RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-11-2015, 07:56 PM   #71

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radidio View Post
The new 2015 Palazzo 36.1 has increased HP to 330, I think. I am impressed with my Freightliner Chassis with it's 300 HP 2014 Palazzo. It's loaded to the gills and has a 4000lb toad and lists a 10K towing capacity. As small as the diesel is it pulls very well. Have to keep the revs up towing in the mountains though. Torque is the answer.
The 10K rating is misleading as that is the capacity of the hitch, not the max towing capacity. The GVWR is 26,000 lb. and I think, since I don't have the info packet any more, the GCWR is 31,000 lb so max tow at max weight is 5,000 lb. So if your actual weight plus TOAD weight is less than GCWR and less than 10K you are good to go.
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2015, 07:31 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butte64 View Post
The 10K rating is misleading as that is the capacity of the hitch, not the max towing capacity. The GVWR is 26,000 lb. and I think, since I don't have the info packet any more, the GCWR is 31,000 lb so max tow at max weight is 5,000 lb. So if your actual weight plus TOAD weight is less than GCWR and less than 10K you are good to go.
You might want to reconsider that since there is NO tongue that can support 10K. I was surprised also that the specs mentioned 10K towing capacity. I've never seen a 300HP pull that much weight. Again, they must be qualifying it with the torque

"In order to select the correct components to safely tow your trailer, you need to know its tongue weight. This is the weight that the fully loaded trailer exerts downward on the hitch ball of the tow vehicle."
Determining Trailer Tongue Weight | etrailer.com
Old 02-15-2015, 07:49 PM   #73
Community Administrator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Fact check:
Class III hitch and ball mounts can easily be rated for 10,000lb. Like:
Ball Mount 3/4" Rise or 2" Drop, 13-1/4" Long Brophy Ball Mounts BM20

Class IV can go up to 12,000lb
Class V can go up to 16,000lb

Tongue weight and towing capacity are very different measures...and tongue weight can be easily adjusted by the way a trailer is loaded.

The safe towing capacity is determined by taking the tow vehicle's GCWR and subtracting the vehicles loaded weight. So, if the RV has a 33,000lb GCWR and is loaded at or below 23,000lb, it could safely tow 10,000lb.

An advertised 10,000lb towing capability just means the RV has the receiver hitch and capability to tow that weight...easily done.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 08:55 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Fact check:
Class III hitch and ball mounts can easily be rated for 10,000lb. Like:
Ball Mount 3/4" Rise or 2" Drop, 13-1/4" Long Brophy Ball Mounts BM20

Class IV can go up to 12,000lb
Class V can go up to 16,000lb

Tongue weight and towing capacity are very different measures...and tongue weight can be easily adjusted by the way a trailer is loaded.

The safe towing capacity is determined by taking the tow vehicle's GCWR and subtracting the vehicles loaded weight. So, if the RV has a 33,000lb GCWR and is loaded at or below 23,000lb, it could safely tow 10,000lb.

An advertised 10,000lb towing capability just means the RV has the receiver hitch and capability to tow that weight...easily done.

Safe travels
Some people here are confusing "towing capacity" vs "tongue weight" Again the tongues weight is what the tongue can support if a weight is directly positioned on the tongue. Not the weight that it can tow. HUGE difference. Again you cannot put 10K directly on the tongue unless it is just the towing weight. [MOD EDIT]

Because of balanced wheels on the toad the tongue weight might only be exerting 800lbs whereas the towed vehicle itself might weight 10K. The weight of a tt will differ if the stored weight of the vehicle shifts from front to back. That's is when you can exceed the tongue weight. The towing capacity is exactly that. The weight of the vehicle. In my case 4200lbs.
Old 02-15-2015, 09:30 PM   #75
Community Administrator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Tongue weight is VERY different than towing capacity.

In a previous post, doubt was raised that "300HP (could) pull that much weight", but is most surely can.
If anyone is under the belief that 10,000lb can be carried upon the hitch, that is an error.

The Palazzo line is a beautiful group of RV's...and they are very capable.

Safe travels
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 02-16-2015, 01:13 PM   #76

Winnebago Owners Club
This is what we used when towing HEAVY loads (TrailerToad.com). It takes all the weight off the hitch only push/pull and we replace the hitch with a class IV hitch which was also reinforced to the frame to take the added stress. Pulled it with 2 different F53 chassises never had a problem and had heavy brakes on the trailer also. Mountain passes were more like the semis.
goldwingerx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 07:51 PM   #77

CW has heavily reduced the 2014 NEW Palazzos to around $149K. Don't know if I'm allowed to say that but for that price it's a winner all the way around. Yes I've had problems with converter/inverter (needs to be replaced), Electric front shade, minor plumbing, no slide problems ----yet, slide doors come off easily, insulation not adequate, but we just broke 9k mileage and well appreciate the MPG with the RV overweight and pulling a tow vehicle. 300HP with adequate torque at higher speeds sent us over all of the mountain passses so far. Sure there are problems but compared to other RV's I've owned they are acceptable. I had better RV's but I just don't expect the same quality I had 10-20 years ago. Unfortunately. I'll just have to wait and see after extended service.

My X-Mirada had a V-10 8.1 with more HP and more torque and didn't "pull" as good as my Palazzo. Plus it would always go crazy on RPM climbing hills. I've maxed it at 4500RPM many a time with a noise like it was going to explode. I know the diesel in my Palazzo is in the rear but I don't hear it even when it is cranking up the hills. Actually hear the cooling fans before I hear the motor.
Old 02-17-2015, 05:41 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by patch-y View Post
Well....... your comments are interesting....... for each $50k of price increase you can expect $2000 dollar increase in interest payments and 15% annual reduction in vehicle value for depreciation($6500 per year) and at added cost for insurance(lets say $100 per year/$50 k) for a total annual increase over what you are now paying of $8600/year /$50k,

To get a rig with disc brakes you will(if buying new) likely be at $280k or more.....probably at least $100k more than you paid for the palazzo.....(but more likely $120k more than you paid for the Palazzo).......plus your fuel mileage will be down to 8mpg. So for a $280k unit you will be paying around $20k more per year than you are now.......plus more for fuel......

