Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-27-2021, 05:31 PM   #1

Removing passenger side window...DIY or not?

Just want any feedback on removing passenger side window in a 2015 33.2. I need to replace refrigerator. My thought was to purchase new refrigerator at Home Depot. Can park the RV in the HD parking lot. Put out main slide. Then remove window. Then take out broken refrigerator...put in new refer. Then reinstall window! Can have 6 or 7 friends meet at the HD parking lot to lift refrigerator. Has anyone removed the passenger side window? Thanks!
Aloha88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2021, 07:31 PM   #2

I think it could be done, but it would best to have a section of scaffolding to with a fabric moving pad on top of it lay the refrigerator on . Also be sure to get tubes of Geocel Pro Flex Clear Sealant to use when reinstalling the window. Does your Home Depot rent scaffolding ?
Old 09-28-2021, 07:49 PM   #3

I removed my window for the same purpose. The window is the easy part and as you already know, it's just a matter of taking the screws out to remove it, then re-installing it the same way. ( as mentioned, don't forget the caulk). If I had any concern with your plan it would have to do with the manhandling of the new refrigerator while trying to get it through the window. It would really be to your advantage to have access to a forklift with long forks.

Bill
bneiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 09:54 AM   #4

Reseal window?

Bneiva - did you reseal your window with butyl rubber tape after you removed your side window? It is my understanding that the old sealant needs to be removed with a plastic putty knife and cleaned with denatured alcohol. Then new butyl rubber tape installed. Window installed then reseal the top and radius on side with the clear Pro seal.

Also decided to go with the Samsung over the Whirlpool due to reliability issues with compressor on the Whirlpool. Having new refer delivered to my home. I have a 36" x 96" piece of 3/4 plywood that I plan on balancing on top of side window. Maybe leave new refrigerator in cardboard box? Thought was to slide refrigerator on plywood. It weighs 167lbs so 4 strong helpers inside and out should be able to handle. I think we can get in without the plywood easy enough tho...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Samsung (1).pdf (84.5 KB, 12 views)
Old 09-29-2021, 06:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha88 View Post
Bneiva - did you reseal your window with butyl rubber tape after you removed your side window? It is my understanding that the old sealant needs to be removed with a plastic putty knife and cleaned with denatured alcohol. Then new butyl rubber tape installed. Window installed then reseal the top and radius on side with the clear Pro seal.

Also decided to go with the Samsung over the Whirlpool due to reliability issues with compressor on the Whirlpool. Having new refer delivered to my home. I have a 36" x 96" piece of 3/4 plywood that I plan on balancing on top of side window. Maybe leave new refrigerator in cardboard box? Thought was to slide refrigerator on plywood. It weighs 167lbs so 4 strong helpers inside and out should be able to handle. I think we can get in without the plywood easy enough tho...
I did exactly as you described with the window installation. One thing I learned in the past though, I now run a caulk line completely around each window in lieu of just the top and side. I had a leak one time as a result of my shooting water from the ground, up.

When I installed my Samsung, it only took two of us to move the refrigerator through the window. However, we did have access to a forklift. I kept the blades slightly higher than the bottom of the window only because I did not want any weight, or rubbing on the side wall. This is still my concern for what you are planning to do. You have the manpower but there is still plenty of room for an "Ah s---" moment with that kind of off-centered weight. I would still recommend renting scaffolding to stage the refrigerator at the window level. This is just my thought...

Bill
Old 09-30-2021, 11:46 AM   #6

Scaffolding

Thanks for the tip! I can make a support out of 2 x 4's. Thinking about 4 inches over window frame. 6 inches into RV and 2 feet out. 24" wide plywood on top of support. Cross brace support. Small enough that it won't be in the way but strong enough to protect RV.
Old 09-30-2021, 03:37 PM   #7

With that you now have complete control and plenty of stopping points to shift people around. Good luck!

Bill
Old 10-05-2021, 05:58 PM   #8

Quote:

You may want to rethink the Samsung fridge. Check the internet for class action lawsuits with Samsung. They have been having trouble.
ninjalobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 06:20 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I bought a Samsung and used in the new house I was building until I was ready for a larger residential. It worked great.
Then in 2019 I installed in my Monaco. Removed one of the passengers side windows right above the dinette table. I had a tractor with forks on the front. Put a blanket over the forks, laid the refrigerator down, lifted up to window height and slide into the RV with a couple other people.
My window had a silicone type seal around the outside of the window, I used a plastic type scraper to break the seal. There was a compression type weather seal on outside flange of the window, this is the same type of seal you can buy and Lowes or HD. It wasn't damages so I just cleaned up the silicone off the outside of the RV, installed the window, and then used Geocel to seal the window again.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 08:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjalobo View Post
You may want to rethink the Samsung fridge. Check the internet for class action lawsuits with Samsung. They have been having trouble.
I believe the lawsuit you are making reference to took place back in 2010 and the RF 18 model was not involved in that particular lawsuit.

Bill
03 American Tradition
Old 10-06-2021, 09:32 AM   #11

Quote:
Just want any feedback on removing passenger side window in a 2015 33.2. I need to replace refrigerator. My thought was to purchase new refrigerator at Home Depot. Can park the RV in the HD parking lot. Put out main slide. Then remove window. Then take out broken refrigerator...put in new refer. Then reinstall window! Can have 6 or 7 friends meet at the HD parking lot to lift refrigerator. Has anyone removed the passenger side window? Thanks!
My wife and I just finished putting in a residential fridge last week on our Thor Aria. It’s a breeze. A couple moving blankets, a lot of patience, and a plan. Remove caulk, take screws out on inside frame, pop massive window out and do the exchange. Reverse process on the button up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B71F1D43-FB7D-4EE9-B023-CD2318F46F49.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	309.5 KB
ID:	345273  
spinner24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 09:40 AM   #12

Ninjalobo - I was also concerned with reliabilty. The Samsung model RT18M6215SR is the highest rated top freezer bottom fridge on the market. I checked with Consumer Reports CNET and others. It actually has ~50% less 1st year service calls compared to all other brands. I like the dual zone cooling feature as well the more reliable compressor using less amps to start up.

Home Depot is scheduled to deliver October 18th. Will have blankets ready! Also got a 20' roll of the butyl tape sealer if needed. Not sure if I need to move the passenger seat out of the way? Will be ready if needed. Thinking I will have my 6'2" friends on the outside and the shorter friends on the inside when removing old fridge and replacing with the new Samsung.
Old 10-07-2021, 10:29 AM   #13

A year ago my wife and I removed the large Livingroom window getting ready for the Frigidaire refrigerator. We found out the window was big and HEAVY!

We had Lowes deliver the new refrigerator using a truck with a electric tailgate. The Lowes manager + 2 others simply lifted the tailgate UP as far as it would go, then tilted the new refrigerator toward the opening. My wife and I were on the inside. Between the Lowe guys and us we could easily slide it in and stand it up. The Lowes manager said "well that was the easiest home instillation we ever did!.

The hardest part of the entire job was putting that heavy window back into place!
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diy, wind, window