Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-10-2017, 12:23 PM   #1

Suggestions for Toad Braking

I'm looking for some input on the type of braking system for towing my 2011 Honda CR-V. The RV is a Palazzo 33.2. The Honda weighs about 3100 lbs. The service manager where I purchased said that the 33.2 would handle the CR-V just fine on its own, but to be legal I'd need some sort of braking assist. He showed me the SMI Air Force One as the high end ($2500 installed) and the 39500 Digital Classic Braking Buddy as the low end (($1200). I'm curious as to what the group's experience has been using the Palazzo to pull a vehicle and the type of braking assist that has worked (or not).

Advice appreciated!
HobieBaxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2017, 12:32 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ready Brute Elite towing a Jeep Grand Cherokee http://www.readybrake.com/store/c2/RV_Tow_Bars.html
Berlin Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 12:40 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I highly recommend the NSA ReadyBrake system! We have the ReadyBrute Elite towbars with built-in ReadyBrake, but you can buy it separately! Don't understand why anyone would pay big bucks for the fancy ones out there when this one will get the job done, simply!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 12:46 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had the Invisibrake installed in my Jeep Liberty. Easy to hook up with no problems. Now I'm using Brake Buddy Vantage Select. It too is good but there are a few more steps involved in getting it hooked up. But the advantage of using it is that it can be easily transferred to another vehicle.
gmadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 12:54 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I'd recommend the RoadMaster BrakeMaster 9160 unit. Been using one for many years with no trouble
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 12:56 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
In my option it really comes down to personal preference. Cost, reliability, warranty & service, and how much is involved in hooking/unhooking your toad. For me, I choose the SMI Air Force1. It is installed on my 14 Honda CRV. It requires no more work than hook up and go. No fuse pulling/disabling or brake armature to set up every time. It can be removed and reinstalled but it will take 4 about hours to do that. My toad is the only thing I will be towing so it wasn't that difficult of a decision. Other systems require you to attach an armature to the brake petal and plug in to the 12v adapter for power and possibly pulling/disabling a fuse. The other factor that some are concerned about is with the AF1 you'll have to tap into the existing air line for pressure to the braking piston installed on the brake petal.

Do your research and get several bids to suit your needs...
Old 07-10-2017, 12:58 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I highly recommend the NSA ReadyBrake system! We have the ReadyBrute Elite towbars with built-in ReadyBrake, but you can buy it separately! Don't understand why anyone would pay big bucks for the fancy ones out there when this one will get the job done, simply!

Joe, have you had any problems with the cable rubbing and wearing in the cable guide? I installed one on a friends jeep and he is concerned that the cable may shread from the rubbing.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 01:17 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
I know of one instance that that the cable wore and broke. Mine has worn the plastic sheath on the cable where it goes through the guide but the steel cable is unaffected. Easy to inspect when connecting. I learned the hard way to use a bungee cord from the brake pedal to the front seat to keep the pedal pulled back when the brake isn't being applied.
Berlin Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 02:25 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Suggestions for Toad Braking

Thought I would add one more to the mix. We tow a jeep wrangler with the Blue Ox system. Tow bar, light wiring and braking system. The braking unit sits on the drivers side floor and connects to the brake pedal. As mentioned it does need to plug into a 12volt source. However it does have an internal battery in the unit. Easy connect and found the whole system online at hitchsource.com. The brake unit was about $1,100 and has worked well coast to coast over the last 2 plus years.
Rwstoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 02:54 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I like my Even Brake. Fairly simple to setup unit for towing; removable clamp on brake pedal, plug for radio linked unit on motorhome dash and one into lighter socket. Run built-in test and adjust seat as needed. Takes longer to get it out of bay and walk back to truck than it does to setup.

I did the installation myself in a couple of hours. Hardest part was adding a switch to the brake pedal bracket, which is not required for all vehicles. It was only hard because I am 6' 3" and nowhere as thin as I used to be. lol

Looks like this one:
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...rds=even+brake
Old 07-10-2017, 04:24 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
I use the Blue Ox tow bar set-up with the Brake Buddy Vantage unit to tow my 5215 lb Jeep with not problems!
Don Voyage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 04:32 PM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanerd View Post
Joe, have you had any problems with the cable rubbing and wearing in the cable guide? I installed one on a friends jeep and he is concerned that the cable may shread from the rubbing.

Ron

Nope. The only thing negative I have read was about the cables being crimped with the insulating jacket inside the clamp.
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 06:12 PM   #13

Any problem with the Vantage Select running down your car battery?
HobieBaxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 06:56 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
There is a wire running in the harness that connects to the battery and it keeps it charged.
gmadams is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad