Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-08-2014, 09:18 AM   #1

Solenoid

A Question:

Our continuous duty solenoid located in the inverter bay is "hot" to the touch when both the "Use Switch" is OFF (house/coach batteries) and the rotary battery switch for the Chassis/Starting batteries is OFF. The solenoid is hot enough that you cannot keep your hand on it very long.

Is your solenoid "hot" with both switches turned "OFF" ?

Thanks !
User1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2014, 09:32 AM   #2

I'm, assuming the coach is still hooked to shore power.
My coach the BIRD battery charging system , activates the solenoid/relay to charge both sets of batteries, and it is hot to the touch. System works the same when the engine is running to charge all batteries from the alternator. The only time the solenoid is in-active is engine off, no shore power, hence the size and the designation , constant duty.
Old 06-08-2014, 10:07 AM   #3

the solenoid will run about 115 degrees, I talked to mfg, they said it is normal, however, I put a switch between the bird and solenoid, it will always be engaged unless one set of batteries coach or chassis goes below 12.2 volts this is how you maintain charge for both set of batteries
et_ky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 10:23 AM   #4

the solenoid needs to overcome a powerful spring which engages a big contactor (hence why it is hot)... look at the size of those wires that attaches to it, thats alot of amps that need to go through the contactor.
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 10:38 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
I'm, assuming the coach is still hooked to shore power.
My coach the BIRD battery charging system , activates the solenoid/relay to charge both sets of batteries, and it is hot to the touch. System works the same when the engine is running to charge all batteries from the alternator. The only time the solenoid is in-active is engine off, no shore power, hence the size and the designation , constant duty.
No shore power.
Old 06-08-2014, 12:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redridge View Post
the solenoid needs to overcome a powerful spring which engages a big contactor (hence why it is hot)... look at the size of those wires that attaches to it, thats alot of amps that need to go through the contactor.

Every thing is OFF --- Shore power unhooked, switch in "store mode", rotary switch in OFF position.

The voltage in both banks of batteries (house/starting) is 13.8 and 14.0.
Both are maintained by solar panels. Solar panels are wired directly to the batteries.

I would think that there shouldn't be any AMPS going through the solenoid when it is not supplying anything and everything is off.
Old 06-08-2014, 12:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by et_ky View Post
the solenoid will run about 115 degrees, I talked to mfg, they said it is normal, however, I put a switch between the bird and solenoid, it will always be engaged unless one set of batteries coach or chassis goes below 12.2 volts this is how you maintain charge for both set of batteries
Who are you referring to when you say, "mfg" ? Thor or the manufacturer of the solenoid?

Did you put the switch between the bird and the solenoid to break the power to the solenoid when you are not using the coach?
Old 06-08-2014, 07:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LT View Post
Every thing is OFF --- Shore power unhooked, switch in "store mode", rotary switch in OFF position.

The voltage in both banks of batteries (house/starting) is 13.8 and 14.0.
Both are maintained by solar panels. Solar panels are wired directly to the batteries.

I would think that there shouldn't be any AMPS going through the solenoid when it is not supplying anything and everything is off.
IMO, you should not shut off the rotary switch at all, since you installed the solar... Your solar is charging up your coach batteries, when the BIRD senses the coach batteries above 13.3v, the BIRD will energize the solenoid and try to charge the chassis batteries. But, with the rotary disconnected it cant charge the batteries.

Maybe this will help you...
http://bacrallies.com/PDF/PDF%20Manu...D%20Diesel.pdf
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:51 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redridge View Post
IMO, you should not shut off the rotary switch at all, since you installed the solar... Your solar is charging up your coach batteries, when the BIRD senses the coach batteries above 13.3v, the BIRD will energize the solenoid and try to charge the chassis batteries. But, with the rotary disconnected it cant charge the batteries.

Maybe this will help you...
http://bacrallies.com/PDF/PDF%20Manu...D%20Diesel.pdf
We have solar panels that charge ALL batteries on board - coach and chassis batteries. Tried the link (above) -- unsuccessful. Did a copy and paste and all kinds of stuff came up -

The solenoid registered 127 degrees with a infrared temp gun.

Have left an email for Thor to see if a tech can help us sort this out.
Old 06-09-2014, 10:36 AM   #10

yes the mfg of solenoid, they also said they were working on a larger new one. I am old school solenoid/relays usually run hot because of to much voltage/amp or not making good contact. that is why I got involved. I put a switch between the bird and the solenoid. it sorta defeats the purpose of charging both batteries, however it makes me feel safer.
Old 06-09-2014, 10:37 AM   #11

also the tech at the solenoid mfg said they could be as hot as 140 degrees and be ok, I also shot mine with infra red heat gun.
Old 06-09-2014, 10:40 AM   #12

also, just because you shut off switches on batteries doesn't break connection from coach battery to chassis battery only that solenoid does.
Old 06-09-2014, 10:52 AM   #13

et_ky

Thank you for the responses on the solenoid questions.

Is the switch you installed between the bird and the solenoid on the 'ground' wire?

Do you shut it off during storage and then turn it on when underway?