in the framed opening while also allowing the bearing block to maintain tight contact with the gear rack. I am wondering that if the gibb is not lubricated, then it will not allow free movement and could ultimately cause the gear to disengage from the rack resulting in some of the failures that folks have experienced.
Anyone have any thoughts?
streamcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 06:46 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butte64 View Post
We saw a Thor tech do it at Myrtle Beach. Not easy and not a one person job. I don't know if CW service people know how.

Perhaps more important was that he showed us what to look for.

I expect that at the TDC rally next month there will be a lot of slide checking done and perhaps an opportunity to see the shim job in action.
I am wondering why it couldn't be a one person job? If the slide is lifted slightly to remove it's weight from the gear racks, you would be able to remove a gear rack by unscrewing it from the slide wall, install the shim, reinstall the gear rack, and then repeat the procedure for the other gear rack on the same side. One would need to take care to not allow the slide to move otherwise the top and bottom would become out of alignment. Does anyone know if this procedure is comparable to what the technicians perform?
streamcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 07:43 PM   #61

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Confused

We are new owners. In fact we just returned from our maiden voyage, an overnight trip 25 miles from our house. Found out we had forgotten a few things, did a few things in the wrong order and found two items that we need to get fixed. One is the lock on the window in the slide by the bed and the other is one of the reading lights over the bed is out ( bulb, fixture?) will work on later this week. Other than that we feel it was a success and will be ready for a longer trip next week to the Oregon coast.
When we were researching buying a coach earlier this year we were on a lot of different forums while we tried to decide on what we wanted in a coach and what we liked and disliked. We visited many dealers, several RV shows and the list of brands and models kept getting smaller. after a couple of months we were down to a Palazzo 36.1 and a couple of Tiffin models (we wanted a bath and a half, w/d and a king bed, we gave the king bed up as we kept cutting things, and some of our friends who have MH kept telling us go for a DP). At the Tiffin dealer on our second or third visit we tried to get in a unit that the step was broken, I went in a unit that had just arrived at the dealer and the wooden frame around the slide was hanging off the slide etc. We knew of the problems with the slides on the Palazzo and found one with the three tracks at a local CW, we liked the layout but were still concerned about what we had read. We contacted Thor to find out more about the issues and fixes. The West Coast rep contacted me and said he would meet us at the dealer and go over the unit with us and explain the changes they had made and help us find any other issues. I guess he spent 4 or 5 hours with us going over the coach, first by himself and then with us. It was his effort to help us that swayed us to Thor.
So here we are and this is why I am confused. From what we saw all brands have some quality issues, some more than others. But since we purchased the Palazzo we have not found the need to be on any forum that is not directly related to our product or issue that we have been researching. I am not saying I will never go to another manufacturers forum or web site, but it will be when or if we are looking to change, for whatever reason. The history is here for everyone to read and make a decision. Some of you have moved on to something else (and from what we have read I can understand completely why and the frustration you experienced) so why not move on? Rehashing your history doesn't change it. Enjoy whatever you now have and let those of us who remain enjoy our decisions. One way or another we will pay the price for our choice.
In closing this thread was started by someone interested in buying a Palazzo, from the research we did and have read I believe that Thor is trying to do what it can to resolve the issues. Could they do more, the answer is probably, but they are trying, at least in our opinion.
Hope to meet some of you around the country and if you are not in a Palazzo or other Thor product we can still be friends.
Golfer503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 08:15 PM   #62

Palazzo Reviews

My thought on the above. Lots of good information comes from owners of all brands on lots of different topics. Lots of coaches all have the same components.

IRV2 is a site for all topics and all brands. A bit hard to regulate who gets to post on any given thread.

Now lots of brands have their own forums. Ones I am familiar with are Forest River, Thor, Tiffin and I'm sure several more. For a "Brand" loyal person these are excellent sites. I have spent time on all these sites plus others. Many great post out there.

As stated IRV2 along with a few other sites cater to all brands and all things RV.

My guess is that the OP of this post is gratefully to see all sides to their question. Good & bad.

Russell
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 11:43 PM   #63

My family and I have had our 33.3 for about a year and a half with about 18K miles, so far. Here are the items that made me scratch my head on the QA front and component selection.

• The basements are fiberglass cabinets weather sealed against the walls. If they are leaking, they are not sealed tight enough. The doors tend to be fine.
  • Thor factory must be a bit messy. There is enough dust and debris in and under things. Make sure you do a good PDI.
  • Bathroom faucet barely flows water. Replace that and be done.
  • The water pump is very cheap. Just put a good one in at the onset. Better flow, less noise.
  • Get a foam mattress if you have the hide-a-loft. Get a decent queen and have a drill handy to relocate the locking pins.
  • The accordion side privacy windows are cheap. Get MCD pull down shades.
  • They need to run HDMI cables and coax to all TVs. Make life easier.
  • The cheap fan in the bathroom - we replaced the one in the kitchen and bathroom with ones that have remotes and rain sense.
  • Pay the dealer to install a LED light in the well of infinite darkness by the entry door. Or, just keep the mud room light on all the time.
  • Make sure your front seat is straight - it can be angled left or right a bit based on tolerance.
  • Try the wipers at speed and make sure they are aligned correctly.
  • Why no LED brake, signal and backup lights? Just replace them out of the gate.
  • The fridge screw, really? A snap is much easier.
But, even with all of that, we cannot find a coach that is not a compromise. The Thor was the ONLY coach that met all of the requirements we had set out.

