RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-29-2020, 08:12 AM   #1

Replacing my Jensen JRV212t

My original radio has finally bricked. I never had a problem in the past, but when I got the Palazzo back from the upholstery shop I had no camera or radio. Pulled it and checked fuses. Pulled fuse on back of radio and replaced and obviously have power as we have radio static, but after several days, numerous tries at resetting, based on my reading of the experiences of previous owners, I have decided it is time to change it out.

I have ordered what is supposed to be a direct fit replacement, with significant upgrades to capabilities, the Jensen JRV9000R Does anyone have any experience with this changeout? My new unit arrives in a couple of days.
BoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2020, 11:02 AM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
I have done this. Our original Jensen still worked but the screen lights had gone so dim I could not see them. I replaced it with a Kenwood but it was also a direct replacement. You will need the keys that slot in to either side from the front to release it. If you do not have them the keys with the new one may work. Most people tape them to the back of the instruction book. Chances are that the plugs are the same and will fit. If not then there are probably instructions, color coded and possibly actual printed identifiers on the wires.

I want to take the time to mention that it sounds like the antenna was not reconnected when the work was done. If you can get to the back of the unit see if the antenna can be pushed in farther. There is also a slight chance that the antenna cable was damaged farther up or moved so that it was against something carrying voltage that would cause interference. It is usually in the plastic column that runs up the windshield edge in the drivers side. You may need to address that before the new one will work.
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.RVM#189
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 10:04 AM   #3

I had to take my radio unit out and did not have "keys" (mine is the Axxera) for the fairly standard brackets. On mine I used to dinner knives to slide in the sides to press on the brackets and it came right out without special tools.
iluvuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 02:03 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoDu View Post
My original radio has finally bricked. I never had a problem in the past, but when I got the Palazzo back from the upholstery shop I had no camera or radio. Pulled it and checked fuses. Pulled fuse on back of radio and replaced and obviously have power as we have radio static, but after several days, numerous tries at resetting, based on my reading of the experiences of previous owners, I have decided it is time to change it out.

I have ordered what is supposed to be a direct fit replacement, with significant upgrades to capabilities, the Jensen JRV9000R Does anyone have any experience with this changeout? My new unit arrives in a couple of days.
Hey Bob,

We replaced with the same JRV9000R last year and love it. Did you order the wiring harness to convert from 212t to jrv9000r ??? With this wiring harness it is just plug and play.
It's on amazon as Jensen 31100216 Harness to Upgrade JRV212T to JRV9000

Billy
wstrace3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 08:43 PM   #5

Billy. Yes, I ordered the wiring harness as well as the Sirius XM module to permanently add this to the radio. I have started the install, I was really surprised that the frame for the old radio came out so easily.

To install the replacement, I had to use a rasp to open the bottom up a little and widen the corners. I think I have fished all the needed things and am ready to start attaching to the radio. That's for tomorrow! I am glad to hear that you love the radio. It certainly appears to be a lot more capable that what we replaced.

We also just upgraded the main TV and had the furniture reupholstered. With the new tires and batteries, this has become quite the money pit. I think we have decided to keep it for the duration rather that looking for something different.
BoDu is offline   Reply With Quote