Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-22-2013, 11:28 AM   #253

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Bill View Post
I have been able to fill my DEF tank from the hose on the next lane every time I have needed DEF on my 33.2.

Bill
Thanks. That is good to know and more convenient than the separate containers. It seems that you must have the magnet in your tank or else you would have had problems. I am still going to do a quick and simple test to see if I have a magnet in my DEF tank. It is amazing. On my 2000 DP I had no driver's side diesel fill so I had to use the auxiliary pump. Now that problem is fixed and I am scrambling to fill the DEF. At least DEF doesn't need to be filled as often as diesel.
Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2013, 11:40 AM   #254

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Walker View Post
Today I stopped at a Loves truck stop to buy DEF. Since my 33.2 Palazzo has the tank on the passenger's side I planned to use two 2 1/2 gallon red plastic fuel containers. Long story short, I could not use the containers. There is a special magnet that a tank or container must have to allow the nozzle to work. Furthermore, the attendant said that my gasoline containers were wrong. I found the magnet OPW 21Gu Mis-Filling Prevention Device - MFPD
but I am still unsure about containers. The attendant offered to help me and I believe he was going to use the DEF from the adjacent lane. Do the hoses usually reach that far? If the hoses won't reach what container is suitable?
http://www.jmesales.com/product/opw-...,9120,6079.htm
I made a one-time purchase of a 2-1/2 gal container at Walmart and retained the empty container for refilling, which I have now done 3 times with no issues. The detachable nozzle that came with the jug is very useful to get the needed extension distance for doing the refill. It will be interesting to see how long it all holds up over time. I also have refilled my jug at Flying J stops with no issues. Also, I keep the nozzle in a gallon zipper bag to keep it clean.

2005 Honda Pilot toad
photoguy1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:12 PM   #255

I'm a 16 month owner of a 33.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcsurf1 View Post
I've got a deposit on a 2014 36.1 for 149 but I'm getting cold feet with all this talk of poor cs and slides not working. I'm in an older Newmar now but can't afford newer Newmar and the Palazzo looks nice.
Anyone out there to talk me down from this ledge? 2014's all fixed?
I'm feeling good about the price (rv show) but scared about all the negative feedback.
Any help would be great.
I've been reluctant to comment -- if you can't say anything nice.... My problems with Thor started at the dealership and if I had any sense, I would have walked away. The coach arrived at LazyDays, Tampa, FL, and our sales lady wanted to show off our new coach. The long slide would not retract after she extended it. I have since found that if I spray silicone lubricant on the roller plates beneath the slide on a regular basis, that my slide will work.

The next day, my wife suggested that we should operate the leveling jacks as part of our "acceptance process" -- I hit the auto-level button and when the jacks started moving the motorhome, we heard a sound like a gun shot. It scared me! After it leveled, I retracted the jacks and then initiated the leveling process again. It was quiet this time. Later, as I gave the coach a close exam, I found the source of the "gun shot", all of the screws holding the floor of the bays to the side wall (driver's side) ripped out. I saw a 1/2" gap where there should not have been any gap. Again, I should have bailed out but did not -- sigh.

I could write a book about the problems that I have encountered, all of which I have documented with my TMC customer representatives. Basically, the problem with TMC is quality control -- they don't know what that is, sadly it's not part of their lexicon or their build process.

My cantilevered table has pulled loose from the wall; I had to re-hang the bathroom door; I had to make the pantry useful by mounting all the shelves on slides; I had to have my local Camping World do a paint repair where TMC did a lousy patch job when they removed the dryer vent (we did not want the clothes washer/dryer); CW had to re-attach the bay floor to the side wall on the curb side of the motorhome; the fastener that TMC installed to hold the fridge doors closed while traveling stripped out; they did not install a vent so that the icemaker water supply line could be drained; the manuals are almost worthless; etc.
billyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:36 PM   #256

I should say that I too liked the price point on the Palazzo and your quote of $149K sounds like a really good price. I hope that the Freightliner chassis is better than the box that TMC puts on it. I am a handyman who (unfortunately?) is not daunted by my problems to date. As long as the chassis is sound, I think that I can live with the box that TMC built.

I like the idea of the slide movement mechanism -- I just think that TMC saved a nickel by not installing the heavy duty slide motor. Unfortunately, saving a nickel seems to be the watch word for RV manufacturers.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:59 AM   #257

Go to Thor and let them fix everything. I am probably more than efficient in fixing things. I can fix most everything on the coach but the slide. I let Thor do all repairs. They have always done a great job. Second Thor coach and very happy.

We love our coach!!
StevieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:53 AM   #258

Yes, I would be glad to let the TMC do the repair work, but I live a long way from the factory. As it is, Camping World had my coach for two months to fix the botched body work. That's two months out of the 16 months that I have owned this coach. Most of that time was spent trying to get authorization from TMC. TMC wanted CW to do a quickie repair and only relented when I established that the problem was with the original patch work done when TMC removed the aforementioned clothes dryer vent.

