Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-22-2012, 02:05 PM   #169

Quote:
Originally Posted by go6car View Post
Anyone have any real-world on-the-road feedback on the new Thor Palazzo yet?

Love the look of them, but so far nothing on the 'net I've found about any ride/drive experiences.

Would a short diesel like this still ride better than a new gasser of similar length (~34')?

Thanks, in advance, for any feedback!
I purchased a Palazzo model 33.2 on 30JUN12. I have about 6,000 miles on it now and will say that I really enjoy the large storage space; ride; power and quiet of a rear engine diesel. I purchased my Palazzo from Lazydays in Tampa, FL. I am getting about 10 mpg whereas my old 27 ft. Baystar ran about 6 mpg. So, I have a lot more coach and increased fuel economy. The increased power (over my old Baystar with a gas engine) has been really great driving in NM & CO mountains.

I have many issues with the Palazzo with their lack of quality control. The problems began with all the fasteners, holding the bay floors to the side-wall, ripping out the first time we used the leveling jacks -- Lazydays repaired this. On our 2,000 mile drive home, I kept noticing ash on the bed side tables -- upon investigating, I found that TMC didn't seal the bed platform from the engine compartment. The ash was from the DEF system operation. The biggest headache is the long long slide which most of the time will not retract properly -- I think it is an engineering design flaw and am still trying to get it fixed. I think the slide is too long and heavy for the Lippert system which moves the slide.
billyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2012, 02:14 PM   #170

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyo View Post

I purchased a Palazzo model 33.2 on 30JUN12. I have about 6,000 miles on it now and will say that I really enjoy the large storage space; ride; power and quiet of a rear engine diesel. I purchased my Palazzo from Lazydays in Tampa, FL. I am getting about 10 mpg whereas my old 27 ft. Baystar ran about 6 mpg. So, I have a lot more coach and increased fuel economy. The increased power (over my old Baystar with a gas engine) has been really great driving in NM & CO mountains.

I have many issues with the Palazzo with their lack of quality control. The problems began with all the fasteners, holding the bay floors to the side-wall, ripping out the first time we used the leveling jacks -- Lazydays repaired this. On our 2,000 mile drive home, I kept noticing ash on the bed side tables -- upon investigating, I found that TMC didn't seal the bed platform from the engine compartment. The ash was from the DEF system operation. The biggest headache is the long long slide which most of the time will not retract properly -- I think it is an engineering design flaw and am still trying to get it fixed. I think the slide is too long and heavy for the Lippert system which moves the slide.
I have not noticed any ash or other residue but I wonder if there is something we should be looking for to check? I have put less than 2K miles on my 33.1.
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 05:58 PM   #171

Question: I have seen several folks on this thread say it is a problem having the DEF tank on the passenger side since the DEF fill is on the driver's side at the truck stop. My Palazzo has fuel fillers on both sides of the coach. Why is it an issue to fuel from the passenger side so you can also access the DEF tank?
Old 12-22-2012, 07:32 PM   #172

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVRandy View Post
Question: I have seen several folks on this thread say it is a problem having the DEF tank on the passenger side since the DEF fill is on the driver's side at the truck stop. My Palazzo has fuel fillers on both sides of the coach. Why is it an issue to fuel from the passenger side so you can also access the DEF tank?
It is not an issue if it is not a problem going into the truck stop pump lane in the opposite direction the normal traffic flow at the pumps. If the truck stop is not busy and DEF lanes are not in use, maybe not a problem.

What may be a bigger problem is getting the DEF nozzle into the tank far enough to fill. I have had to resort to put DEF into a container then later use a long funnel to put into the tank.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:35 PM   #173

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
I fill our DEF tank the same way. Picked up a 5 gal jug that I fill at the pump. I fill the DEF tank at the next rest break. Try not to let the tank get below 1/4 full.
tcopeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:10 PM   #174

We had soot in our bedroom from a faulty wheel seal which allowed grease to get into the brakes and cause the smoke to come in. Had to have the seal replaced at Knoxville Freightliner under warranty. The technician shut the MH down in gear and caused the computer to not shift properly. We had to be towed the next day to an Allison repair shop 40 miles away. Luckily the Allison tech got it calibrated so we could get back on the road. Freightliner wouldn't touch the transmission.

I advise anyone who drives your MH to always set the brakes and shift to neutral before shitting off the engine or you may have to have the transmission shifter calibrated.

