Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-26-2014, 10:55 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thor Slide Problems with Video's and how they are suppose to work

Original sticky for Thor Slide problems, how they are suppose to work and dealers that maybe able to fix problems other than factory.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2014, 09:15 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Has anyone used the CRC Powerlube on the small bedroom slide?
The instructional video says to do on the inside as well as outside but I don't see any way to get at the mechanisms from the inside on my 33.1.

FWIW, it does sound a bit quieter after just doing it from the outside.

Next the larger slide, and on that don't see any way to get at the inside at the rear of the slide. It may be different on those with larger slide than the 33.1.
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:39 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I just finished using the CRC Powerlube on the larger slide in my 33.1.

Wow, what a difference! Although I have not had any problems with my slides, I had become accustomed to the squeaking and screeching on the large slide which I was told was "normal" during my PDI. After using the Powerlube it is nice and quiet with only the sound of the motors running.

Many thanks to those who provided information on slide lubrication in this, other threads, and the TDC Rally at Myrtle Beach.

For those who have not yet got the Powerlube it is available from Amazon for a great price; $7.49 for an 11 oz. can. I bought two and added a 33 mm deep impact socket for the wheel nuts and a DVD so I got free shipping.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:43 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butte64 View Post
The instructional video says to do on the inside as well as outside but I don't see any way to get at the mechanisms from the inside on my 33.1.

Next the larger slide, and on that don't see any way to get at the inside at the rear of the slide. It may be different on those with larger slide than the 33.1.
same here... have not lubed from the inside but just doing the outside on small slide in bedroom and large slide has made them completely quiet. I do it once a month and also use the slide gasket lube on the gaskets and that made a difference too.
wstrace3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 11:25 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
I just finished using the CRC Powerlube on the larger slide in my 33.1.
Can someone please share what the process is to use this product? I thought we weren't supposed to use anything on the slides.
Gingerela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 11:42 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingerela View Post
Can someone please share what the process is to use this product? I thought we weren't supposed to use anything on the slides.

Look at the first post in this thread and review the videos. One of the videos shows how to use the CRC Powerlube. It is not used on the slide gear teeth which you want to keep clean and dry, it is for the motor and drive mechanism.

Other videos are also very useful, especially if you get a stuck slide.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:54 AM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
What videos? I don't see no stinkin videos
Capn_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 01:37 PM   #8

Quote:

I only used it on the outside due to no access from the inside.

I was able to get it in the rear/inside of the large slide with one arm/hand but I do not know how good I got it because of the tight space.
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:04 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn_Dave View Post
What videos? I don't see no stinkin videos

You are correct, no stinkin videos but there are some excellent videos.

Look at the first message in this thread. In blue it says "Thor Slide Problems"
The blue means that is a link. Click on it. You will see a list of links to videos.

Or go to YouTube and search "Schwintek slide maintenance" and see several videos on the topic.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:45 AM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Here's a link to the video and the a pic of the Power Lube from a previous post:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f281/lubr...ut-197565.html
Gingerela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 05:34 AM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Do the inside lube procedure either with the slide half way or all the way retracted. On my 33.2, I have a problem accessing the mechanism from inside by the night stand/wall cabinet. But able to get a squirt in there!
If your only able to get a squirt from the outside, it is going to the same bearing/coupler area, so if your thinking there is another one their isn't. I also spray a dry-film lube on tracks. Dry-film lube unlike the CRC with PTFE does not attract dirt or dust!To each your own......!

I level coach before any slide movement. These motors are not engineered to take the full weight of a slide if not level. They are balanced on the bottom rollers. Think of two kids on a see saw playground apparatus.

If the side seal gaskets are not curved out....say straight to slide....then the slide is out and needs to be trimmed and adjusted per Mark Stanley of Thor from Mrytle Beach Rally.

Some of the noises heard during slide operation are also from the top slide awnings opening and closing too.
Don Voyage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 11:50 AM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Hello Tom,
A Happy 4th to you and family.

In the past 15 months I had the Bird, solenoid and lastly the inverter itself replaced.
Just completed a 6 Week (3500 miles) trip . Started at rally in Myrtle Beach, then graduation at LSU followed by northern Michigan and to Elkhart and Back home for another graduation.

It was a good (everything working) trip.

Good luck with your issue and safe travels back to home base

Bill & Dot
Luvrkds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 12:27 PM   #13

Quote:

I think that the guy in the video after completing one side of the slide meant to say to finish the other side rather than the inside.
TK IV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 04:57 AM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Opinion

After watching the video and seeing the set-up configuation, I would think if at a mininum if your able to get the lube into the bearing block areas from one side would be enough to lubricate entire area. To get to my inside bedroom slide by the night stand on my 33.2 is next to impossible. My arms are not that long enough to reach both areas. I also sprayed the ends of each bottom slide rollers too.
Will be at Factory July 14th to see what they think. Will post after service was completed on entire coach.
Just my 2 cents!
Don
Don Voyage is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, thor