So do it.......what's holding you back???

I can live with the screw for the frig and the quality things I have repaired because I don't want to pay more than I am now......not because I can't afford it....but rather because these RV's are a poor investment......and i want into the RV at minimum financial loss.

WRT disc brakes...... they are a costly item.......the drum brakes are very competent and yes sometimes they squeal after lack of use........

As far as the placement of electrical outlets and noise from the AC location of light switches etc...... I saw that before I bought my unit.....didn't you???

BTW....my neighbor at the campground I am now in has a brand new American Eagle......probably list price $575k or more......and his leveling jacks would not retract and his slide got stuck.....so I guess you will need to buy a coach of even greater value if you are looking for no problems.

I am now in California with my 33.1, from Florida, almost 5000 miles since I started several months ago....and my unit has been good....... average 11mpg, several problems I have repaired......but nothing to whine about. I have another 6 weeks before I get home and.....at the end of the day...... I don't want to spend another dollar on a motor home....

I like my Palazzo.....it is not perfect.......Thor is not perfect......but I like what it is for what I spent......

When I was in Rocky Mountain NP several weeks ago I spoke with a fella who had a brand new Dutch Star......he said he sold his Prevost because he didn't like having so much money into an rv for the amount of use he gave it...he said the Dutch Star was ok......nothing great.......

Buy a new unit with disc brakes and all you want ..... what's holding you back??

regards
rich
x2 on this. We were stretching to be able to afford a DP period so the Palazzo allowed us to get what we wanted at a price point we could afford.
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 06:01 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radidio View Post
CW has heavily reduced the 2014 NEW Palazzos to around $149K. Don't know if I'm allowed to say that but for that price it's a winner all the way around. Yes I've had problems with converter/inverter (needs to be replaced), Electric front shade, minor plumbing, no slide problems ----yet, slide doors come off easily, insulation not adequate, but we just broke 9k mileage and well appreciate the MPG with the RV overweight and pulling a tow vehicle. 300HP with adequate torque at higher speeds sent us over all of the mountain passses so far. Sure there are problems but compared to other RV's I've owned they are acceptable. I had better RV's but I just don't expect the same quality I had 10-20 years ago. Unfortunately. I'll just have to wait and see after extended service.

My X-Mirada had a V-10 8.1 with more HP and more torque and didn't "pull" as good as my Palazzo. Plus it would always go crazy on RPM climbing hills. I've maxed it at 4500RPM many a time with a noise like it was going to explode. I know the diesel in my Palazzo is in the rear but I don't hear it even when it is cranking up the hills. Actually hear the cooling fans before I hear the motor.
Really?.... A 8.1L V-10 was never made. The newer Ford V-10 and 8.1 GM did have more HP but no where near the torque of the Diesel.
Old 02-27-2015, 02:45 PM   #80

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by msturtz View Post
x2 on this. We were stretching to be able to afford a DP period so the Palazzo allowed us to get what we wanted at a price point we could afford.
Buy a high quality used DP for the same price. You'll be much better off, IMO.

Cheers and good luck!
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 11:02 PM   #81

As mentioned above, it really depends on how many days a year you spend in it. I am not retired, and only average 4-6 weeks per year. The coach I purchased met the floor plan I liked, I didn't like a lot of the others, and with the Berkshire of the same floor plan parked side by side, I personally could not justify paying more for what I felt was the same thing.

2013 Palazzo 33.3
HVAC Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 12:22 AM   #82
Community Administrator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha99 View Post
Buy a high quality used DP for the same price. You'll be much better off, IMO.

Cheers and good luck!
Buying new has SO MANY benefits (warranty, finance terms, etc.)...buying used is a whole different animal.

The Palazzo is allowing many, many folks to get into DP's (with a very good Freightliner chassis) that could never have one before, and that is really great. Not everyone can afford or wants a $400,000 DSDP

If I wasn't sold on my Thor Toy Hauler, a Palazzo would be one of the first RV's on my shopping list.

Safe travels
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 02-28-2015, 06:01 AM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Buying new has SO MANY benefits (warranty, finance terms, etc.)...buying used is a whole different animal.

The Palazzo is allowing many, many folks to get into DP's (with a very good Freightliner chassis) that could never have one before, and that is really great. Not everyone can afford or wants a $400,000 DSDP

If I wasn't sold on my Thor Toy Hauler, a Palazzo would be one of the first RV's on my shopping list.

Safe travels

You know I had a 2008 Damon- never actually thought it to be a Thor. I really liked that coach also. Never once went back to dealer or factory for repairs.

Not sure when Damon got bought out by Thor but after owning a Palazzo for 22 months I can very well assure you that Thor of today is no way near the quality and reliability of the Damon of yesterday !!

So for sure keep your Damon that you like. It will save you many headaches over a new palazzo. I speak from experience.

Russell
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 07:36 AM   #84

I think that the industry is trying to bridge-the-gap for us families that want to travel in a DP. This is a new product line for the industry, with Thor leading the way back in '13 with the entry Palazzo DP Line, and now FleetwoodExcursion and FR Legacy lines - even with minor issued here and there on all of these, at least compared to the typical higher end models, it has allowed us to travel in an environment that suits us best - and we've owned a nice newer Blackwood 5th wheel, and more recently a new ClassA Gas FR Georgetown - I'm glad I moved 'up' to a new DP.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote