Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-12-2015, 08:52 PM   #1

SuperSteer Trim Unit Installation (DIY)

Here is a DIY of the supersteer trim unit for the Safe T Plus steering dampner. I did some research on the unit, but its not very well documented on fitment on the XCS chassis or ANY installation pics or videos at the least. So we’ll see if this is a good fit for our chassis.

First, some background why I went this route.

Two winters ago, I installed a Safe T Plus unit. It took me a couple of tries to calibrate the unit. Shortly after, during the beginning of summer, I had an air suspension failure (not related to the safe T Plus) and had to take it in Frieghtliner under warranty. While at Freightliner to get the suspension resolved, I had a front alignment done since it will be the first time getting it checked out. The alignment was tweeked a little resulting another calibration of the safe T plus… no problem, got it to drive very nicely. Fast forward to winter… on the way down to South Carolina, the coach was pulling to the right, huh? I fought the steering all the way down and back. So I re-calibrated the Safe T Plus again. Fast forward again to spring on to another long trip south… now its pulling to the left… What is going on? Well it turns out that our Palazzo is very sensitive to weight. During winter, we don’t carry water (very little), During summer we are very heavy (full water)…. maybe its the “L” shaped water tank that throws off the weight (my guess)… initially we did weigh our MH, but honestly… I really can’t shift the weight to much that will make much of a difference, its just the nature of the coach…. I like to drive the MH where the steering is neutral when driving straight on level road. Having these seasonal weight shifts on the coach is only ideal for the Safe T Plus during winter or summer, not both, since I am always driving on the “load” side of the dampner when it is no longer calibrated (most likely winter time since we travel shorter trip duration. So, my solution is to use the super steer trim unit to calibrate the safe T plus, rather than having to keep calibrating it manually. Anyway, here is on ongoing DIY installation.. I really hope this unit fits.

Here are some pics of the SSteer… the black round unit is an air brake canister. It pushes down a piston that keeps constant pressure on a pusher cylinder (brass thingy) to lock a sliding bolt in place.

Here is the brake canister attached to the bolt sleeve, the bolt is inside the sleeve that slide side to side. The brake canister locks this bolt from moving side to side. When you press a button, the air to the brake canister releases and unlocks the bolt. When you release the button and find the new calibration of the safe t plus (by turning the steering wheel), the air is brought back to the brake canister and locks the bolt again. This pic shows a mock up of the bracket that attaches to the axle side. The double flange on the bolt sleeve is where the fixed side of the safe t plus attaches to.

This pic shows the channel on the bolt. This is where the pusher cylinder puts pressure on the channel and locks it in place.

Bracket installed on passenger side. I had to remove the old safe t plus bracket and use a new included bracket.

this is the safe t plus bracket.

Super Steer Unit installed via 2 “U” clamps. The brake Canister does not move at all, only the bolt moves side to side.

Here is another angle, and with the Safe T plus mounted. The red cap on the brake canister is where the air attachment connects to.

That’s it for now… next step is to check for clearance or any binding issues… If this checks out, its a keeper and on to install the air lines and solenoid valve and pushbutton....more to come.
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2015, 09:00 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
You will enjoy the Henderson's TRIM unit.........I do. Sanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 06:16 AM   #3

Go write up and pictures Redridge. I had the safe-t-plus on my palazzo. This looks like a very good addition.

Russell
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 03:48 PM   #4

Part 2….

Looks like the unit clearance looks pretty good aired up and down… left & right steering, no issues. It hangs maybe an .5” lower than the original safe t Plus mounting bracket. I can live with that… on to finalizing the project.

I tapped into the utility manifold… Im not sure what reservoir that uses but its easy this way.

Mounted the solenoid valve… input air is port #3 (middle), output port #2 goes to the brake canister by the axle. Port #1 is the exhaust to atmosphere… the bottom port is a 6" short air nipple.

Here is the input to the brake canister from port #2 from the air valve…

A wider view…

This is where I mounted the switch to activate the solenoid valve.

The tape shows how much trim you can have…. basically a 1/2 wheel, thats pretty good.

