Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2019, 04:29 PM   #1

Rude & dangerous campers

Enjoying a weekend camping with my family with 4 grandchildren and then a camper at a site not too far from us who looked like Grizzly Adams starts throwing a knife at the trunk of a pine tree next to his campsite. His aim was perfect , he was talented.

He asked if I wanted to try it. I said no and I thought it wasn’t safe and disrespectful to the other campers, not safe around children and pets. I also told him it surely wasn’t good for the tree. He wasn’t happy with me , but he did stop.

Where has general respect for others understanding how to act safe around others and other people’s property gone.

This left a sad stain on camping today.

Hopefully we have better camping neighbors next time.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2019, 04:40 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
'ol Grizzly there is not used to being in civilized areas. Good thing he wasn't practicing with his 30-06.
Old 04-06-2019, 05:19 PM   #3

Or his bow and arrow .. maybe his spear was out for repairs.. not sure why some things bother others but it wouldn’t bother me and the kids would have loved to try.
Old 04-06-2019, 05:36 PM   #4

Maybe I am just more protective of my grandchildren than most.
Old 04-06-2019, 05:36 PM   #5

How far away was he? As long as the knife isn't ricocheting all over the place and people aren't by the tree, I wouldn't have a problem with it. And I'm pretty sure the tree will be ok also, unless you take a hatchet or something and tare away the bark. Also, he quit when you talked to him.
I would not consider that rude. Maybe their is something missing here.
When we were kids, that's been awhile, lol, we played mumbly peg with a knife. No one got hurt. I suppose one could get hurt if you got careless. I consider this teaching young ones how to handle knives etc.
Camping, ah yes. I kind of miss those days as a youngster.
Old 04-06-2019, 06:18 PM   #6

What about yard darts? Man we’re those fun.. maybe he looked to much like a Harley guy? I know I have seen way worse and more rude.. try going to the sand dunes.. real winners their but I was able to do my own thing. And have fun.

Grand kids will need to get bruises and scabs to have real fun..
Old 04-06-2019, 07:14 PM   #7

We were. About 20 ft on the other side of the tree.
I will refrain from any more comments, sorry if I bothered anyone.
Bye
Old 04-06-2019, 07:30 PM   #8

We had two guys here get into trouble for shooting each other with a 22 rifle while wearing a bullet proof vest to see how it worked. there were no injuries just some bruises. However this was not at a campground
Old 04-06-2019, 07:37 PM   #9

I'm sure the campground owner being private or public would not be OK with someone using a tree as target practice with a knife. Not only is that dangerous for other people in the area, it is damaging to the tree by creating wounds for insect/disease to enter.
It's good the camper stopped his knife throwing, but the incident should have been reported to a Ranger so they could have advised the camper of the park rules.

ky bob"s concern is right on target!
Old 04-06-2019, 08:29 PM   #10

Rude & dangerous campers

Think of all the bucks and forky horns that would be in trouble during rut ..or the bears that claw everything up.. we should arrest them also.. maybe turn them in with all the dogs that relieve themselves on the trees also? Some are just offended to easily .

Bob your not a bother..

Danny? You never had a gun fight with BB guns ? Guess being raised in the city and no supervision has its perks!!
Old 04-06-2019, 09:25 PM   #11

Sometimes I think folks r a little too sensitive
Old 04-06-2019, 09:27 PM   #12

".......who looked like Grizzly Adams starts throwing a knife at the trunk of a pine tree next to his campsite. His aim was perfect , he was talented."

Sounds like no harm/no foul

Title ...Rude & Dangerous campers
Thought thread was going to be about drunk & rowdy group
Old 04-06-2019, 09:36 PM   #13

About six years ago we returned from Huntsville to our campsite at Cagle CG. The guard at the entrance says to me, after I told him who we were and what site we were on:" Oh, you are the one that has been pounding nails in the trees around here!"
I let the DW out, told her to stay right there and I would be right back. I was absolutely livid!!
Drove to our site, grabbed the large plastic bag filled with spikes, nails, deck screws, even pieces of wire that had been tied around trees. Then drove up to the guard and handed him the bag. I asked:" Does this look like I was pounding things into the trees or doing your damned job of making sure these pieces of crap wouldn't be left to injure the trees?"
I have done a lot of tree felling and firewood making and know what metal can do to a chain saw.
I always believe in leaving a CG better than I found it. Only wish others felt the same!!
Old 04-06-2019, 09:51 PM   #14

Hmm, tuff call. Unless the alleged knife thrower was throwing knives in the direction of others, I think he was not doing to much harm. Wasn’t there, so tuff to agree this was dangerous behavior