• Fuel efficient
  • 35 feet or less
  • Enough power to tow my car and trailer
  • had enough sleeping for 6 people without using a couch or dinette for sleeping use
  • Autostart generator
  • usable zipped up (we use it for a lot of travel and did not want to open slides at every stop)
As for the slide, the big side with the kitchen and bunks has been cycled over 100 times without issue (fingers crossed). We may have got lucky on that front.

Whatever you pick, it will be a learning experience.
HeavyH2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 11:47 AM   #64

To Golfer503: Welcome aboard!!
When you bought your coach you were probably given a free 1 yr membership to the Thor Diesel Club. It is a great club and the website: Home has a forum section where you can read posts from other Thor owners. The TDC also has a rally coming up October 5-10th in Goshen, Indiana. The rallies are great for meeting other Thor Owners, seminars with reps from Freightliner and Thor, and Tech days where you can list 3 items to be checked out or fixed on your coach during the rally. The rally fee pays for your campsite for 5 days, food (breakfast and dinner), seminars, and a vendor sales area to buy things for your coach.
If you get a minute, go to the TDC website and check it out.
Karen
RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 11:50 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyH2O View Post
My family and I have had our 33.3 for about a year and a half with about 18K miles, so far. Here are the items that made me scratch my head on the QA front and component selection.

• The basements are fiberglass cabinets weather sealed against the walls. If they are leaking, they are not sealed tight enough. The doors tend to be fine.
  • Thor factory must be a bit messy. There is enough dust and debris in and under things. Make sure you do a good PDI.
  • Bathroom faucet barely flows water. Replace that and be done.
  • The water pump is very cheap. Just put a good one in at the onset. Better flow, less noise.
  • Get a foam mattress if you have the hide-a-loft. Get a decent queen and have a drill handy to relocate the locking pins.
  • The accordion side privacy windows are cheap. Get MCD pull down shades.
  • They need to run HDMI cables and coax to all TVs. Make life easier.
  • The cheap fan in the bathroom - we replaced the one in the kitchen and bathroom with ones that have remotes and rain sense.
  • Pay the dealer to install a LED light in the well of infinite darkness by the entry door. Or, just keep the mud room light on all the time.
  • Make sure your front seat is straight - it can be angled left or right a bit based on tolerance.
  • Try the wipers at speed and make sure they are aligned correctly.
  • Why no LED brake, signal and backup lights? Just replace them out of the gate.
  • The fridge screw, really? A snap is much easier.
But, even with all of that, we cannot find a coach that is not a compromise. The Thor was the ONLY coach that met all of the requirements we had set out.

• Fuel efficient
  • 35 feet or less
  • Enough power to tow my car and trailer
  • had enough sleeping for 6 people without using a couch or dinette for sleeping use
  • Autostart generator
  • usable zipped up (we use it for a lot of travel and did not want to open slides at every stop)
As for the slide, the big side with the kitchen and bunks has been cycled over 100 times without issue (fingers crossed). We may have got lucky on that front.

Whatever you pick, it will be a learning experience.

Well said! Thank you.
Old 09-11-2014, 12:10 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChallengerRN View Post
My thought on the above. Lots of good information comes from owners of all brands on lots of different topics. Lots of coaches all have the same components.

IRV2 is a site for all topics and all brands. A bit hard to regulate who gets to post on any given thread.

Now lots of brands have their own forums. Ones I am familiar with are Forest River, Thor, Tiffin and I'm sure several more. For a "Brand" loyal person these are excellent sites. I have spent time on all these sites plus others. Many great post out there.

As stated IRV2 along with a few other sites cater to all brands and all things RV.

My guess is that the OP of this post is gratefully to see all sides to their question. Good & bad.

Russell

Hi Russell,
We look forward to seeing your new coach in Indiana!
Old 09-11-2014, 01:38 PM   #67

Planning on that Karen.

Russell
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 10:15 PM   #68

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Rick and Karen. Thanks for the info on the TDC. we just sent in our paperwork. This year we will not be able to make it but will start following things for next year. Thanks for the welcome, hope we cross paths some day.
Golfer503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 10:50 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfer503 View Post
Rick and Karen. Thanks for the info on the TDC. we just sent in our paperwork. This year we will not be able to make it but will start following things for next year. Thanks for the welcome, hope we cross paths some day.

Hi Carol Jo and Gary,
Sorry you won't be able to make it to the rally. On the TDC website they list all of the upcoming rallies so you can maybe try to fit one of those into your travels.
Rick and I have also been to the RVillage.com site. They have a Thor Owners section that might also be helpful to you.
See you down the road,
Karen
Old 02-11-2015, 04:50 AM   #70

The new 2015 Palazzo 36.1 has increased HP to 330, I think. I am impressed with my Freightliner Chassis with it's 300 HP 2014 Palazzo. It's loaded to the gills and has a 4000lb toad and lists a 10K towing capacity. As small as the diesel is it pulls very well. Have to keep the revs up towing in the mountains though. Torque is the answer.