Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-10-2017, 07:14 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Repair of United Shade windshield night shade.

This repair is for defective 12 volt windshield nightshades manufactured by United Shade as came in my Palazzo. It may be applicable to other brands. My first shade failed after 12 months and was covered by warranty. That replacement failed after 15 months. Both failures were intermittent failure to lower and raise, finally ending with no movement at all. Both shades had verified power to the unit from an ignition interlock mounted on the firewall, under the dashboard.
I determined that in both cases, the switch and ignition interlock operated correctly, and the failure was not the motor inside the shade tube, but the limit switches inside the shade tube that set the upper and lower limits of travel. I decided, I did not need the "limits" as everybody in my coach knows enough to release the switch button when the appropriate limits are reached. This repair simply eliminates the limit switches and powers the motor directly. This modification does not affect the ignition interlock that prevents the shade from being lowered while the ignition is on.
Removal of the shade starts with cutting the wires to the shade at the drivers side overhead mount. Eight screws can be removed from the bracket, starting at the ends and finishing in the middle. One person can do this by sitting on the dash.
The shade needs to be set on a table or work surface and the metal end plate removed after removing 4 screws. Next, the tube holding the motor and limit switches is slid out of the shade tube. This tube can be opened on the "wire" end by removing 4 more hex/torx screws. The limit switch assembly can now be slid out, leaving the motor in place. I removed most of the limit components from the plastic frame, un-soldered the power wires and the motor wires from the limit switch, and re-soldered the power wires directly to the motor wires using some heat shrink tubing over the joints. I then slid the modified limit switch assembly back into the motor tube and then the motor tube into the shade tube. The last pic is the pile of scrapped limit switch components that were deleted.
After reinstalling the shade assembly, splice the wires back together at the driver side end. If the operation is opposite of the direction on the switch, reverse the two wires. The repair was relatively easy if you can solder and have torx/hex drivers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0109170931a.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	177.6 KB
ID:	148759   Click image for larger version

Name:	0109171005.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	255.8 KB
ID:	148760  

Name:	0109171015.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	229.7 KB
ID:	148761   Click image for larger version

Name:	0109171046.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	254.3 KB
ID:	148762  

Name:	0109171121.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	235.5 KB
ID:	148763  
Deucerod is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2017, 07:28 AM   #2

nice... we also had ours replaced in the first year. Have not had any issues since, but it's nice to know if I need a project this spring I can take care of this 'limit' issue with the shade. I know it's for safety reasons, and probably required by law, but the reality is I can put my shade all the way down before I crank up, then only run it up halfway if I want the most 'sun' protection when traveling east in the morning, or west in the evening.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 12:19 PM   #3

Thanks ducerod. I have mine out and determined the motor works when attached to a 12 volt battery. I will try your solution.
TK IV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 09:15 PM   #4

Thumbs up Shade Repair

I love this forum. Our coach is stored for the winter season,and I've been trying to make a plan to deal with the shade. It's clear we have the same issue as others on the forum..I will attempt this repair in the spring. My shade was intermittent,then it died totally.
Old 01-17-2017, 02:01 PM   #5

Ducerod,
I modified the motor and it works when attached to 12 volts. Hooked it up in the coach and it did not work. Checked the voltage on the incoming wires and got 7 volts. Removed the breaker fuse in the Freightliner panel and tested voltage. It was 7 volts. Any ideas where to look next?
Old 01-17-2017, 04:38 PM   #6

Ron, power for the blind is coming from the chassis battery. Check voltage at the big input terminal in the lower left corner of the fuse panel. Check if battery is charged, and also check 100Amp circuit breaker in the battery compartment. There are two of them, with yellow flag, one for chassis battery, the other for house battery.
Mike
myarmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 05:16 PM   #7

I will check the items you mentioned. I did check the chassis battery voltage and it was 13.4 volts since the gen set was charging.

Tags
repair