Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-08-2014, 06:56 AM   #1

Slide Gear Chews up motor wire harness

I am going to keep on the subject of Thor sucks this AM and here is the reason why. Now, a lot of you regulars know me very well now. You know all the problems I have had with my numerous Palazzo's. For the newbies, just read and when you have a chance, look at my history and you will understand where I am coming from.

So, in the latest Palazzo saga that will help keep my name "Palazzoblues" stick is what happened to it last night. Here I am getting ready to clean it up and stock it with our usual stuff to go on another wonderful trip. Then BAM! of all the slide outs, the smallest on of them all on the 35.1 (being the dinning table and TV slide out) dies.

After some initial trouble shooting I found the horrible situation. At the bottom of the slide where the rail meets the gears in the wall, it had sucked in the motor hire harness and chewed it up.

Okay, so now that I see what happened, being the technically inclined person that I am I go into fix mode. I unplugged the motors from the control board and begin my surgical procedure repair the wires by cutting them and re-soldering them back together.

When my excellent job was finished I thought is was all fixed. Wrong! The motor connected to the side where the wires got chewed up would not work. It would actually run for about 1 second and stop. So then I decided to swap the controller with the one on the rear. Well, after doing so that did not fix the problem either. There were still some flashing error codes on the controller.

So then I decided to swap the motors. After doing so, the problem moved with the same motor. So now I have a bad motor. I am getting ready to call Thor and I am mad. I hope venting here had calmed me down a little, as I don't have time for this crap.

Road Master base plates
Palazzoblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2014, 09:44 AM   #2

Blues,

I am sorry to hear of your continued troubles, even though I didn't have the magnitude of problems that you, Allen and James have had, your stories are one of the major reasons I gave up the ship and got rid of my Palazzo, the fear that my luck would run out every time I deployed the slides was not worth the worry.

I am very happy with my new Newmar Dutch Star, it has made all the difference in the world in my RVing experience. I can attest that not all new coaches have problems, and guess what, I have not found one screw laying around in the coach, and after the Thor experience we have been looking

I realize this kind of jump is not within everyone's budget, but I now realize you get what you pay for, and after two Thor products I see I would have been money ahead to have just gone with the Newmar in the beginning .

Everybody says buy your third coach first, but what fun would that be

I hope things work out for you and the others.

Bill
OC Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:56 AM   #3

Life lessons

Bill, thanks for your thoughts. We all make mistakes. Some of us make more mistakes than others. Companies make mistakes. Thor has definitely made more than others. I am young enough to where I hope I can learn from my mistake and correct it at some point in time. Thor Motor Coach should be reading these threads and listening to their customers to correct all their mistakes. By that, I mean they should take care of their existing customers by doing what's right. I don't mean ship them parts when they need them or trying to get them scheduled for Elkhart service when no one else can fix these bad Palazzo problem, but I am talking about the kind of solutions that mean making huge sacrifices for us customers with all these problems. (If you know what I mean) I think in this situation Thor has a whole lot more to lose that I do.
Road Master base plates
Palazzoblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 12:34 PM   #4

Evergreen Owners Club
Palzzoblues, I had great LUCK with my Palazzo but I did have too sell it " maybe blessing in dis-kyse " I don't no" , But if I where in your shoe's I would trade it in or sell it and by a Newmar , Thor sell's to us entry level customer's that don't realize what an extra 20 or $ 30 k for a coach does in form's of reliability . We as entry level buyer's pay $ 150 k for a RV is huge for us so when we look at Rv's in the 180 k+ range we settle for the cheaper one , because we just don't understand yet . and there will alway's be these first time buyer's. Even thow my palzzo was fine I was always worried about that large slide every time I opened it, that kind of stress you don't need when you are supposed to be on vacation relaxing . I think Thor could fix all there small and large problem but then there price would go up .and they wouldn't be the most sold class A rv
I do hope that everyone that has problem's get's them taking care because everyone has made a big dollar purchase from where im standing .
good luck to all
mike
Old 05-08-2014, 04:55 PM   #5

Hi Blues,
I am sorry you are having yet ANOTHER Palazzo problem! Newest problem for us, generator won't start. Rick is troubleshooting, I am fed up..................
Karen
RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide