Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:17 AM   #1

Tires on Unbalanced axle on my Palzzzo 33.2

The worst tire scenario is an underinflated tire. That can happen if you only have axle weights or no weights or ??? That danger is widely publicized and discussed, AND WHY YOU MUST GET THOSE CORNER WEIGHTS!

But even when you are knowledgeable and and get those corner weights and set the pressure for the highest weight tire you still have problems from the unbalanced axle.

Consider
  1. You got your corner weights and you have a significant difference in weigh carried by each axle end.
  2. Michelin says use the highest pressure for all wheels on the axle.
  3. ==> That means the other tire(s) on the axle will be overinflated.
For my front axle, full fuel and some load the recommended pressure for the left front is 95 pounds. The right axle load is well over 1000 pounds lighter than the lowest reference point on the Michelin table. That lowest pressure for a tire with 1200 pounds more load is 75 psi, 20 psi less than what I am required to use because of the imbalance. So that tire is way overinflated -- literally off the chart.

Overinflation, on the other hand, will reduce the tire’s
contact area with the road, which reduces traction,
braking ability, and handling. A tire that’s overinflated
for the weight it’s carrying is more prone to a harsh ride,
uneven tire wear, and impact damage.”

Source: Michelin RV Tires

When I took my Palazzo to Freightliner Factory service, the tech noted that the right front showed excessive wear. This is with just 6,652 miles. The right front on my Palazzo is too light.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2017, 05:46 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Have you checked the ride height sensors, to see if they are in spec? Being 1000 lbs heavier I bet you are out of adjustment.

You may be able to adjust one to put more weight on the light tire, as long as it's still in Freightliner specs.

The ride height sensors measure the distance between the frame and the suspension, and if they sense it is too close it increases air bag pressure on that side. If it's too high, then it lets air out of the bag to lower. You may have a sensor out of adjustment which is causing the airbag to press down heavier on one side than the other. A small tweak can easily move 500 lbs from one side to the other. I dialed mine in and got them perfectly balanced.

Takes less than 15 minutes to measure and adjust.

Your signature doesn't say where you are, but if you're on the east coast you may want to make an appointment at the Freightliner RV svc center in Gaffney SC, right off I85. That's where the plant is that makes the RV chassis, and they are Excellent. They can measure your corners, do an alignment if needed, and adjust your ride height. They really know what they are doing. All they work on is RV's.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:44 PM   #3

Dave,
yes. Service including ride height settings and alignment was done at Freightliner Factory Service Center, Gaffney, SC, the same day I did the weights. The suspension was set to specs. Mr. Stanley of Thor suggested a suspension problem, so they worked on it early morning and did extensive test driving and checked the numbers late afternoon. The ride height did not change.

I hope there will be more people getting corner weights with full water and reporting the results. What I have seen so far is consistent with my 33.2.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:49 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Then what has Thor suggested now, if all of them are coming up unbalanced? You have to live with this?

1000 lbs is not something you can really effect by shifting your own personal 'stuff' around much, unless you happen to be carrying that 500 lb barbell/weight set in the DS basement.

Maybe they could weld a battery rack in the PS front cap, and they could move the house batteries (assuming they're currently on DS). That would probably make a couple hundred pound difference shift.

I came close to buying that model, but the local dealer was out of whack with his pricing and wouldn't budge.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 07:16 AM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiawah View Post
Then what has Thor suggested now, if all of them are coming up unbalanced? You have to live with this?

1000 lbs is not something you can really effect by shifting your own personal 'stuff' around much, unless you happen to be carrying that 500 lb barbell/weight set in the DS basement...
In the airplane world steel or lead weights are used to balance.
jones47172 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires