Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-03-2020, 12:43 PM   #1

Update on Generator Tail Pipe fall off

For a recap. I take my RV to a Cummins/Onan shop in Greensboro NC. Took about 1 month for the replacement tailpipe to get to the shop. I took my RV in to have it installed and I get a call back saying the muffler is damaged and it has to be replaced. The bad part is the generator has to be taken out to install the muffler. I called both Thor and Cummins/Onan in Elkhart Indiana. Both agreed the generator would need to come out. Here's my question. Cummins in Greensboro quoted me $2100 for the labor and parts. Both Thor and Onan in Elkhart thought that was about $1000 too high. I was told by Onan Indiana it takes about 1.5 hours to remove a generator. 2 hours tops. Not sure how much a muffler is and the tailpipe can't be too expensive. Bottom line Onan Indiana said if they did the job it would cost approximately $1000. They charge $130/hr for labor. So 4 hours to uninstall/install generator. 2 hours to install muffler. Muffler cost ?? will go with $300 and tailpipe $200. This all comes out to $520, labor for gen. $260 for muffler labor. Parts and labor cost is roughly $1280. Am I getting ripped off by the Onan dealer here in Greensboro? It would probably be cheaper for me to drive to Indiana to get fixed but not feasible. Thoughts? Thanks.
sttom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2020, 02:18 PM   #2

I think you answered your own question by pointing out how the numbers don't really make sense. Good luck
iluvuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 08:42 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
155-4661 is the muffler, how bad is it twisted? The generator only takes about an hour to drop. One hour to put back, if you know how and have equipment. It doesn’t HAVE to come completely off, just enough to get top and sides off. I think the muffler just over about $200, but $300 is a good barometer.

There is lots of other dealers and even a factory store in Charlotte or even Freightliner factory store in Gaffney.

Yes, I think their quote is high.
Corc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 10:13 AM   #4

Well, new exhaust pipe is on but they mounted too low. When the coach is aired down the pipe is touching the ground. I have since taken it back and they said they will fix that. The whole thing cost $1245 which is more in line with what I and everyone else thought the cost should be.
sttom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 09:01 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
not sure how it can be installed too low. are you saying the opening of the exhaust pipe touches the ground when lowered ?? or the whole pipe from the generator ??
Did they install a generator exhaust hanger at the end where it extends from the side of coach ?? If not the pipe is too long without one and it will drag when aired down.
wstrace3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 09:05 AM   #6

Can you post pictures ?
Would like to see exactly what you are talking about.
ky bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 09:17 AM   #7

If they installed the correct part and did it correctly is should be exactly like the old one was. Something is wrong if it's not. I'd have them fix this one but I wouldn't give them my business in the future. I use the one strike and you're out rules when it comes to factory authorized repair facilities, they should know exactly what they are doing and it does not look like that is the case in this instance. Yep, not much patience with mechanics that make things worse than they were before they got involved.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 09:23 AM   #8

I would of went to an exhaust shop.....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator