Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-11-2019, 05:36 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ky bob View Post
Hi, What was a price for repairing the wet bay ?
How much time did it take for them to replace the wet bay flooring ?

Bob
It took him a total of about 10 hours over 2 days. He replaced the floor and the wall on the side towards the front of the coach. Just under $1257 total.
vmyoung61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2022, 05:20 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ky bob View Post
I have 2 of my storage bays with the flooring that is soft. This tells me that the wood has soaked up water & is rotting. I will need to replace it within the next few months.

The replacement product from Thor is very expensive. They call it Pebble Board and it is plywood with plastic panels glued to both sides of it. It must be ordered thru a Thor dealer and I was told there is now a long wait to get it as the supplier is backlogged.

I have an idea for a possible replacement. Tell me what you think of it.

Home depot sells 4 ft X 8 ft pressure treated marine grade plywood in various thicknesses. I would be looking for 5/8" or 3/4" thick plywood for the storage bay flooring.

They also sell 4 ft X 8 ft sheets of FRP wall panels that is .090 thick.

FRP is (Fiberglass Reinforced Plastic) This is used often on bathroom walls in restaurants, department stores etc.

My idea is to purchase the adhesive for the FRP panels (from Home Depot also) and glue the FRP panels to the top and bottom of the plywood.

Then I would have a panel for my flooring with the plastic on top & bottom that looks about the same as Thor's "Pebble Board" they use when building new Palazzo coaches.

The pebble board flooring in the storage bay sits down in angle iron frames. I would apply silicone caulk sealer on the angle iron, then install the new homemade "Pebble Board" panel into the angle iron frame and use self drilling 1-1/2" long TEK screws to hold it down. (also avail at Home Depot)

I would apply a bead of silicone caulk sealer on the underside where the panel meets the frame.

After the silicone dried, I would then spray the bottom FRP panel (facing the road) with a rubberized undercoating spray from an auto parts store (available in a spray can)

The final step would be to put a bead of white caulking on the inside of the storage bay where the wall meets the floor to give it a finished look.

What do you think ? let me know if you have any other ideas.

Bob
Bob,
Did you do the repair as you intended? Or, did you make any changes to your plan? How did it turn out?
Thanks,
DavidB1
Old 08-08-2022, 03:21 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBanwarth View Post
Bob,
Did you do the repair as you intended? Or, did you make any changes to your plan? How did it turn out?
Thanks,
DavidB1
DavidB1, if you are interested I replaced all my RV's basement flooring with 3/16" aluminum: https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/202...um-551959.html
jtreminio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 08:38 AM   #18

Hello Dave and Linda, I purchased the Coosa Composite Board for mine, but i have been so busy I haven't installed it yet. I got the 1/2" thick board. It is strong and lightweight/ I will paint the top side with outdoor rated BINZ white paint and may undercoat the bottom . This stuff will not absorb any water. I will use Pro Flex to do all the sealing needed between the Coosa Board and the angle iron it drops into. I will also use stainless steel screws and nuts in any place I need to seam it together. Hopefully, some day soon I will be able to install it in the open bay and the wet bay with the water tank. I read that someone installed new flooring in the bay with the tank without needing to remove the tank, so hopefully I can do the same. Here is a link to the Coosa Board product. This is one reseller, there are more across the U.S.

https://www.boatoutfitters.com/coosa...1=1112&215=249
Old 08-09-2022, 10:28 AM   #19

Bob,
Thanks very much for your response. The link was very educational and I see the big advantage of Coosa; i.e. do it once and never worry about it again it seems. Not sure which way we will go yet. Seems the main issue with any plywood (pressure treated or marine grade) is to seal the edges well to guard against delamination and rot. If I go the plywood method, I am thinking that I might use aluminum skin underneath and protect against electrolysis with rubberized bedding tape for the panels to lie on and separate them from the steel frame. Lots to consider. Good luck with your project! I think you are on a good track.
Dave and Linda
Old 08-09-2022, 10:30 AM   #20

jtriminio, Thanks for the input. Yours turned out beautifully!
Old 09-18-2022, 12:10 PM   #21

Great Idea!

Ky Bob -

I think that's a great idea, because that is exactly what I've been planning to do for my two front bays! My wet bay and large pass-thru storage bays had been warping as well, but I had Thor replace those when I was having other work done. They also welded additional support beams under both of those floors.

But can't seem to completely stop the water from coming in the doors while under way in a heavy rain. So I've added additional weatherstripping to the doors, trying to find a balance between sealing out the water while still allowing the doors to close relatively easily. As a final measure, everything in my pass-thru bay is in Rubbermaid tubs! So while I still get water at times, a quick wipe (well, sometimes soaking then wiping!) takes care of the problem.

- TC
coeranch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, floor, flooring, replace, replacement, storage