Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-30-2014, 07:45 AM   #15

Thor Owners Club
Not sure, but that sure is a whole lot of headless screws.
Gingerela is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2014, 07:55 AM   #16

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had the exact same problem on my 2013 Thor Challenger. The front cap to body seam split for about 18 inches on each side and I could see sheared off screws in the gap. Camping World repaired it (under warranty) but it has started separating again on one side. I have a June 30 appointment at Elkhart and this is one of the issues on my list.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 08:30 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingerela View Post
Two weeks ago, I noticed the vertical trim piece in the front of my coach had detached from the body. This trim piece hides the connection where the front cap attaches to the body of the coach. Upon closer inspection, I noticed a number of screw heads had broken off. Luckily, I was still in Elkhart when I noticed it and Thor was able to fit me in and get it repaired before I left. Turns out all nine of the screw heads had broken off on the driver's side and all but four on the passenger side. That should not be happening to a coach under a year old with only 6000 miles on it. Others on this forum have complained about the screw heads popping off and have posted photos. Is it the quality of the screws, poor workmanship, or a design flaw? Hoses left unconnected or loosely connected, is a maufacturing problem that has reeked havoc on our coach as well as our vacations. P.S. Tried to no avail to get these photos to post right side up, but for whatever reason, I was unsuccessful.

I had same problem with mine a few month back, they had to remount using rivets. Upon picking it up I inspected and found large spider cracks at the top, made another appointment for body shop to repair. Although this was still under warranty for me, the screw quality is a real issue, from the ladder to the nose they have had to replace them. Good luck with Thor, I they only have a one year warranty for a reason. :/
HVAC Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 12:01 PM   #18

Thor Owners Club
I'd say this is a HUGE problem.
Old 05-30-2014, 06:09 PM   #19

they def use cheap screws... quantity rather than quality is the name of the game here. Thats why there are screws thrown every where on the coach for us to collect. Why buy quality screws when you can use 3-4 extra in place of it...
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 10:42 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LT View Post
. I do wonder who the gunius engineer was that decided to put the DEF tank on the right side of the rig.

Regarding the location of the DEF tank ...

Last month we were in Elkhart, Indiana at the Thor Service Center. We took the diesel plant tour in Wakarusa and during the tour the subject came up. There is usually a 'good' reason for things. This is one!

Long story short and to keep it brief - Flying J/ Pilot initially decided on the delivery mode of providing DEF to their customers and told the manufacturers and chassis manufacturers that it would be dispensed with containers at their stations. This information is what Thor and other manufacturers was provided. The exhaust is located on the right side of the coach. The DEF fluid additive is designed to go into the exhaust and therefore was the shortest path.

Some time later, Flying J/Pilot decided to change the delivery mode at their stations and dispense DEF through pumps. Not only did Thor have it on the right side (PS) but so did other coach manufacturers; as most rigs are being built on the Freightliner chassis. The DEF tank location was then modified to the left side (DS) to accommodate the changes that Flying J/Pilot made.

P.S. Mercedes Benz and other vehicle manufacturers still have the DEF fill on the passenger side.......
Thanks for the info, that is a good reason. Bud Parker
Bud Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 06:19 AM   #21

Thor Owners Club
My 2 cents for Thor to fix and ones I fixed.

