Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-11-2022, 05:29 PM   #1

What's in the basement walls?

Does anyone know what's inside (if anything) the walls between storage compartments in the basement?

I wouldn't expect there to be anything structural, but am definitely curious!
jtreminio is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2022, 08:25 PM   #2

In my two different RVs, there was nothing between them but air. And the occasional structural piece of iron. They are made as separate units so it's easier to build, store, and install them on the factory floor, rather then having a 25 foot long section of cabinets all connected together.

But, I dunno what RV you have. Maybe post some pics?

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 10:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
In my two different RVs, there was nothing between them but air. And the occasional structural piece of iron. They are made as separate units so it's easier to build, store, and install them on the factory floor, rather then having a 25 foot long section of cabinets all connected together.

But, I dunno what RV you have. Maybe post some pics?
2021 Palazzo 37.4

Apologies, I posted in the Palazzo forum but since there's so many it might not have been clear!

Pictures attached. It'd be nice to knock down those walls if they're not structural, it's a good 6" of space taken up that I could def. use.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-08-30 16.17.14.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	353.4 KB
ID:	362122   Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-08-30 16.22.02.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	349.7 KB
ID:	362123  

Old 04-12-2022, 09:29 AM   #4

Now you should crawl underneath and take pictures.

If you own the rig outright, no reason you can't start pulling stuff apart to see how it's made. Like I tell myself when I'm remodeling or repairing...someone put this together, it has to come apart the same way only backwards. Then I take lots of photos as I pull it apart.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 03:55 PM   #5

Follow-up on this: I removed some of the white wall material in the two large pass-thru storage bays, specifically the material between the two.

There is a horizontal support that takes up maybe 50% of the vertical space, seemingly across the entire width of the storage bay. It takes up the top half.

The area between the chassis frame (the two large steel beams that run from the front of the RV to the back) has the most open space available, but only the bottom half. I would say this is the only "useful" space.

The area on the outside of the chassis frame has some available space (again, only the lower half of the wall), but there is a diagonal support beam that makes the space not very useful.

Additionally, the material Thor makes the walls out of contain fiberglass which itch like the dickens.

If you _really_ need the availability of maybe 24"x14" of space that allows passing from one storage bay to the other, this might be worth exploring.

Otherwise, get a taller RV that has more useable storage!
Old 05-07-2022, 01:36 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Check out some old post by Gearhead777 from around June 2020. This owner tore out his entire freshwater and control compartments due to water damage and rebuilt them into something beautiful. Lots of incredible pictures.
Rookie Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 11:11 AM   #7

Thanks for the compliment! Everything I have done has been working out great. I haven't added a cover panel to the drivers side wet bay yet, I like seeing everything when I open the door. If I ever sell the rig I would do it for the next owner, but I don't see that happening for a long time. I use the hose on the passenger side all the time when at the beach for sandy feet.

Not much room between the bays, would be a lot of effort for space that is not very reachable. I made access panels in the large bay if I ever had to work on the rear mechanicals. The only other area I would consider adding storage to is the DEF tank bay, although it might need to be removable for service access.