I need to test drive it and see how this goes… will do a write up on my impression.
Old 06-13-2015, 08:56 PM   #5

I probably missing something in your pictures, but it looks like it is bolted to stationary suspension components on both sides. I have TruCenter and it is connected to a tie rod by u-bolts on driver's side and stationary mounted on passenger side.
I like your "mission critical" switch. I have foot switch for my TruCenter.
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07055.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	391.7 KB
ID:	97199  
myarmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 06:53 AM   #6

the other side of the safe t plus is attached to the tie rod... I forgot to mention that. Here is what it looks like... love the foot switch, did that come with the true center? The super steer did not come with the switch cover... its more for adding bulk to the switch so I can easily find it driving at night... and I think it looks cool.

Old 06-14-2015, 07:38 AM   #7

Now I see it thanks. Nice installation, I like that it doesn't sit much lower than other steering links. TruCenter is much lower, I even consider modifying brackets to raise it slightly. TruCenter came with a push button, the foot switch was separate.
Mike
Old 06-14-2015, 12:48 PM   #8

Thanks Mike....

Ok… I took the Palazzo for a 2 hour drive and I can say that this has been the best mod Ive done. Through the backroads, it was hard to center the wheels, almost useless… but once on the highway it only took a few minute drive to find the sweet spot. Got on a straight flat highway, point the coach to where you want it to go and lift up on the switch a second or 2. Once you let go of the switch, the trim is locked. The steering becomes light, the safe T plus becomes neutral, this is the sweet spot. It came to the point where the MH was tracking so straight that I was practically driving with no hands… I won’t say for how long, but it was long enough to be satisfied with the setting that I drove the rest of the 1.5 hours not touching the switch. Now, it seems that my steering input becomes more subtle. Im not fighting the safe t plus on load all the time… make a subtle steer input, hold, then let the safe t plus bring it back to center… I don’t feel like I have to have a heavy hand, no constant steering. Driving is more relaxed. As for Trucks passing by…. nothing, no backlash… that was a surprise. Maybe 4-5 trucks passed me and each one passing with no drama at 65mph…. the Palazzo stayed straight. Wind… no wind today so I can’t comment on that. Overall… this is how it should come from the factory. Everyone should have this option and experience such a pleasurable drive. Yep… Im sold.
Old 06-14-2015, 01:40 PM   #9

Yes, exactly me experience with TruCenter. The systems are very similar, one is air activated the other is all electric.
Old 06-16-2015, 07:14 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
I installed a tru center on a 2001 Allegro Bus. After install I got steering squeal from the steer box. Freightliner said they were unrelated, but I always wanted to ask the board and never remember to.

Has anyone experienced steering squeal after installing a steering stabilizer?

I enjoyed the tru center, and the install was very simple, awkward (heavy)... but simple. I haven't gone down that road with our Palazzo yet.

I installed the toggle button on the dash. Never considered a foot control! That would have been even better.
Uber_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 07:49 PM   #11

I have read that these trim units will add straight on the power steering box... I believe that is the case since these are steering dampners. It was designed to make resistance to the steering system. But, steering squeal can happen even without these steering dampners. An example is steering while a vehicle is stopped. This can be hard on the steering box, so make sure the fluids are topped off.
Old 07-01-2015, 12:54 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
We're all glad you like it Redridge.

Old 08-17-2015, 02:02 PM   #13

So, Ive driven the STP trim unit about 7K miles so far... and I love the handling of the coach even more... it comes to a point where the MH doesn't seem so big, less tiring and pleasant to drive. Its great on crowned roads, windy stretches, passing semis and a dream when cruise control is set. Steering feedback is more pronounced and direct but light when there is no load on the steering wheel. Trim adjustment is very quick with the foot switch while having both hands still on the steering wheel... by having proper weight distribution, proper tire pressure and the STP trim unit on the coach.... it feels like a million dollar coach.... so yeah, Im happy with this mod.
Old 08-18-2015, 08:05 AM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
You know, I get a lot of calls from guys who go out and buy a motor home that says "Man, after a few hundred miles, I'm tiered. I'm always having to work to drive this thing"

I tell them, "If you are driving a motor home, 9 times out of 10, it is to relax. If you are having to work to keep the thing going down the road, you're NOT relaxing and you're not happy."

Once again. Great job on the install and thanks for the update

Tags
install