I am happy that you have had a great experience with TMC coaches.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:49 AM   #259

Thanks, we live a long way also. We live in the Houston Texas area. We just found that we cannot deal with CW or Lazy Days or the like to work on our coach. They seem to blame everything on Thor and year up more stuff than they fix. I am happy to drive to Thor once a year and them keep my coach in tip top shape. We use our coach every month and take two big trips per year. We always stop at Thor and hang out in Amish country.
Hope yours gets straightened out. We have very few issues.

We love our coach!!
Old 10-29-2013, 02:34 PM   #260

Freightliner Owners Club
Whoa, what???? You are willing to drive to Indiana from Texas "once a year and (have) them keep my coach in tip top shape". Are you kidding me? How is that even close to being acceptable? I say that is indicative of the issues with Thor coaches (and probably other brands too). You say you have few problems, but if so, why do you have to make this trek? Gee, imagine if we all had to take our vehicles back to Detroit (or wherever) on a regular basis to fix manufacturer defects. I'm beginning to realize the RV industry is pathetic...there is no quality control and apparently little regulatory oversight. Maybe they need some foreign competition to encourage them to improve design and quality.
dogmum53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 02:58 PM   #261

Solo Rvers Club
Can anyone report as to how comfortable the Euro Recliner on the 2014 33.2 is? I'm 6'0" @ 265lbs and haven't been able to actually see one yet. TIA!
NY24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:54 PM   #262

I have business in Chicago and relatives in ohio. Thor is just a few miles off the turnpike. By the way a car from Detroit is a little different than a coach. And I cannot afford a new Newell. It does not matter what kind of coach you buy with exception of Newell, you will have problems. Even new Prevost have issues. I have an acquaintance that had a new Prevost and sold it for a Newell. Newell was perfect.

We love our coach!!
Old 10-29-2013, 10:13 PM   #263

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY24 View Post
Can anyone report as to how comfortable the Euro Recliner on the 2014 33.2 is? I'm 6'0" @ 265lbs and haven't been able to actually see one yet. TIA!
I'm 6'2'', 220. I don't like it much. I turn the drivers seat around and use that. Wife sits in the recliner .
tcopeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:21 AM   #264

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmum53 View Post
Whoa, what???? You are willing to drive to Indiana from Texas "once a year and (have) them keep my coach in tip top shape". Are you kidding me? How is that even close to being acceptable? I say that is indicative of the issues with Thor coaches (and probably other brands too). You say you have few problems, but if so, why do you have to make this trek? Gee, imagine if we all had to take our vehicles back to Detroit (or wherever) on a regular basis to fix manufacturer defects. I'm beginning to realize the RV industry is pathetic...there is no quality control and apparently little regulatory oversight. Maybe they need some foreign competition to encourage them to improve design and quality.
Amen and Amen! When Japan starts building coaches, we'll see the American manufacturers pull their socks up. Just like the auto industry.

Thor failed to cut an access hole through the closet to the water supply of my washer. I was getting an H2O error cause the water wasn't turned on. There was no way to get to the water supply so my local dealer had to cut the access hole Thor forgot. How does that happen? When it does happen, does anyone at Thor go back through the logs to see who the worker was that day? To see who the inspector was? I took the tour at the Thor factory and they kept telling me, "Our slogan is, 'overkill is under-rated'".

BS. How did my coach come out of the factory with seals missing from the water system, causing my basement to flood every time I turned on the water? Who designed the DEF tank on the right when all the pumps have the dispenser on the left? Who failed to seal the lights on the top front of my coach, allowing water to run down the inside of the windshield? How is it my dashboard AC and heater left the factory not working? Who failed to caulk the inside of my shower causing water to puddle up on the floor?

I could go on and on and on.

I could tell you about the three weeks my coach sat at the Thor repair facility, and they still didn't get everything fixed.

I have to stop, my blood pressure is rising.
DP Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:03 AM   #265

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY24 View Post
I find it to be excellent. I am 5' 10" and 200 lbs. It is an upscale feature and attractive as well.
Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:25 AM   #266

Quote:
Originally Posted by DP Guy View Post

Amen and Amen! When Japan starts building coaches, we'll see the American manufacturers pull their socks up. Just like the auto industry.

Thor failed to cut an access hole through the closet to the water supply of my washer. I was getting an H2O error cause the water wasn't turned on. There was no way to get to the water supply so my local dealer had to cut the access hole Thor forgot. How does that happen? When it does happen, does anyone at Thor go back through the logs to see who the worker was that day? To see who the inspector was? I took the tour at the Thor factory and they kept telling me, "Our slogan is, 'overkill is under-rated'".

BS. How did my coach come out of the factory with seals missing from the water system, causing my basement to flood every time I turned on the water? Who designed the DEF tank on the right when all the pumps have the dispenser on the left? Who failed to seal the lights on the top front of my coach, allowing water to run down the inside of the windshield? How is it my dashboard AC and heater left the factory not working? Who failed to caulk the inside of my shower causing water to puddle up on the floor?

I could go on and on and on.

I could tell you about the three weeks my coach sat at the Thor repair facility, and they still didn't get everything fixed.

I have to stop, my blood pressure is rising.
DP Guy,
I feel your pain. I had a Thor which was a nightmare. Traded for an Itasca which has been a great coach. I would advise anyone against buying a Thor or Damon product.
F117plt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thor