Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-19-2014, 09:14 AM   #29

So I sent the email and a link to this thread to the Director at Thor...so far nothing...I would have expected some sort of acknowledgment

Not impressed
alindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2014, 09:30 AM   #30

5% failure rate

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKNOLA View Post
I know we would too! We have the 2013.
We asked about the third rail system at the Thor rally in Myrtle Beach. They said no, they have no plans to offer it. They said "we have only had a 5% slide failure rate so far". Someone in the room pointed out "You have more than 5% in this room alone".
So I don't know if they really don't know the actual numbers of owners with slide issues, or if they don't want to know, but for now they said they have no plans to offer the third rail system to any of us.
It's a good job nuclear power stations don't have a 5% failure rate!

Joking aside, 5% is pretty poor and sounds like the person who said it was pretty impressed that it 'only 5%'. Can't think of too many industries where the vendor happily accepts a 5% failure rate. Not sure I'll be adding Thor to my wish list.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:41 AM   #31

Ford Super Duty Owner
If management publicly states 5% as acceptable, you have found the core problem at Thor.
mccsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 09:44 AM   #32

I see where GM was sued for 10 Billion in a class action yesterday because of devaluation of their product because they failed to recall in a timely manner. Maybe Thor should read about that instead of letting this large slide linger on. ???

Russell
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:07 AM   #33

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Are these issues with all Thor products or Palazzo specific?

We looked at the Tuscany 36 over the weekend and liked it enough to buy one - have not pulled the trigger yet...
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:45 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJBROWN View Post
Are these issues with all Thor products or Palazzo specific?

We looked at the Tuscany 36 over the weekend and liked it enough to buy one - have not pulled the trigger yet...

I don't know anything about the Tuscany-- what I do know about is the large slide issues on the Palazzo.

Because of the many failures and issues with this slide the value on the Palazzo with the large slide has gone out the bottom. Thor continues to fix these as they continue to fail but in my opinion are only patching them.

So Thor continues to patch them (some even after warranty). That does nothing for us poor saps that bought these in good faith and have lost thousands in value if we want to trade. (I know this first hand as I have tried to trade 4 times. Once for another Thor).

So your on your own on the Tuscany but as to me I will NEVER buy another Thor product--UNLESS they do a proper fix on the one I have now and make it right to the 2013 & 2014 large slide owners. If they make it right I'll be the first one back here saying they have!!

Russell
Old 08-17-2014, 09:26 AM   #35

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We've had so many issues with the quality of our Thor that we decided to sell our unit.

I've attempted to speak several times with Shirley Sylvia in customer service. She simply doesn't return any calls.

For those that are contemplating purchasing a Thor I would suggest to look somewhere else.

Initially our unit had all the right ingredients and appealed to us. It rapidly deteriorated and build quality became evident through the numerous issues we've experienced.

This was not our first RV and I am aware that all manufacturers produce units that suffer from quality control issues.

For us Thor became a money pit abandoned by the people that build it.

I guess we were stuck in the '5%' group.

For us, never again would we look at purchasing a Thor unit and I would encourage those ready to purchase to look past the initial appeal and do your research.

Radar224
radar224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 10:58 AM   #36

I traded mine too Radar. Took my loss and have much more quality now. Quite happy.

Russell
Old 08-17-2014, 03:35 PM   #37

I have no reason not to believe anyone about their issues with a Thor product. However we have had two Thor coachs with a number of issues and we have always received service and call backs anytime we requested anything. We have 20,000 miles on our Palazzo and other than one very little nagging issue, our coach is whole and operating perfectly. We have NEVER taken it to a dealer other than for generator service. I think the squeaky wheel gets the grease and we squeaked a lot. Our coach was the 7th 33.2 off the line. All coaches have issues even new Prevost. The only Joachim that doesn't is a Newell, but they only make about 25 a year and I can't afford it. This coach is perfect for us and has served us very well.

We love our coach
StevieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 04:46 PM   #38

..half-a$$ed approach to building the unit,..

it is sad to think of it this way but its really is the truth

this really is seen every where even in fast food .. its really about putting out numbers of units

keep a good hand full of OK guys to make the units to keep cost down
keep a smaller hand full of good payed fix guys for come backs

when your food is made wrong the numbers DO show that most well not say any thing or care

same thing in the units here.. most do care .. they just dont know its wrong or its not so post to be that way ... so they do get away with alot of it

for the tire kickers/ the guys that know better the RV is going to come back no matter what ... and the higher payed fix guys can make the turn around faster at lower cost ... then some low cost guy holding up the line and slowing down units on the line

how many times did you get your food wrong and not have time to go back
how many times did you get your food wrong and some one other then in the food line fixed it for you so the line did not have to stop
how many times did you just fix it your self ... by removing some thing
talking fast food here

how many times had a dealer //// not the maker of the RV fixed small things
how many RVs just set on the lot for years befor the units are sold

then all so when you add a few moves like you dont want home TV or phone
you then get the no call backs or are you sure you want to do this

this is your home and it only takes a few games to get you to cover the cost and move on in hoping they well make good latter

it is all about numbers and if we know what the numbers really where .. well
terry735001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 10:56 PM   #39

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
StevieD,

I am glad you've got one out of the 95 percentile group.

I can only say this: for us, and it sounds like others, purchasing a Thor turned out to be like playing Russian roulette with your retirement money.

Most of the time you get lucky but sometimes things go wrong.

Weigh the odds, do your research, and make your decision.

For us, I can't say any different, Thor quality and customer service simply failed.
radar224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 10:04 AM   #40

I was also in the same situation as you and decided to cut my losses and move on, I was wondering is this the case with all new MHs, but took a chance on Newmar after visiting their factory while my Palazzo was being worked on at Thor. Well I can report that the quality control over at Newmar is quite different than that is practiced at Thor. Our new coach is a big step up in the QA department, after 10,000 miles in four months we have yet to find any loose or left over screws and construction materials. And believe me after the cup fulls of screws we found in our Palazzo we were looking hard.

I will admit this is a higher cost coach but the QA shouldn't be different based on cost.

Bill
OC Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 10:14 AM   #41

Same thing here Bill. I went with Forest River.

Actually today I'm doing a mod to the water area and took a panel off. After what I went thru with the Palazzo I figured the space behind the panel to be full of sawdust & spare screws and plastic.

Nope clean as can be.

Feels good that someone cares about what's behind closed in areas.

Sure not unhappy that I traded the
Palazzo!!!

Russell
Old 08-18-2014, 10:20 AM   #42

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
27,000+ miles on our Palazzo and loving it. We must be in the 95% group. Had a Jayco Melbourne before our "palace". It was junk!
tcopeland is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quality, thor