Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Palazzo Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-05-2015, 07:50 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Where did my water go !!!

So... preparing to dry camp this past weekend for a LSU home game I filled up the fresh water tank. Get out to Tiger Stadium at 6am Friday to get my spot and after setting up it's of course time to make coffee. I noticed the water kind of sputtering out of the faucet so I thought maybe there was air in the lines. Flushed the toilet and the same and again when turning on the faucets. Now i'm getting panicked. Dry camping with two kids and the DW with no water is not going to fly. So I pulled up IRV2 to see which water pumps you guys have replaced with and wrote it down so now it's time to go out and pull the old water pump out.

While getting ready to take it out my wrench slipped and hit the water tank letting off a very unmistakable hollow echoing sound. Yep... the water tank was empty. Now i'm really in panic mode. Putting in a new water pump is much easier than finding a water leak. As the crowd behind me grew and of course all offering various opinions I opened the wet bay. The lowest drain on the water tank, all the way to the left that you have to get on your knees and look under the panel to see, had snapped in half and let all of the water out. I unscrewed the threaded piece from the tank and put new Teflon tape and put it back in. Luckily I had modified my outdoor shower with a piece that allowed me to hook up a water hose to it. I took that piece off and attached it to the male threads coming out of the water tank and attached a 3 foot hose to it with a sprayer attached that would keep the water from leaking back out.

That was a good temporary fix but of course I had to put the slides back in and go to a local campground and fill up with water and get back out there and set up all over again. but... we had water.

Moral of the story is the old K.I.S.S.. Keep it simple stupid... if I would have checked the water tank even though I had just filled it up I could have saved hours of messing around and then trying to replace the water pump. Another to go down in our book of RVing... The book is getting pretty thick by the way.

Has anyone else had this happen ??? I have no idea how that fitting snapped. Our roads are pretty crappy though..
wstrace3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2015, 10:16 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Good Tips! Always check the simplest first - but sometimes we all think Zebra when hearing hoofbeats...
Old 10-06-2015, 04:40 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When I read your description, I thought to myself, I carry a short expandable sewer hose in the wet bay compartment. Over our rough roads, it could hit the tank drain and cause it to snap off. Do you carry any items in yours and could that have been the cause?
Peterrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 08:40 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterrrr View Post
When I read your description, I thought to myself, I carry a short expandable sewer hose in the wet bay compartment. Over our rough roads, it could hit the tank drain and cause it to snap off. Do you carry any items in yours and could that have been the cause?
there is nothing loose in the bay. the fresh water tank must have shifted for the fitting to have snapped like that. But the tank was full at the time so maybe it has been slowing cracking and finally gave out. But I always leave the tank at least half full and had no water leakage.
wstrace3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 06:51 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I hope your tank did not shift. Not sure if you read this thread before. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f281/pote...es-246786.html Its on my list of things to check.
Peterrrr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water