Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-26-2014, 02:39 PM   #57

Just came back from the Poconos Mountains in PA...

settling in at the campground, a couple of days later noticed our jacks have sank 6-7 inches... I figured the damage is done and left it the way it is. Leaving the campground, both slides came in with no issues... Had an inverter vdc fault, did a soft reset and the fault cleared. Starting the summer good so far.
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2014, 02:54 PM   #58

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redridge View Post
Just came back from the Poconos Mountains in PA...

settling in at the campground, a couple of days later noticed our jacks have sank 6-7 inches... I figured the damage is done and left it the way it is. Leaving the campground, both slides came in with no issues... Had an inverter vdc fault, did a soft reset and the fault cleared. Starting the summer good so far.
How do you do a soft reset?
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 03:05 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butte64 View Post
How do you do a soft reset?
here you go...

Old 05-27-2014, 03:19 PM   #60

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Gaffney Service

Finished with first annual service in Gaffney before 4:30.

No major problems noted but a word of caution, there were some loose clamps that caused coolant leak when pressure tested. I have not seen any sign of leakage but it might have been just a matter of time. The tech said it is not unusual and given the people who have reported coolant leak issues it looks like something to be very aware about.

The only other problem noted was a loose shock absorber. He said I might have noticed rattling over bumps. Well there is so much rattling over bumps I can't say I noticed the shock. Now I wonder if bumps won't be so shocking.

Although I have not had the steering problems reported by others I had an alignment and 4 corner weigh done anyway. He adjusted toe in to get within specs and set pressure at 90 all the way around. Note that this is on a 33.1 that is not heavily loaded with total weight of 22,900 today so will not apply to all versions that are more heavily loaded. This is lower than I have been running so it will be interesting to find out if I notice a difference. The tech said he ran it up to 70 on the Interstate and steering felt fine.

As suggested by Jeremy I had the air filter changed, which is not cheap.
Old 05-27-2014, 04:43 PM   #61

If it's the transmission cooler clamps as on mine that were loose. They are very easy to tighten. Just inside the rear bumper. One on each side of the motor at the rear down low.

Russell
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 02:18 PM   #62

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I left Gaffney this morning but did not drive far on the Interstate. Unfortunately I followed the GPS route to Lenoir and got my fill of narrow, twisty, winding roads with an area of big up and down. Nice scenery though.

As far as I can tell the alignment and everything else worked out perfectly.
Old 05-30-2014, 04:17 PM   #63

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Onward in the the mountains

After leaving Freightliner I headed to Lenoir, NC.

Since I am not comfortable with the RV in narrow spaces and tight turns I did not like the campsite near Lenoir and had some anxious moments, especially backing up by myself. Good thing I got out and checked before continuing my initial backup or I would have done some damage to the back of the Palazzo. Some traffic cones helped.

Going from Lenoir to my present location near Linville, both RV and car GPS said to take the Blue Ridge Parkway rather than 221. I had my doubts since I have driven parts of the parkway that were fun in the Lexus but not what I would want to do in the RV. But after checking Google Maps and comparing the twists and turns, I decided to go for it.

The first part before the parkway was 321 from Lenoir to Blowing Rock. Some extended steep sections I could not maintain 50 and dropped as low as 35.

The parkway was great. While there were lots of twists and turns, ups and downs, there was not much traffic, no trucks, smooth roadway, and the views out the big window were fabulous. Some of the overlooks were big enough but I did not stop. Driving the Palazzo on this section of the parkway was a great pleasure. The exhaust brake, transmission, and Patriot supplemental braking system got a good workout.

This afternoon I went to Linville Falls to check out the NP campground and look at the falls. Campground was nice and cheap but spaces look short. Most spaces were very narrow and are outlined with rocks. I am concerned that even if I maneuver myself to fit in a space by overhanging my rear end there is a possibility of damage to the exhaust and my steps.