Bill
Palazzo 33.1
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
SteelerFan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:04 PM   #175

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerFan22 View Post
We had soot in our bedroom from a faulty wheel seal which allowed grease to get into the brakes and cause the smoke to come in. Had to have the seal replaced at Knoxville Freightliner under warranty. The technician shut the MH down in gear and caused the computer to not shift properly. We had to be towed the next day to an Allison repair shop 40 miles away. Luckily the Allison tech got it calibrated so we could get back on the road. Freightliner wouldn't touch the transmission.

I advise anyone who drives your MH to always set the brakes and shift to neutral before shitting off the engine or you may have to have the transmission shifter calibrated.

Bill
Palazzo 33.1
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Good information!
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:53 PM   #176

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Good to know........ thanks
tcopeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:13 PM   #177

Palazzo awning

Hi thanks for the help in advance. I am currently trying to get into a palazzo but not had the chance to get in one yet.( closest one being 5 hrs). I am looking at the 36.1 any pros or cons? Anyone have one yet ? Also this would apply to anybody palazzo I was curious on a couple things

1. What type of awing material is it the good cloth or the crappy vinyl
2. Are the TVs led or LCD
3. The tv and DVD system looks fairly generic is that all is comes with or is there a ditrobution box that lets u select between sat and antenna and cable and such

Again thanks is again
Mack1roc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:30 PM   #178

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack1roc View Post
Hi thanks for the help in advance. I am currently trying to get into a palazzo but not had the chance to get in one yet.( closest one being 5 hrs). I am looking at the 36.1 any pros or cons? Anyone have one yet ? Also this would apply to anybody palazzo I was curious on a couple things

3. The tv and DVD system looks fairly generic is that all is comes with or is there a ditrobution box that lets u select between sat and antenna and cable and such

Again thanks is again
Interesting questions. I have wondered if the 36.1 would be underpowered but no experience. Some say the 33.xs are underpowered but I prefer good mileage to high power.

TVs are Jensen built for RV. Friends have commented on how sharp the picture is but that is partly a factor that they are not huge. I am betting on whatever is the least expensive but no matter, they look great.

There is a distribution box and a DVD player. One gotcha is that the DVD player says 1080p resolution but that does not mean it will play BluRay. Also to play DVD requires both selecting DVD on box and changing input on TV.

I have not looked closely at the awning. Only had it out twice.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:09 PM   #179

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack1roc View Post

Again thanks is again
Don't know anything about the 36.1 model but I would be interested in reading some comments.

I have used my awing several times and it appears to be a good quality cloth fabric.

I replaced the provided DVD player with a Blue Ray player because most of my DVDs are Blue Ray and would not play on the one provided.

Thanks!
Old 01-03-2013, 07:56 AM   #180

Blue Ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butte64 View Post
Interesting questions. I have wondered if the 36.1 would be underpowered but no experience. Some say the 33.xs are underpowered but I prefer good mileage to high power.

TVs are Jensen built for RV. Friends have commented on how sharp the picture is but that is partly a factor that they are not huge. I am betting on whatever is the least expensive but no matter, they look great.

There is a distribution box and a DVD player. One gotcha is that the DVD player says 1080p resolution but that does not mean it will play BluRay. Also to play DVD requires both selecting DVD on box and changing input on TV.

I have not looked closely at the awning. Only had it out twice.
Speaking of Blue Ray - I'm about to add a Blue Ray player to my Palazzo 3.2 and I'm pretty sure there is no HDMI cable running to the TV from the DVD cabinet. I think I'm going to have to mount the player in a different location so I can string an HDMI cable to it. Right? Anyone want to save me the trouble and give me a different method?

Bill Martin
DP Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:08 AM   #181

Quote:
Originally Posted by DP Guy View Post
Speaking of Blue Ray - I'm about to add a Blue Ray player to my Palazzo 3.2 and I'm pretty sure there is no HDMI cable running to the TV from the DVD cabinet. I think I'm going to have to mount the player in a different location so I can string an HDMI cable to it. Right? Anyone want to save me the trouble and give me a different method?

Bill Martin
My 33.2 has a HDMI cable from the electronics cabinet to the dining room TV. I don't know if that came from the factory that way or of the dealer installed it.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:29 AM   #182

Quote:
Originally Posted by DP Guy View Post

Bill Martin
Mine came with a HDMI cable installed from the electronics cabinet to the TV and it was plugged into the non-blueray DVD player provided by Thor. All I did was unplug the DVD player and replaced it with my Blue Ray.

Tags
thor