Scheduled July 14th for a Factory Visit for the following:
  1. Heads of various screws securing ladder to coach are sheered off. Additionally, the large screws that secure ladder to horizontal supports pulled through tubing with the very bottom bending in everytime I step on it.
  2. Went to install a Sat antenna and where the sticker was for sat/data cable location was [under plumbing vent cap behind radio antenna] opened per instructions on label. well, no cable can be found in the 1 1/2" hole as directed. Probed around and removed a considerable amount of insulation......no where to be found. Thor agreed to find it and install antenna during visit.
  3. Trim on driver's side came off to to sheered screws. I repaired and want Thor to inspect it. Used a black RTV Adhesive and held trim in place by blocking it with a bar to ground.
  4. Missing sweep rubber floor seal from fridge all the way back to closet and do get drafts. Also slot where water lines are exposed and subject to freezing and total area is open for kitters and bug access.
  5. When the coach is parked with entrance door facing south with awning in, it gets jambed closed from heat expansion. Getting door open requires a lot of effort.
  6. Water tank indicator light when full wasn't working. Found when removing access panel the wire to the sensor came out of wire connector. It was re-crimped into connector and all other wires were tied up and secured as they were just hanging all over the place. PS: Wanted to change water filter and found their was never an element installed. Installed a new taste odor and sediment one.
  7. Drafts were found entering under dash.
  8. Large slide made some real loud noises when operating. Found the Lippert Video on lubrication and bought the CRC required on Amazon and noises stopped. I still hold my breath and keep my fingers crossed that it will go out or come in.
  9. Mark Stanley of Thor inspected coaches at the Myrtle Beach rally.
    My bedroom slide was found to need adjustment and trimming. The outside rubber veritical seal needs to be touching slide evening up and down with a slide curve outward. Mine the seal was straight to slide with no curve and just barely touching slide.
  10. Sub-woofer for TV was under dinette seat by sink side. I removed and re-routed feed line to outside floor area. Secured sub-woofer to seat base with velcro-strips to prevent movement. Note the seat bases were screwed down on both sides and I did not re-install them but installed strips of velco in various spots to hold securely. Now I have new acess and quick storage of items[junk I will probably forget] under seats.
  11. DEF in bulk at truckers fill up islands at Flying J I get for $2.73 a gallon. Easier since fill neck is up in compartment and nozzle fits it well. My fill is on the left that requires me to pull up after diesel fill to accomplish. I do not carry any additional DEF in containers.
Thats about it so far for 7 months of ownership and 6300.0 miles so far. With exception of long term trust of the slides I am pretty pleased with coach. After my Factory visit, I plan on heading up to the U P, Wisconsin, Iowa, S. Dakota, Wyoming, Colorado and back to Gaffney for Camp Freightliner Sept 11-12. So any problems with chassis I will have Gaffney take of them. If anymore Coach problems I will try to have them addressed while attending the Goshen Rally. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Don Voyage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 08:55 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Voyage View Post
Scheduled July 14th for a Factory Visit for the following:
  1. Heads of various screws securing ladder to coach are sheered off. Additionally, the large screws that secure ladder to horizontal supports pulled through tubing with the very bottom bending in everytime I step on it.
  2. Went to install a Sat antenna and where the sticker was for sat/data cable location was [under plumbing vent cap behind radio antenna] opened per instructions on label. well, no cable can be found in the 1 1/2" hole as directed. Probed around and removed a considerable amount of insulation......no where to be found. Thor agreed to find it and install antenna during visit.
  3. Trim on driver's side came off to to sheered screws. I repaired and want Thor to inspect it. Used a black RTV Adhesive and held trim in place by blocking it with a bar to ground.
  4. Missing sweep rubber floor seal from fridge all the way back to closet and do get drafts. Also slot where water lines are exposed and subject to freezing and total area is open for kitters and bug access.
  5. When the coach is parked with entrance door facing south with awning in, it gets jambed closed from heat expansion. Getting door open requires a lot of effort.
  6. Water tank indicator light when full wasn't working. Found when removing access panel the wire to the sensor came out of wire connector. It was re-crimped into connector and all other wires were tied up and secured as they were just hanging all over the place. PS: Wanted to change water filter and found their was never an element installed. Installed a new taste odor and sediment one.
  7. Drafts were found entering under dash.
  8. Large slide made some real loud noises when operating. Found the Lippert Video on lubrication and bought the CRC required on Amazon and noises stopped. I still hold my breath and keep my fingers crossed that it will go out or come in.
  9. Mark Stanley of Thor inspected coaches at the Myrtle Beach rally.
    My bedroom slide was found to need adjustment and trimming. The outside rubber veritical seal needs to be touching slide evening up and down with a slide curve outward. Mine the seal was straight to slide with no curve and just barely touching slide.
  10. Sub-woofer for TV was under dinette seat by sink side. I removed and re-routed feed line to outside floor area. Secured sub-woofer to seat base with velcro-strips to prevent movement. Note the seat bases were screwed down on both sides and I did not re-install them but installed strips of velco in various spots to hold securely. Now I have new acess and quick storage of items[junk I will probably forget] under seats.
  11. DEF in bulk at truckers fill up islands at Flying J I get for $2.73 a gallon. Easier since fill neck is up in compartment and nozzle fits it well. My fill is on the left that requires me to pull up after diesel fill to accomplish. I do not carry any additional DEF in containers.
Thats about it so far for 7 months of ownership and 6300.0 miles so far. With exception of long term trust of the slides I am pretty pleased with coach. After my Factory visit, I plan on heading up to the U P, Wisconsin, Iowa, S. Dakota, Wyoming, Colorado and back to Gaffney for Camp Freightliner Sept 11-12. So any problems with chassis I will have Gaffney take of them. If anymore Coach problems I will try to have them addressed while attending the Goshen Rally. Keeping my fingers crossed.
I also have a July 14th appointment. I have several of the same things that you have listed that need to be addressed on mine. Three items that bother me the most that I am going to have looked at is all three of my auxiliary plugs on the dash show 12 volts but when any device is plugged in the voltage drops to 3 volts on all three plugs. Needless to say none of my devices will work. The second is when the breaker to the clothes drier is off I still show 5 volts at the load side of the breaker. Last but not least the blower motor for the rear A/C cycles from low to off to high speed while the compressor continues to run. It does this about every 5 minutes. See ya in Elkhart.
Indy1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 11:53 AM   #23

a BIG question I have is will they develop a way to retrofit a third "worm rail" on the big slides. They are now using 3 on the 2015 units and when I asked about adding a 3rd they said it is not possible on the 2014. If this solves the slide problem - find a way!!!
Old 06-01-2014, 07:05 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokofriend View Post
a BIG question I have is will they develop a way to retrofit a third "worm rail" on the big slides. They are now using 3 on the 2015 units and when I asked about adding a 3rd they said it is not possible on the 2014. If this solves the slide problem - find a way!!!
It is possible... they just dont want to do it.
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 10:07 AM   #25

Thor Owners Club
I was in Elkhart a couple of weeks ago and asked for the same retrofit without any success. It's the 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it' mindset, and I can understand that, although I don't agree with it.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:10 AM   #26

Depends which side of the fence your on as to how one looks at it.
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 10:17 AM   #27

Maybe Thor could come out with an aftermarket third rail that they install on the early models for a fee. I bet there are a lot of us (myself for sure) that are willing to pay for a little piece of mind.
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 01:06 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChallengerRN View Post
Maybe Thor could come out with an aftermarket third rail that they install on the early models for a fee. I bet there are a lot of us (myself for sure) that are willing to pay for a little piece of mind.
I know we would too! We have the 2013.
We asked about the third rail system at the Thor rally in Myrtle Beach. They said no, they have no plans to offer it. They said "we have only had a 5% slide failure rate so far". Someone in the room pointed out "You have more than 5% in this room alone".
So I don't know if they really don't know the actual numbers of owners with slide issues, or if they don't want to know, but for now they said they have no plans to offer the third rail system to any of us.
RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quality, thor