RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-09-2014, 06:07 PM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlowers View Post
Yes, the slide will rest on the floor rollers when the slide is closed. When fully open however, most of the slide is hanging outside of the coach as it should. This causes the bottom edge of the slide opening to become a fulcrum, translating forces to the top. So when the slide motors are operating, they have to contend with the weight of the slide as well as simply overcoming inertia. That's why most other slide mechanisms have steel scissors underneath the slide or cable supports at the top. Schwintek also uses a rack and pinion design. This works well for low-load / high-speed operations like steering a sports car, but for a heavy slow-moving slide, a worm gear or jack screw mechanism is more suitable. Using a steel pinion in an aluminum rack will cause the gears to jump the rails as soon as it grinds away enough metal. This is inevitable with enough use. The result is that the slide will become misaligned and stick in the opening.
Technically, the slide is "hanging" whether fully retracted or extended. What keeps the slide level at all times is the torque shaft that is connected to the motor and drives both gears, upper and lower.
streamcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2014, 06:17 PM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by streamcamper View Post
Technically, the slide is "hanging" whether fully retracted or extended. What keeps the slide level at all times is the torque shaft that is connected to the motor and drives both gears, upper and lower.
Positive Reps for Streamcamper and Jlowers. The slide gear track should be made from a quality steel.
Old 10-09-2014, 06:46 PM   #101

The slide rails are not raw aluminum. They are anodized aluminum. Depending on the process used in the anodizing of the aluminum it can be almost as hard as a diamond. I have had my 33.2 for 14 months now and have lost count of the number of times the slide has been extended and retracted. The slide rails look as good as the day they where installed.
Indy1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 08:29 PM   #102

Ditto
StevieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 07:44 AM   #103

Do the new 2015 33.2 "Large Slide" have 3 rails now? Or do they still have only 2?
davidki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 07:51 AM   #104

Not sure, I do know that I seen a winnibago in a resort that had a much larger slide then the 32.2. It only had two rails. I was buying some supplies at camping world yesterday . For those that are legacy lovers, I was unempressed. I will take my palazzo any day.
StevieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 09:15 AM   #105

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieD View Post
Not sure, I do know that I seen a winnibago in a resort that had a much larger slide then the 32.2. It only had two rails. I was buying some supplies at camping world yesterday . For those that are legacy lovers, I was unempressed. I will take my palazzo any day.
x2..

and another note about Thor.. love them or hate them.. to each his own.

But.. again Thor has stepped up for me. I am going to pick mine up from the dealer today... before my warranty went out I had them order a new gasket that goes around the front windshield because mine popped off. well the dealer was replacing it (after my warranty was up because they ordered the part before warranty expired) and somehow they put a nice crack across the entire windshield. They called Thor to tell them what happened and that it was their fault and I was out of warranty and they needed to order a new windshield ($1700 by the way) and they understood the dealership would pay for it but Thor said don't worry about it and would send one no charge. The dealership could have lied to me and told me they paid for it but were so impressed that Thor was taking care of it that they had to tell me.

We love our Palazzo too..
wstrace3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 10:03 AM   #106

Once I vacuumed the sawdust up and threw away extra screws then lubed a few things I am good. Enjoying the outdoors with good people. My Palazzo 33.3 has my grandkids and us smiling.😀 I do understand the frustrations and do the best that I can.
Ridinbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 11:22 AM   #107
Community Administrator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
So good to see some new(er) members posting and to read positive feedback about TMC.
I own a Damon (now part of TMC) and have always found their Customer Service to be very prompt and helpful...

...Now I cannot say the same for the "authorized dealers." There was a 1 month back log at the dealer near me in TX and a 3 week back log at the dealer near me in CA - just for routine maint. So to me, that explains the stories about new RV's waiting weeks for warranty repairs.

AND these are not just TMC Service Centers...they sell/service many brands.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 03:23 PM   #108

I agree, it's nice to see some good feedback.. I"m looking forward to getting down to look at a few coach's as early as tomorrow if it does not rain :-) The HUGE slide is a little concerning and I will have to see how large it is in comparison to others and then how the other manufacturers handle it....

I"m not sure how well CampingWorld is set up here in the Nashville area and or if there is a local freight-liner center near by... before I do anything I want to make sure that there is at least a service point handy in the area.
davidki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 03:32 PM   #109

As far as Thor's Quality Control department, do you think anyone at Thor has taken the time to make a list of all the coaches that have documented slide issues and find the common denominator? Or documenting all the coaches that have documented "screw heads sheered off" problems and find the common denominator there? Maybe it is 1 or 2 workers that are causing the problem. I am not saying they are doing this on purpose but maybe their equipment is bad or they are doing their job wrong by lack of teaching or misinformation. If a screw gun is set with too much torque it could cause the heads sheering off problem. Maybe no one checks to see if these screw guns are calibrated properly. Anyway, it seems like if only SOME of these coaches are having problems and all of the coaches are coming from the SAME factory, then it would seem logical to track down which workers/machines are involved in the affected coaches. Maybe cleaning house of ineffective machines and/or workers could solve a LOT of problems for us as consumers
Just a thought................
RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 07:19 PM   #110

Every Thursday the shop manager at the service facility meets with the design team to discuss issues they are seeing on coaches.
TK IV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 07:45 PM   #111

And how well is that working ???

Russell
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 08:00 PM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK IV View Post
Every Thursday the shop manager at the service facility meets with the design team to discuss issues they are seeing on coaches.

Maybe instead of the design team they could meet with the head of customer service/warrenty claims department. That is where they will be able to hear about problems that existing customers are having. Meeting with the design team to fix problems on up coming coaches doesn't really help those of us that have existing problems.
Speaking of that, I am glad the techs were able to get your slide fixed.
RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quality, thor