Before heading up here I stopped at Tom Johnson Camping in Marion which has a big reputation. Unfortunately they did not have what I wanted and fortunately I did not see anything that made me think I needed it. Since I have seen so many comments about how great Newmars are I looked at a Ventana. Yes, it has some nice features but what a horrible floor plan. I could not fit my shoulders through the WC door without turning sideways and it had a Nevercold fridge. And what is up with that woodwork in the ceiling?

Also looked at a Forza and see they have the exact same Schwintek slide system as on the Palazzo. Hopefully Winnebago is doing a better job of building them closer to the specifications required.

Setup is getting easier but I still depend on my checklist so I don’t mess up. Hardly had to do any leveling on my current site but I put jacks down anyway to add stability.

Bottom line is that the Palazzo is going great and I’m having a good time with it.
Old 05-30-2014, 05:07 PM   #64

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Great!
We love Tom Johnson's. Going there later this month on the way west.
tcopeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 11:29 PM   #65

Happy to hear that you are enjoying yourself!

Safe travels!
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 06:49 AM   #66

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
My trip to the NC mountains after the service at Gaffney was a good warmup for my long trip this summer. My exhaust brake and supplemental brake system on the toad got a good workout.

On the return trip from the Linville Falls area I went down US 221. Lots of downhill with twists and turns. There was a three mile stretch that had a truck speed limit of 35, warning for trucks to gear down, and a runway truck stopping area. I had no problem with wanting to stay at or below that speed limit.

But I should have checked the route more carefully. The GPS said to take I26 so I figured that would be an easier ride than continuing on 221. I should have checked the entire route more carefully since taking I26 meant going to Asheville and connect with I40. Well, I26 between Marion and Asheville was no fun. It started raining, then foggy as I started climbing back up to elevations I had just left. Lots of traffic, low visibility, poor road conditions, I should have stayed on 221.

I dislike the RVND 7710 even more than before. It needed to be reset about 10 times and I see in reviews online that is not uncommon. I also find it awkward to review an entire route and overall don't like the user interface. So I am going to get the Garmin 760. Since Best Buy dropped the price that may mean Garmin is about to come out with a newer one but I'm not waiting. Anyone want an RVND cheap?

I can't say I notice a significant difference with the alignment and tire pressure adjustment done at Gaffney. On the other hand, I didn't have a significant complaint before. It does not surprise me that it is still affected by wind and varying road conditions require steering attention.

I am making a few minor modifications to my checklists and significant additions to my food packing list. I have also come to the conclusion that with all those storage compartments and all the "stuff" I can't find that I need an inventory on the computer that I can search to tell me what compartment to find it in. Also have some ideas about the pantry.

So it was a great trip with no problems and no complaints about the Palazzo.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:00 AM   #67

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Jerry -

Good to see you getting out and using the Palazzo.

Gary
gmadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:11 AM   #68

+1... glad that you are enjoying the use of your Pallazzo, I for one am a big fan of this MH... we will have a big trip coming up this summer, 6 weeks towards CO and will do some boondocking as well.... can't wait!
Old 06-03-2014, 08:39 AM   #69

Thor Owners Club
Butte64,
Check out www.factoryoutletstore.com
I picked up a factory refurbished Garmin Dezl 760 LMT for $239 with free shipping. I don't believe they are still available at that price but you will still get a better price.
Berlin Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 10:54 AM   #70

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berlin Kid View Post
Butte64,
Check out www.factoryoutletstore.com
I picked up a factory refurbished Garmin Dezl 760 LMT for $239 with free shipping. I don't believe they are still available at that price but you will still get a better price.
love our Garmin. Have had difficulty updating it though.. as some of the reviews said the same. Great though..

If you buy it from camping world log into Good Sam Club website first and you can get a coupon for a free hard case. we use the case when we take the GPS in the toad with us. I'm sure it's cheaper on amazon though but we just happened to be in camping world and I don't like waiting on things..
wstrace3 is offline   Reply With Quote